Egypt's young review goals of revolt
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 25, 2013
http://www.euronews.com/ The end for Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and his government began two years ago. Young opposition activists coordinated their protest campaign through Internet social media. After 26 days of massive demonstrations, Mubarak, the ruler for three decades, was led away. Our correspondent in Cairo, Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, has been talking to some of the people who made it happen.
Young Egyptians played a key role in the revolution of 25 January. They'd had enough of declining living conditions and suppression of political expression under a corrupt regime. Individuals like Ali Alarabi revolted against injustices suffered by many.
Alarabi said: "I remember the beginning when we were overcome by teargas. When we smelled it, we smelled success, because gas is not used to stop small numbers, where a baton charge will do the job. Gas is used when there is massive protest, and this reassured us. At the same time it was strangling us; we were pouring tears, exhausted.
"But gas meant overwhelming numbers. A friend took me on his shoulders, and I saw how many we were in the demonstration. We shouted at the government: 'You raise the price of sugar and oil and force us to sell our furniture to pay for it!'"
Shaikhibrahim added to the context at one of the revolution's main coordination centres: "The El-Borsa Café has been described as a shelter, a liberated zone, a rebel den, a danger... This is where the revolutionaries met and planned blockades, and were arrested, including Ahmed Doma, one of the Egyptian revolution's most prominent political activists."
Doma said: "In the early days of the revolution, we succeeded in finishing Mubarak and tearing down his symbols, bringing them to trial. In addition, there was changing the constitution, even though the new constitution was born deformed. Then we had a presidential election, even though it turns out the president is a traitor within the framework of the revolution. But we accomplished these key dangerous tasks, especially for the silent majority, who can now take to the streets and be certain that their voice counts."
Some 800 people were killed in the revolution, mostly young, like Shahab-al Sayed. Yet since the start of the revolution his mother has never given up protesting in Tahrir Square.
Mouna Abed al Fatah said: "I do not want to feel that he died in vain. I want all Egyptians to share in the revolution, and they still feel the goals have not been reached, to be able to say 'no' and not be afraid."
Shaikhibrahim said: "Tahrir Square is where the revolution for freedom and social justice began, where the first cheer went up. Two years later, the rebels of Tahrir Square maintain the same demand: that revolution continue until the people's right to self-determination is realised."
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 1:02 Egypt's President Mursi faces growing calls to step downby Euronews 213 views
- 1:21 Mali: French troops liberate Diabalyby Euronews 7,686 views
- 0:56 Protests in Turkey as NATO missiles arriveby Euronews 5,886 views
- 1:15 In Mali rebels try to buy supportby Euronews 5,699 views
- 10:08 VLOG-EL GOUNA IN EGYPT!by dinatokio 15,144 views
- 3:00 Prayercast | Egyptby Prayercast 7,169 views
- 2:14 Palestinians living in Egypt suffer an undignified existenceby AlJazeeraEnglish 2,120 views
- 50:29 Egipto tecnologia imposible documental completoby vladimir87tu 828,956 views
- 44:22 National Geographic Secrets of Egypt - The Pyramid Codeby wie ben jij 178,476 views
- 1:01 Egyptian Cleric Sami Abu Al-'Ala Calls on God to Annihilate Jews, Make Them Widows and Orphansby MEMRITVVideos 4,696 views
- 7:16 Around the World - Egypt & Italy Day 5by SerialPranksters 73,665 views
- 6:01 Egypt on the Brink: Women Under Assault (VICE on HBO Ep. #6 Extended)by vice 29,795 views
- 5:28 Clear Evidence Of Ancient Advanced Machining At The Great Pyramid In Egyptby Brien Foerster 21,531 views
- 6:18 Playmobil - Egyptby julianshobbyshop 634,883 views
- 8:55 Around the World - Thailand & Egypt Day 3by SerialPranksters 74,333 views
- 4:52 أحمد دومة وأجرئ ما قيل على د: مرسى والإخوانby Ahmed Mostafa 772 views
- 17:01 Egypt's Threefold Judgmentby sbpitn 2,495 views
- 0:47 Clashes on Egypt revolution anniversaryby telegraphtv 1,135 views
- 2:55 Post-Revolt Despair: Egyptians driven to crime to surviveby RussiaToday 3,522 views
- 1:52 Five people killed in Egyptby MinWashingtonNews 24 views
- Loading more suggestions...