Academic Excellence in 140 Characters
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 1, 2010
This is a video created by one of my students to summarize the research we conducted on the effects of Twitter on student engagement and grades. The journal article summarizing the study and our findings is available online at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10...
Despite the widespread use of social media by students and its increased use by instructors, very little empirical evidence is available concerning the impact of social media use on student learning and engagement. This paper describes our semester-long experimental study to deter-mine if using Twitter -- the microblogging and social networking platform most amenable to ongoing, public dialogue -- for educationally relevant purposes can impact college student engagement and grades. A total of 125 students taking a ﬁrst year seminar course for pre-health professional majors participated in this study (70 in the experimental group and 55 in the control group). With the experimental group, Twitter was used for various types of academic and co-curricular discussions. Engagement was quantiﬁed by using a 19-item scale based on the National Survey of Student Engagement. To assess differences in engagement and grades, we used mixed effects analysis of variance (ANOVA) models, with class sections nested within treatment groups. We also conducted content analyses of samples of Twitter exchanges. The ANOVA results showed that the experimental group had a signiﬁcantly greater increase in engagement than the control group, as well as higher semester grade point averages. Analyses of Twitter communications showed that students and faculty were both highly engaged in the learning process in ways that transcended traditional classroom activities. This study provides experimental evidence that Twitter can be used as an educational tool to help engage students and to mobilize faculty into a more active and participatory role.
Note: Study participant identifying information has been anonymized in this video.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:35:47 The War on Kids: The Definitive Documentary on the Failure of the Public Education Systemby Joe JosephFeatured 42,205
- 16:55 TEDxPhilly - Chris Lehmann - Education is brokenby TEDxTalks 29,712 views
- 5:19 The Twitter Experiment - Twitter in the Classroomby kesmit3 144,853 views
- 12:51 Student Engagement And Motivation Tips - HOW to engage your studentsby Rob Plevin 2,924 views
- 3:39 Teacher Tips: Using Twitter in the Classroomby Chris Haskell 6,256 views
- Twitter 812,131 videos22K
- 2:32 Twitter in the Classroom on CNNby AcademicArtistTV 2,853 views
- 1:56 Twitter in the classroom?by UniversityofMinn 46,286 views
- 59:33 Presentation by Utahns Against Common Coreby Oak Norton 1,746 views
- 1:21:52 Mixed effects models for cognitive science: A tutorialby Mike Lawrence 892 views
- 10:09 RSA Animate - The Secret Powers of Timeby The RSA 3,174,213 views
- 2:06 21st century pedagogyby Greg Whitby 311,212 views
- 1:07:47 Rey Junco on Twitter in the College Classroomby BerkmanCenter 15,303 views
- 1:58 Engaging Studentsby Katy Baker 11,534 views
- 5:37 Learning to Change-Changing to Learnby floyda007 236,332 views
- 1:12 Twitter in educationby Mathieu Plourde 6,104 views
- 34:17 50 Renowned Academics Speaking About God (Part 1)by J Pararajasingham 236,558 views
- 1:16 Twitter 140 Proof: Tech News Case Study - CTRby 140proof 5,788 views
- 58:40 The Classroom Experiment (Ep.2)by DocZooDocz 9,789 views
- 3:46 The Marshmallow Study Revisitedby UniversityRochester 57,480 views
- 1:10 Hotseat at Purdue Universityby purdueitap 18,119 views
- Loading more suggestions...