This video may be inappropriate for some users.
CAUGHT ON TAPE: Officer Shot In The Head, El Cajon Police Shootout
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2012
EL CAJON - August 21, 2011 - An officer is shot right in front of a news camera. The entire event is caught on camera including shots fired, officer rescue, SWAT standoff, house fire, helicopter water drops, and more. The suspect, Kevin Collier, shot his 1-year old daughter, his mother-in-law and then police showed up (me too). Upon arriving, officers were met with gunfire from the suspect who had a rifle of some sort. Officer Jared Slocum was leaning over the bed of a pickup truck with only his head exposed. He was struck in the left temple and it exited the rear of his skull. He was NOT shot in the neck, as it appears and was initially perceived. The suspect then set the house on fire, before shooting himself. The fire department could not approach because officers could not confirm if the suspect was dead or not. Firefighters are not going to walk up to a home with the possibility of a man inside with a rifle. Officers requested Mercy Air for transport, but instead took the wounded officer by ground in a patrol car as it would be much quicker. This was on a dead-end street, so the rescue of having to pass the line of fire was very risky. A gas line explodes at one point (bluish smoke). SWAT set up and work with the fire department to help slow the rate of spread. Two helicopters begin water drops, which I have never seen before on a structure, only brush fires. Officer Slocum is doing well, but has decided to "medically retire" from the El Cajon Police Department, move, and go back to college. The officer who was with him, Officer Tim McFarland, was a rookie at the time and was being trained by Slocum. So if anyone wants to badmouth him, keep in mind he was still learning the ropes and in my opinion did everything right. Officer Slocum's wound, although severe due to the location, had very very little blood loss. So for those appauled that none of us applied pressure, quite frankly it wasn't neccessary and he was capable of doing it himself. And for all you anti-cop commenters, keep in mind, officers are still humans with families. The men and women in this video are excellent officers. Especially Slocum and McFarland.
For the naysayers:
* The officer was shot in the left temple, not the neck. Period. I was there. I shot the video. It looks like he was shot in the neck, but he was in shock and holding the wrong area. You can see the exit wound in the back of his head in the video. See the followup interview with both officers.
* Technically the officer was shot 1/2 second before the video begins. Enable HD and pause the first few frames. You see him getting up from the chain link fence. He was thrown back from the force of the shot and kind of bounced off the springy fence. He then gets up and returns fire.
* This is not fake. Google "Jared Slocum" "Tim McFarland" "Prince St" etc and you will find that every major media agency in the world ran this story. To fake such a video would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. http://www.google.com/search?q=8/21/2...
* The suspect lit the house on fire, then shot himself. Police did not burn the house down.
FOLLOWUP INTERVIEW WITH THE OFFICERS MONTHS LATER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYMnpq...
"Slocum, 28, said the bullet pierced his left temple, cracked his skull, severed arteries and came out behind his other ear. He said his doctors said his recovery so far is a miracle."
Former El Cajon Police Chief (at the time) Pat Sprecco said "That'll be used as a training tool for a long time", referring to the footage.
1033 Prince St, El Cajon
Facebook (new)! https://www.facebook.com/SanDiegoNews...
Twitter (new)! https://twitter.com/SanDiegoNewsVid
Standard YouTube License
- This video has been age-restricted based on our Community Guidelines
- 6:11 Main Event: Dr.Rico vs. Dre || Suso4 || iRoamFilms || Memphis Jookin 2013by Rome90Creamate 1,701 views
- 0:54 Fat Traffic Cops Banned ( March, 2013) -- Vietnamby Kim Thuy Tran 83 views
- 17:32 Vehicule CAUGHT ON TAPE_ Officer Shot In The Head, El Cajon Police Shootout-Extremeby NewsWordful 19 views
- 1:14 Police Car Crashby Network TEN 745 views
- 1:09 Manhunt "black Rambo" Police: no body yet recovered at shootout siteby CLIKATV 113 views
- 1:27 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - El Cajon Mitsubishi - El Cajon, CA 92020by El Cajon Mitsubishi 23 views
- 0:52 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee - El Cajon CAby SoManyTrucks No views
- 41:52 MBC 뉴스데스크by MBC News 6,388 views
- 2:16 Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuanaby CBS News 11,198 views
- 0:27 Obama Heckler Escorted Out Of Speechby Huffington Post Politics 61,208 views
- 10:33 Joe and Elliott Break-Up on Truth or Dare. :(by SourceFed 24,667 views
- 3:12 What's Up with Start Upsby VlogBrothers 124,002 views