How the CIA Helped Create the Crack Epidemic
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 7, 2011
"For the better part of a decade, a San Francisco Bay Area drug ring sold tons of cocaine to the Crips and Bloods street gangs of Los Angeles and funneled millions in drug profits to a Latin American guerrilla army run by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency." So begins the controversial three part series, published last August, by Gary Webb in the San Jose Mercury News.
The story makes the allegation that beyond selling drugs in America in the 1980's, the U.S.-backed Contra rebels, fighting a Cuban-backed Nicaraguan regime, were largely responsible for introducing crack-cocaine into the U.S. This issue has raised interest to the point that a Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has begun hearings on it.
The story has been picked up by other news organizations, notably The Washington Post and The Los Angeles Times. These two papers question some of Mr. Webb's sources and his findings, especially regarding the introduction of crack into America, the targetting by Contra dealers of African-American communities and the involvement of the CIA.
In his defense, Mr. Webb told The Washington Post that "this (series) doesn't prove the CIA targeted black communities. It doesn't say this was ordered by the CIA... Essentially our trail stopped at the door of the CIA."
A 1989 Senate Foreign Relations Committee report that looked into this issue also stopped just short of implicating the CIA. It stated, "There are some serious questions as to whether or not U.S. officials involved in Central America failed to address the drug issue for fear of jeopardizing the war effort against Nicaragua."
Senator John Kerry (D-MA), Chairman of that sub-Committee, had this to say about the recent allegations raised by Mr. Webb and others, "There is no question in my mind that people affiliated with, or on the payroll of the CIA were involved in drug trafficking while involved in support of the Contras, but it is also important to note that we never found any evidence to suggest that these traffickers ever targeted any one geographic area or population group."
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Interlude" on
- 35:07 UK's Scariest Debt Collector (Full Length)by VICE Featured 2,463,452
- 50:03 How the FBI Sabotaged Black Americaby Malcolm X284,317 views
- 11:08 'Bush, Reagan let drugs flow free to US from Nicaragua' - ex-dealerby RT200,090 views
- 1:46:25 CIA Drug Ops Conspiracy (Unaired Documentary)by mystic1dave75,765 views
- 53:54 COINTELPRO: The FBI's War on Black Americaby Malcolm X86,569 views
- 45:39 CIA HIDDEN OPERATIONS Complete in it's Entiretyby EYE on CITRUS156,434 views
- 26:32 Connections between Freeway Ricky Ross, the Bush Administration, and the crack cocaine epidemicby News of Interest.TV102,983 views
- 30 videos Play all The Truthby QueenTIB
- 46:16 Louis Farrakhan: The Pain of Being a Black Man in White America Part 1by Hassan Kareem43,112 views
- 1:17:58 Slavery: A Global Investigationby Malcolm X19,522 views
- 44:51 Operation Paperclip: The CIA and the Nazisby Malcolm X45,084 views
- 10:49 Freeway Ricky Ross on Alex Jones Tv 1/5: How The CIA Supply, Control, Operate The Drug Businessby TheAlexJonesChannel137,243 views
- 1:58:50 Malcolm X on PBS 'Open Mind' show: Race Relations In Crisis (June 12, 1963)by Malcolm X192,952 views
- 9:43 MALCOLM X: OUR HISTORY WAS DESTROYED BY SLAVERYby Malcolm X2,828,309 views
- 56:45 Crystal Meth ★ The Hardest Drug - Documentary 2013by Zaida Veller2,474,683 views
- 17:08 Dying CIA Agent reveals US Government Alien Contact, Area 51 secrets, black ops and UFO knowledgeby bestideayet250,167 views
- 3:10 MALCOLM X: I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anythingby Malcolm X667,739 views
- 8:33 MALCOLM X PREDICTED THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY - A MUST VIEWby pepz77870,388 views
- 6:49 Malcolm X on racism, politics and propaganda (1964 - 1965)by djamaluddin45,508 views
- 1:36:12 CIA WhistleBlower Susan Lindauer EXPOSES Everything! "Extreme Prejudice"by amy2x .1,342,871 views