Chest Workout: Pushups for the Complete Beginner
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 8, 2008
In my opinion, pushups are the #1 best exercise you can do! They are simple to do and are a great upper body workout for the complete beginner or the advanced bodybuilder. You can get a complete upper body workout by combining these pushups with crunches and pullups, all of which can be done easily at home.
Start by doing knee pushups. If you can do more than 20 of these then they are too easy for you and you should do full pushups.
We want to start slowly to avoid injury, the first two weeks you will only do this workout once a week: do as many pushups as you can without rest (a set) rest 2 minutes repeat two more times (three sets total)
If your joints and muscles feel ok, you can slowly increase the frequency and duration of your pushup workouts until you are doing pushups 3x/week for 20minutes. When you get to the point where you can do more than 20 pushups in all your sets, then its time to move on to a more advanced workout. Please see my website for some suggestions.
The reason many people dont get started in bodybuilding is that it seems to complex and intimidating, thats why I recommend starting out with just pushups and with daily walking (10-30min). Its an easy program, you start feeling better immediately, and your brain starts to associate exercising with feeling good. A recent study showed that as little as 10min of exercise a day can do wonders for you mind and body. Once you brain has made the connection between exercise and feeling good, motivation is no longer a problem and you will find yourself wanting to add new exercises.
If you are overweight and can only do 3 knee pushups, dont be discouraged, its not the number of pushups you can do that is important but the effort. For those of you who are overweight, think of it this way, you are lifting far more weight in your pushups than your lighter counterparts so its natural that you cant do as many pushups. What is important is that you make progress each week, if you did 3 knee pushups last week, try to do 3 1/2 knee pushups this week.
Anyone can be healthier, have more energy, sleep better, and feel better about themselves through bodybuilding. Bodybuilding doesn't have to be expensive or take a lot of time, gyms are great but home workouts can save you time and money. A cheap dumbbell set from a garage sale or walmart is all it takes to get started with your home workouts.
Got questions? Ask me on facebook:
or on the free AskScooby Forum:
Standard YouTube License
Next in Beginners
- 12:52 How much weight to lift?by scooby1961 Featured 643,450
- 12:32 The Truth About Absby scooby19612,768,642 views
- 10:29 Bulking Up and Gaining Muscleby scooby19611,499,133 views
- 10:05 Resolution: Lose Weight And Get In Shape!by scooby19612,772,579 views
- 7:45 Proper Pushups - Back to Basics for big chest/pecsby scooby1961349,032 views
- 6:24 SUPER HUMAN STRENGTH PULL UPS !!!by OfficialBarstarzz12,854,521 views
- 4:31 How to throw someoneby cqcchief188,852 views
- 4:25 The Best Push-Up Technique: Exercise for Chest, Shoulders, Tricepsby StandFirm1,309,304 views
- 1:33 The Best Exercise for BACK and LATS: Pulldowns and Chin-upsby StandFirm4,551,856 views
- 2:10 Six Pack Abs Core Workoutby shakelightly2,586,754 views
- 1:05 Best Biceps Curl Hand Position: EZ Bar or Straight Barbell ??by StandFirm3,316,951 views
- 2:28 Mastering the Body by Musclemania Pro Tuan Tran Episode 5: Push Up Variationsby Tuan Tran736,488 views
- 1:24 Test It Tuesday Returns: The Perfect Pushupby WTAE-TV Pittsburgh72,331 views
- 1:12 The Best Exercise for LOWER ABS: Part 1 of 5by StandFirm14,453,129 views
- 1:01 Healthy, low-cal home-made protein shake for $0.60by scooby1961630,478 views
- Insane Home Fat Loss 161 videos305K
- 1:34 100 Push-ups Initial Test hundredpushups.comby 4TheWorldToC85,716 views
- 7:55 How To Do More Push Upsby strengthcamp327,898 views
- 1:21 UPPER BODY & LOWER BODY SEPARATION - Pull Legs Push Musclesby StandFirm73,603,114 views