Port of Olympia Anti-Militarization Action Nov. 2007
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 9, 2007
Police use force to remove protesters blocking Stryker convoys
November 8, 2007
OLYMPIA — Members of Olympia Port Militarization Resistance (OlyPMR) blocked several convoys of military combat vehicles called Strykers beginning late last night and continuing into the morning. Dozens of protesters blocked the road with their bodies as one convoy after another exited the Port of Olympia. In each case, the convoys eventually passed after police shoved and struck protesters with batons and dragged them from the road in order to clear the way.
The demonstration began at 9:00PM when about 100 people gathered outside the port entrance chanting anti-war slogans. Large numbers of police in full riot gear marched onto the scene around 11:15PM.
At 2:30AM police doused a cluster of about 20 people with pepper spray in order to grab one man in their midst; Shyam Khanna was arrested and charged with pedestrian interference and resisting arrest. John Stiner was arrested earlier and charged with pedestrian interference. No other arrests were made.
Protesters said that police force was consistently excessive. Several people reported minor injuries, including Emiliano Guevara whose lip was split open and received other facial injuries when he was hit with a baton.
On Monday, the USNS Brittin arrived at the Port of Olympia, with a return shipment of the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division Stryker Combat Team. In May of 2006, OlyPMR attempted to block the outgoing shipment of this very same brigade; 37 people were arrested over a period of 10 days.
The soldiers of the 3rd Brigade returned to Fort Lewis about 2 weeks ago, minus the 48 who died from injuries sustained in Iraq.
When members of OlyPMR learned late last week of the incoming shipment, they released the following statement:
"We oppose Olympia's complicity in a war whose disastrous effects have been felt worldwide and we will actively resist the use of Olympia's port to further that war.
... Through nonviolent actions we intend to stop the Port of Olympia from becoming a revolving door of military machinery furthering illegal war. This war has taken the lives of 3,845 U.S. soldiers, over one million Iraqis, and has displaced millions more. These weapons are returning to be repaired and refitted for further combat. We see this as a continuation of the war despite our nation's and the Iraqi people's overwhelming opposition to the war."
OlyPMR has declared an intent to "contain" the equipment at the Port of Olympia so that it may no longer be used for illegal and immoral U.S. imperial pursuits.
****Music by Justice*****
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Genesis" on
- 5:50 Port of Olympia blockade met with Police violence 11/10/07amby televiseus6,082 views
- 5:48 Port of Olympia War Shipments Halted 11/9/07by televiseus11,053 views
- 5:16 Port Militarization Resistance -- Peppersprayed in Olympiaby Acumensch26,279 views
- 9:42 Port Militarization Resistance in Olympia, Washingtonby 143tbone7,946 views
- 4:53 Olympia Port Protestby brandon lovejoy6,259 views
- 7:49 Tased By Police Officer POLICE BRUTALITY Taseredby dothefreddy125,027 views
- 7:33 Stopping the War Olympiaby Acumensch19,983 views
- 9:48 NSM X: Olympia Washington Protest Pt. 2by deadmudman8,570 views
- 8:22 It's NOT Illegal to Film Cops. RESIST ILLEGAL ORDERS- EXERT YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHTSby freedommv11,528,091 views
- 3:33 Police State, USAby thalogic20125,285 views
- 3:04 Clark County Riot Copsby David Axe49,408 views
- 6:03 Tacoma Police arrest nonviolent protesters against Strykersby Zoltan Grossman54,033 views
- 6:57 Arrowhead Ripper Continues, Phase 2by US Military15,594 views
- 1:15 Taser shot in Colorado Springsby CSaction28,170 views
- 6:52 Port of Olympia Protest 2004by televiseus992 views
- 4:05 Sam Dodson is Free!by TackleTheWorld3,789 views
- 14:38 Wild Police Chase - South Los Angeles, CA - April 30, 2013by LocalNewsVideo1,307,681 views
- 4:00 Peace movement protesting "weapons of war" around Fort Lewisby Zoltan Grossman8,634 views
- 4:50 Do not resist arrestby RedHeadSebbe218,800 views
- 4:49 Olympia port protest part 2by brandon lovejoy2,921 views
- Loading more suggestions...