The Copenhagen Wheel - Teaser
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 8, 2009
THE COPENHAGEN WHEEL
Smart, responsive and elegant, the Copenhagen Wheel is a new emblem for urban mobility. It transforms ordinary bicycles quickly into hybrid e-bikes that also function as mobile sensing units. The Copenhagen Wheel allows you to capture the energy dissipated while cycling and braking and save it for when you need a bit of a boost. It also maps pollution levels, traffic congestion, and road conditions in real-time.
SENSE and SUSTAINABILITY
Controlled through your smart phone, the Copenhagen Wheel becomes a natural extension of your everyday life. You can use your phone to unlock and lock your bike, change gears and select how much the motor assists you. As you cycle, the wheels sensing unit is also capturing your effort level and information about your surroundings, including road conditions, carbon monoxide, NOx, noise, ambient temperature and relative humidity. Access this data through your phone or the web and use it to plan healthier bike routes, to achieve your exercise goals or to meet up with friends on the go. You can also share your data with friends, or with your city - anonymously if you wish thereby contributing to a fine-grained database of environmental information from which we can all benefit.
ABOUT the PROJECT
The Copenhagen Wheel will be unveiled on December 15 at the COP15 United Nations Climate Conference. The project was conceived and developed by the SENSEable City Lab for the Kobenhavns Kommune. The prototype bikes were realized with the help of our technical partner Ducati Energia and funding from the Ministry for the Environment. Progical Solutions LLC provided technical support for the iphone control of the bikes.
The components of the project are an electric bicycle wheel that can be easily retrofitted into any regular bicycle and location and environmental sensors which are powered by the bike wheel and in turn provide data for a variety of applications.
The Copenhagen Wheel project demonstrates that small intelligent implementations can lead to major changes. This work will be displayed at the 2009 Cop 15 UN Climate Summit where the next version of the Kyoto Protocol will be signed.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:10 The Energy Return Wheel ERW©by EnergyReturnWheelFeatured 3,051,418
- 2:29 Lunartic_Hubless Wheel Prototype.movby d00gal 3,155,697 views
- 5:09 Copenhagen Bike Paths - An Example To All Citiesby CanisLupusSeeUs 52,260 views
- 26:14 Copenhagen, Denmarkby hoosiertim 33,074 views
- 2:45 Motorized Bicycle with Jackshaft Kitby bikeman6969 775,766 views
- 105 videos Play all 1-Ebikeby psk2009
- 3:15 Easy DIY 3-Minute Fastest Electric Bike Conversion Kitby CleanRepublic 297,433 views
- 2:11 Wonderful COPENHAGEN city Tour Denmarkby noodzaak 18,664 views
- 4:07 Bicycling : How to Change Bike Gearsby eHowSports 102,472 views
- 2:05 50 MPH 8000W AWD Electric Offroad Mountain Bike First Driveby Hi Power Cycles 1,621,413 views
- 5:04 2 Perfect Days in Copenhagenby WonderfulCopenhagen 22,539 views
- 4:53 Flash mob at Copenhagen Central Station. Copenhagen Phil playing Ravel's Bolero.by Copenhagen Phil 6,314,891 views
- 2:54 Travel Copenhagen: 5 Free Thingsby soniastravels 9,213 views
- 5:37 Copenhagenby y2kjonrichards 9,864 views
- 3:31 Copenhagen - best quality of lifeby WonderfulCopenhagen 58,550 views
- 3:33 Copenhagen, Denmark: Christianiaby RickSteves 160,061 views
- 2:31 Travel Copenhagen: Bicyclesby soniastravels 11,793 views
- 9:52 Copenhagen introby denniscallan 78,802 views
- 2:21 Disguised Volvo S60 in Copenhagenby VolvoCarsNews 60,938 views
- Copenhagen 45,926 videos66
- 1:59 The Copenhagen Wheel - Data Visualizationby senseablecitylab . 27,804 views
- 1:27 People For Bikes: If I Rideby peopleforbikes 119,830 views