Asteroid Discovery From 1980 - 2010
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 25, 2010
Video Created by Scott Manley, this is a view of the solar system showing the locations of all the asteroids starting in 1980, as asteroids are discovered they are added to the map and highlighted white so you can pick out the new ones.
The final colour of an asteroids indicates how closely it comes to the inner solar system.
Earth Crossers are Red
Earth Approachers (Perihelion less than 1.3AU) are Yellow
All Others are Green
Notice now the pattern of discovery follows the Earth around its orbit, most discoveries are made in the region directly opposite the Sun. You'll also notice some clusters of discoveries on the line between Earth and Jupiter, these are the result of surveys looking for Jovian moons. Similar clusters of discoveries can be tied to the other outer planets, but those are not visible in this video.
As the video moves into the mid 1990's we see much higher discovery rates as automated sky scanning systems come online. Most of the surveys are imaging the sky directly opposite the sun and you'll see a region of high discovery rates aligned in this manner.
At the beginning of 2010 a new discovery pattern becomes evident, with discovery zones in a line perpendicular to the Sun-Earth vector. These new observations are the result of the WISE (Widefield Infrared Survey Explorer) which is a space mission that's tasked with imaging the entire sky in infrared wavelengths.
The scale of the video at 1080P resolution is roughly 1million kilometers per pixel, and each second of video corresponds to 60 days.
Currently we have observed over half a million minor planets, and the discovery rates show no sign that we're running out of undiscovered objects, scientific estimates suggest that there are about a billion asteroids larger than 100metres (about the size of a football field) .
Orbital elements were taken from the 'astorb.dat' data created by Ted Bowell and associates at ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/elgb/astorb.htm
Music is 'Transgenic' by Trifonic: http://www.amazon.com/Emergence-Trifo... - they're awesome guys, give them some love.
Check out todays asteroid map at http://szyzyg.arm.ac.uk/~spm/neo_map....
Quite a few journalists, bloggers and tweeters are attributing this to NASA or Arecibo Observatory - while they do fine work they had nothing to do with this. If you write a story you can credit it to Scott Manley.
If you are needing a higher quality video or images for a specific purposes - education, news or just eye candy I can supply them on a case by case basis.
Thanks for the Interest!
Over a thousand tweets http://topsy.com/trackback?url=http%3...
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Transgenic" on
- 3:19 Earth 100 Million Years From Nowby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the WebFeatured 5,136,396
- 25:18 Mars: World That Never Wasby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 419,223 views
- 21:29 The Search For Earth-Like Planetsby SpaceRip 1,619,660 views
- 5:58 ASTEROIDS SLAM INTO THE SUNby nasanoodles 1,874,224 views
- 3:29 Asteroid Discovery from 1980 - 2011 (4K HD version)by Scott Manley 83,653 views
- 1:00 Cloaked UFO in Italy Google street viewby Stan Atamanchuk 7,662,077 views
- 0:41 Asteroid Belt - Edge On Viewby Scott Manley 25,519 views
- 20:34 Planet Earth seen from space (Full HD 1080p) ORIGINALby sebastiansz space 3,920,406 views
- 22:09 Venus: Death of a Planet (Version One)by SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 856,815 views
- 2:30 All Alone in the Night - Time-lapse footage of the Earth as seen from the ISSby David Peterson 5,502,545 views
- 6:41 Asteroid Discovery From 1980 - 2010 (Half Speed)by Scott Manley 7,688 views
- 4:31 Asteroid To Hit Earth In 2036?by The Young Turks 737,385 views
- 6:38 Laser Pumped Flying Saucer Spacecraftby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 897,261 views
- 3:14 Earth at night seen from space ISS (HD 1080p) ORIGINALby sebastiansz space 1,130,735 views
- 21:15 When Will Time End? (Version 1)by SpaceRip 3,391,412 views
- 1:07:55 The Asteroid Challenge: Will We Be Ready?by Stanford University 3,664 views
- 4:08 How many planets are there in the Solar System?by msk1453 870,376 views
- 6:31 The Known Universe by AMNHby AMNHorg 11,661,974 views
- 3:09 30 Years Of Asteroid Discovery - Simple Versionby Scott Manley 4,260 views
- 18:48 The Largest Black Holes in the Universe (VERSION ONE)by SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 6,379,962 views
- Loading more suggestions...