Asteroid Discovery From 1980 - 2010
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 25, 2010
Video Created by Scott Manley, this is a view of the solar system showing the locations of all the asteroids starting in 1980, as asteroids are discovered they are added to the map and highlighted white so you can pick out the new ones.
The final colour of an asteroids indicates how closely it comes to the inner solar system.
Earth Crossers are Red
Earth Approachers (Perihelion less than 1.3AU) are Yellow
All Others are Green
Notice now the pattern of discovery follows the Earth around its orbit, most discoveries are made in the region directly opposite the Sun. You'll also notice some clusters of discoveries on the line between Earth and Jupiter, these are the result of surveys looking for Jovian moons. Similar clusters of discoveries can be tied to the other outer planets, but those are not visible in this video.
As the video moves into the mid 1990's we see much higher discovery rates as automated sky scanning systems come online. Most of the surveys are imaging the sky directly opposite the sun and you'll see a region of high discovery rates aligned in this manner.
At the beginning of 2010 a new discovery pattern becomes evident, with discovery zones in a line perpendicular to the Sun-Earth vector. These new observations are the result of the WISE (Widefield Infrared Survey Explorer) which is a space mission that's tasked with imaging the entire sky in infrared wavelengths.
The scale of the video at 1080P resolution is roughly 1million kilometers per pixel, and each second of video corresponds to 60 days.
Currently we have observed over half a million minor planets, and the discovery rates show no sign that we're running out of undiscovered objects, scientific estimates suggest that there are about a billion asteroids larger than 100metres (about the size of a football field) .
Orbital elements were taken from the 'astorb.dat' data created by Ted Bowell and associates at ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/elgb/astorb.htm
Music is 'Transgenic' by Trifonic: http://www.amazon.com/Emergence-Trifo... - they're awesome guys, give them some love.
Check out todays asteroid map at http://szyzyg.arm.ac.uk/~spm/neo_map....
Quite a few journalists, bloggers and tweeters are attributing this to NASA or Arecibo Observatory - while they do fine work they had nothing to do with this. If you write a story you can credit it to Scott Manley.
If you are needing a higher quality video or images for a specific purposes - education, news or just eye candy I can supply them on a case by case basis.
Thanks for the Interest!
Over a thousand tweets http://topsy.com/trackback?url=http%3...
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Transgenic" on
- 19:41 Kerbal Space Program - Rescaled Kerbin Modby Scott Manley Featured 104,197
- Discovery 5,679 videos1M
- 14:09 Kerbal Space Program - Interstellar Mod - Non OP Warp Driveby Scott Manley133,079 views
- 17:47 Kerbal Space Program - The Interstellar Quest - Episode 1by Scott Manley113,361 views
- 38:43 Kerbal Space Program Tutorial Getting To And Landing On Moonsby Scott Manley75,128 views
- 15:44 Kerbal Space Program - Eve Or Bust - Episode 3 - The Mobile Science Labby Scott Manley66,851 views
- 1:54:22 Earth From Space HD 1080p / Novaby mavireck229,413 views
- 152 videos Play all Othersby freakyboy8418
- 1:30:01 National Geographic: The Story of Earth HDby ClimateState372,595 views
- 12:26 WHAT IS THIS INCOMING PLANET NASA? DID YOU TELL THE WORLD/PUBLIC IT'S COMING!!by mon roe25,746 views
- 1:29:59 Evacuate Earth (death by a neutron star) full movie in HDby Vesta MediaDOQ1,036,748 views
- 4:09 How many planets are there in the Solar System?by msk14531,033,342 views
- 3:29 Asteroid Discovery from 1980 - 2011 (4K HD version)by Scott Manley97,097 views
- 3:19 Earth 100 Million Years From Nowby SpaceRip6,628,813 views
- 25:18 Mars: World That Never Wasby SpaceRip554,773 views
- 31:13 Earth in 1000 Yearsby SpaceRip325,055 views
- 45:08 (HD) Earth Under Water in Next 20 Years - National Geographic Documentaryby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,179,061 views
- 14:59 8/9/13 NASA WHISTLEBLOWER SAYS BILLIONS OF PEOPLE ABOUT TO DIE - ASTEROIDby secureteam10698,951 views
- 2:02:39 Asteroidby SrLusofono1,450,463 views
- 1:30:00 Down To The Earths Core National Geographicby Patrick Carta527,923 views