MCC Named One of the Top 10 Community Colleges in America
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 12, 2011
The Washington-based Aspen Institute has named Mott Community College as one of the top ten community colleges in America. There are more than 1,200 community colleges in the country.
"The story of Mott Community College is a story about the power of an educational institution to boost an entire community," said Josh Wyner, Executive Director of the Aspen Institute's College Excellence Program. "The economic challenges facing the Flint community are well known. As things improve, Mott Community College will deserve some of the credit for it, because this college is getting better and better in a very impressive fashion."
According to the Aspen Institute, Mott College demonstrated very strong improvement in the number of students that earned degrees and certificates over the past five years. To get there, the college created a rigorous system to measure results and identify opportunities for improvement, and test results show that student learning and completion rates have improved significantly.
The college effectively used information to make targeted investments to improve outcomes. In response to low pass rates in remedial math, for instance, the college designed a Math Empowerment Center and a new activity-based math program. This results-oriented approach has contributed to the college's marked improvement in the number of degrees and credentials conferred over the last five years, even as enrollment rates have declined.
Earlier in the year, the Aspen Institute named MCC as one of the top ten percent of community colleges but in an announcement on September 13, they went further, designating MCC as one of the top ten. This makes MCC a finalist in the competition for a $1 million prize fund that will be awarded in December in Washington, D.C.
"We appreciate the validation from national experts that Mott College is actually doing what we say we are; seeking ways to bring our students to success," said MCC President Dick Shaink. "We are committed to serve our community and we are well aware of the challenges we all face right now. Higher education is a critical gateway to a successful career and Mott College is the affordable, high-quality option."
Nearly half of all college students attend community college, with more than six million students, including youth and adult learners, enrolling in America's nearly 1,200 community colleges every year. Community colleges are also educating rapidly growing lower-income and Hispanic student populations, and for millions of Americans, represent their most promising path to education that leads to professional employment.
With four-year colleges and universities costing from $10,000-$60,000 per year per student, community colleges are growing at over four times the rate of four-year colleges, serving as the most affordable option in higher education for millions of people in this country.
Mott Community College was established in 1923. It serves more than 20,000 individuals each year with more than 100 degree and certificate programs. MCC's main campus is in Flint with additional sites in Fenton, Clio, Lapeer and Howell.
Standard YouTube License
- 25:04 The Truth About Community Collegeby Husky - Painfully Average GamerFeatured 85,872
- 1:02:47 College Conspiracy Scam in USA [HD] Full Version - Google search: 'John Taylor Gatto'by ExomatrixTV 3rd Backup 64,524 views
- 1:13:03 Mike Epps - Inappropriate Behavior Fullby REVO UNLTD 3,697,074 views
- 6:23 Profesor Rossa abre este certamen con el chiste del "mono y la lagartija" - Parte 1by MentirasLaRed 63,457 views
- 5:51 A Typical Day At Monmouth Collegeby Joe Florio 4,054 views
- 9:19 What Are U.S. Community Colleges?by EducationUSAtv 1,582 views
- 4:43 Come Study At Green River Community College | You Can Go Anywhere From Hereby greenriverintlprgms 9,231 views
- 4:04 America's Best Colleges Rankedby CBS Television 31,091 views
- 5:31 New Hope Oahu - "Waging War" By CeCe Winansby New Hope Oahu 84,404 views
- 0:31 MCC2010 Sign Language Interpreter Programby mottcollege1923 181 views
- 7:50 a typical day at lowell high schoolby Lilly Savanna 8,115 views
- 20:31 Small College in Central Florida has Global Reach Rollins College incorporates global citizenship and responsible leadership into curriculumby rollinscollege 1,593 views
- 4:50 TODAY Show features New College of Florida's Top Ranking by The Princeton Review and USA Todayby New College of Florida 5,266 views
- 4:56 Paul Wall - Lil Keke - Chunk Up The Deuceby videogamer619 1,446,254 views
- 4:42 Top 10 psychology colleges in USAby whicharegood 609 views
- 9:03 IT (Information Technology) Career Path Guidelineby 철호 정 106,190 views
- 5:29 Black Hair Salon Houston | Black women hair styles l Hair coloringby Black Hair Salon Houston l Mixed Race Hair 3,547 views
- 2:57 Math Prodigy Terence Tao, UCLAby UCLA 488,209 views
- 2:06 Community College vs. Universityby Austin Chapman 4,832 views
- 2:03 Top 10 Cities in the U.S.by The Daily Conversation 62,740 views
- Loading more suggestions...