Scrooge "A Christmas Carol" (1951) Trailer with Alastair Sim
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 25, 2009
Get SCROOGE "A Christmas Carol" at ► http://bit.ly/Scrooge1951
MP3s ► http://XmasTRAX.com ► Mobile ► http://iXmas.mobi
Original movie trailer. Scrooge (1951), released as A Christmas Carol in the U.S., is one of the best-known film adaptations of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. It starred Alastair Sim as Ebenezer Scrooge and was directed by Brian Desmond Hurst, with a screenplay by Noel Langley.
The film also features Kathleen Harrison in an acclaimed turn as Mrs. Dilber, Scrooge's charwoman. Fans of British cinema will recognise George Cole as the younger version of Scrooge, Hermione Baddeley as Mrs. Cratchit, Mervyn Johns as Bob Cratchit, Clifford Mollison as Samuel Wilkins, a debtor, Jack Warner as Mr. Jorkin, a role created for the film, Ernest Thesiger as Marley's undertaker, and Patrick Macnee as a young Jacob Marley. Michael Hordern plays Marley's ghost, as well as old Marley. Peter Bull serves as narrator, by reading portions of Dickens' words at the beginning and end of the film, and also appears on-screen as one of the businessmen cynically discussing Scrooge's funeral.
In the book, Mrs. Dilber is the name of the laundress whereas the charwoman was unnamed. The film also expands on the story by detailing Scrooge's rise as a prominent businessman who was corrupted by a greedy new mentor that had lured him away from the benevolent Mr. Fezziwig. When that new mentor, who does not appear at all in Dickens's original story, is discovered to be an embezzler, the opportunistic Scrooge and Marley offer to compensate the company's losses on the condition that they receive control of the company for which they work - and so, Scrooge and Marley is born. During the Ghost of Christmas Present sequence, the film also reveals that Scrooge's girlfriend from his younger days, Alice, works with the homeless and sick.
In this adaptation, a flashback during the Ghost of Christmas Past sequence shows that Ebenezer's mother died while giving birth to him which meant that, unlike the book, Ebenezer is younger than his sister Fan. The death of his mother caused his father to resent Ebenezer which he is reminded of by the Ghost of Christmas Past when Scrooge bitterly mentions that Fan died from complications after delivering his nephew, Fred.
In addition, the film has a scene where Ebenezer comes to his nephew's home on Christmas Day with some trepidation that he would be rejected because of his previous behaviour; however, Fred and his wife immediately give him a warm welcome, delighted to have his company at last.
Although the film was first shown on television as far back as 1954 (by local New York station WOR-TV), it did not attain its current popularity in the USA until the 1970s, when it began to be shown on local NET and later PBS, stations. Until then, the most widely seen film version in the U.S. was MGM's 1938 adaptation starring Reginald Owen. The Alastair Sim version had received a favourable notice from The New York Times when it opened in 1951, and a mixed review in Time magazine criticizing the direction while praising the performances, but otherwise had not caused much of a stir. However, in the years since, it has attained classic status in the U.S. and become a favorite of the viewing public as well. Sim's characterisation of Scrooge, from mean and sinister to happy and generous, receives particular praise.
Alastair Sim and Michael Hordern reprised their roles two decades later, lending their voices to Richard Williams' 1971 animated version of the tale. * Alastair Sim as Ebenezer Scrooge * Kathleen Harrison as Mrs. Dilber * Mervyn Johns as Bob Cratchit * Hermione Baddeley as Mrs. Cratchit * Michael Hordern as Jacob Marley/Marley's Ghost * Michael J. Dolan as Ghost of Christmas Past * Francis de Wolff as Ghost of Christmas Present * C. Konarski as Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come * George Cole as Young Ebenezer Scrooge * John Charlesworth as Peter Cratchit * Rona Anderson as Alice * Glyn Dearman as Tiny Tim * Hugh Dempster as Mr. Groper * Louise Hampton as Laundress * Carol Marsh as Fan * Jack Warner as Mr. Jorkin * Roddy Hughes as Fezziwig * Richard Pearson as Mr Tupper * Hattie Jacques as Mrs. Fezziwig * Patrick Macnee as Young Jacob Marley * Brian Worth as Fred
SCROOGE "A Christmas Carol" Blu-Ray & DVD
Copyright Disclaimer: Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
Standard YouTube License
- 17:43 Cute Mario Bros - A Christmas Carolby MarioMario8989 Featured 1,017,249
- 1:26:32 Srooge. (1951) A Christmas Carol. HD Full Movie.by scrog7737,060 views
- 1:41:06 A Christmas Carol (1984 Full Film)by Mulciber Tenebras489,618 views
- 1:26:45 Scrooge (1951) Colourised Version [With Introduction]by Magical Movie Express3,821 views
- 1:23:01 Scrooge (1951) Alastair Sim, Jack Warner and Kathleen Harrison FULL MOVIEby TNMamaBear36,984 views
- 1:18:02 Scrooge (1935) Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" w/ Seymour Hicksby XmasFLIX9,494 views
- 25:37 Vincent Price: Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol (1949) [Film]by XmasFLIX23,344 views
- 8:12 A Christmas Carol -- Marley's Ghost - A Great Sceneby Mark Thomas132,344 views
- 3:02 Muppet Christmas Carol - Thankful Heartby TheMonkfan1992291,344 views
- 1:47:20 London Belongs To Me (Public Domain)by MrSpecky6662,069 views
- 1:41:06 A Christmas Carol (1984) - Full Movieby SuperMegaChristmas8,675 views
- 1:28:00 Scrooge (A Christmas Carol) 1951 Alastair Sim.)by John Parker40,812 views
- 7 videos Play all scrooge (1951)by MrJsc1996
- 2:11 A Christmas Carol 1938by Janneke Filmfood5,892 views
- 1:33:34 Духи Рождества / A Christmas Carol (США, 1999г.)by ReiserMSK29,888 views
- 1:26:07 John Mills, Alastair Sim & George Cole Star In Cottage to Letby MovieHyphenArchives7,811 views
- 1:25:45 1938 Alf's Button Afloat (Crazy Gang, Alastair Sim, Wally Patch)by ScreenStageAndSong1,783 views
- 8:44 A Christmas Dream (1946) "Vánoční sen" (1945) Zeman Brosby XmasFLIX49,414 views
- 1:41:01 A Christ-mass Carol (Scott 1984) As Affloholism dies, Joy's Born.aviby John Garden83,415 views
- 12:34 Scrooge (Part 1of8)by Catsav Boots5,093 views