Pathe Demonstration Record 1914 played on a Pathe Solophone Phonograph
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 15, 2009
Here is an original Pathe Demonstration Record "Exhibiting the superiority of tone of a Pathe Recording."
I would imagine that this recording was used by Pathe Dealers across the USA when Pathe was trying to gain a foothold in the American Phonograph Market beginning in 1914. The record promotes the advantages of the permanent Sapphire ball needle used to play the Vertical Groove Pathe records and the fact that they will not rip and tear and wear your record like the Steel needle system of the Competitors.
The Phonograph is a very rare Pathe Solophone Model 125 from the late 19teens. The Solophone Phonograph was mfg. by the Solophone Phonograph Company of Harrison, New Jersey (Note the face of the reproducer still says SOLOPHONE not Pathe), and was originally advertised in "Talking Machine World" in 1916. The Company was not in business very long and their remaining inventory of phonographs were probably bought up by Pathe, and The ID plates were changed and the Phonographs were then sold as a Pathe Solophone. According to "Pathe Phonographs & Records in America 1914-1922 " this is thought to be the only survivor of this model known to exist. The reproducer is also capable of playing regular lateral groove records by removing the Pathe Sapphire Ball needle and inserting a regular steel needle after adjusting the set screw and swiveling the head to the correct position for play. As far as I can see the Solophone Phonograph had only one unique feature, notice at the tone arm base, that there is a small gold lever. This moves in semi-circle back and forth and operates a rotating baffle inside the base of the Tone arm as a "Tone" or Volume control. It is the only phonograph I have come across with the rotating internal baffle.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:47 The best way to play Edison Diamond Disc recordsby lfmudge1,938 views
- 7:23 EDISON LONG PLAY & KITTEN ON THE KEYS 1921 ZEZ CONFREY Diamond Disc Phonographby sanfranphono13,847 views
- 4:02 Pathe Solophone Phonograph plays 14" Pathe Record from 1916by victrolaman3,558 views
- 10:01 How It's Made - Vinyl Recordsby simfhost135,681 views
- 9:16 Edison Dance Reproducer.movby Moooperator815 views
- 5:12 Edison Diamond Disc A-250 Playing "Trick Pickin Chick-Chick-Chicken"by MusicBoxBoy3,328 views
- 6:08 Edison A-250 Diamond Disc Phonograph Playing "Radio" Fox Trot & Songby MusicBoxBoy6,452 views
- 4:55 PATHE PLAYING EDISON DIAMOND DISCby THEVICTROLAGUY1,361 views
- 43:59 The Phonograph (Documentary)by joshgriess20103,630 views
- 5:56 Let Us Not Forget - Edison's Message to the American People - 1919 Edison Army/Navy Phonographby victrolaman818 views
- 12:10 1927 "VARSITY DRAG" Played On Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph Early Model A-250 (Disc #52109)by MusicBoxBoy385 views
- 5:19 I'm Always Chasing Rainbows - First Recorded version by Harry Fox - 1918 Columbia Recordby victrolaman1,059 views
- 5:50 Rolling Stones - Gather Moss (British Pathe News, 1964)by Cactus2912198945,445 views
- 3:17 1898 Edison BROWN Wax Cylinder Announced "At Edison's Laboratory" Roosevelt's Rough Riders Marchby MusicBoxBoy15,695 views
- 4:14 RCA Victor Victrola 78 RPM record player Demonstrator model 66E from 1946by desoto19613,475 views
- 3:54 California Ramblers 1928 RED HOT! Edison Discby 2reeler2,152 views
- 8:23 No 90 MILITARY ORO-PHONE ADAPTOR FOR EDISON DIAMOND DISC PHONOGRAPHby cdbpdx299 views
- 4:32 Fonografo Edison Standard. Funcionando. 1905by Jose Pascual Aznar16,351 views
- 3:47 Pathe Demonstration Record 1914 played on a Pathe Solophone Phonographby victrolaman311 views
- 11:32 Jim Europe's 369th Hell Fighters Band 1919 Pathe On Victor III Phonograph With VICSONIA Reproducer!by MusicBoxBoy145 views
- Loading more suggestions...