Cleveland Kidnap Victims Berry, DeJesus and Knight Release Thank-You Video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 9, 2013
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight, the three women held against their will for a decade locked in a Cleveland, Ohio, home, posted a video on YouTube early this morning to offer thanks for the support they have received trying to rebuild their lives.
Each of the women appeared separately in the 3-minute, 33-second video, with Berry and Knight each making a brief statement, while DeJesus answered questions from someone off camera, followed by her father, Felix DeJesus, and then her mother, Nancy Ruiz.
Berry appears calm and happy in the video, which was filmed July 2. She smiles frequently, as she offers thanks not only for those who have helped her, but to those who have respected the three women's request for privacy.
Cleveland Captives Break Silence and Give Thanks
"First and foremost, I want everyone to know how happy I am to be home with my family, my friends," she says. "It's been unbelievable. I want to thank everyone who has helped me and my family through this entire ordeal. Everyone who has been there to support us has been a blessing to have such an outpouring of love and kindness. I am getting stronger each day and having my privacy has helped immensely."
n response to a question of what she wants to say, DeJesus briefly answers that she would like to say thank you, before her father and then her mother speak at greater length.
Ruiz reflected on the love and support of neighbors, such as those who played such a big role in helping the three young women finally escape their captivity.
"Parents in general that do have a loved one missing, please do me one big favor. Count on your neighbors. Don't be afraid to ask for the help because help is available," she said.
Knight, who appears last, expresses confidence for the future and talks about how her faith in God has helped her.
"I may have been through hell and back, but I am strong enough to walk through hell with a smile on my face and with my held high and my feet firmly on the ground," she says. "Walking hand-in-hand with my best friend, I will not let the situation define who I am. I will define the situation."
Kathy Joseph, an attorney for Knight, said in a statement about the video that the three young women wanted to "say thank you to people from Cleveland and across the world."
"People are recognizing them now as they go about in public, so they decided to put voices and faces to their heartfelt messages," Joseph said. "It was their decision to relay their thanks in this way to all of the many people who have offered support to them, for which they are extremely grateful."
James Wooley, attorney for Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, said the release of the video does not mean that the three women will begin making public appearances or granting interviews any time soon.
"It is important for everyone, especially the media, to understand that the three women still have a strong desire for privacy," Wooley said. "They do not want to talk about their ordeal with the media or anyone else. This cannot be stated strongly enough."
Ariel Castro, 52, the man accused of kidnapping the three women and keeping them inside his home, has pleaded not guilty to a 329-count indictment that includes charges of kidnapping and rape.
Castro, a former school bus driver, also is also accused of the aggravated murder of a fetus for allegedly forcibly causing an abortion in one of his victims that he is accused of impregnating, a charge that could potentially carry the death penalty.
Credit: DEAN SCHABNER
Standard YouTube License
- 6:44 ADDICTED to TWERKING!by Shane Dawson TV Featured 2,923,273
- 45:11 Crime: The story of 3 girls who were kidnapped and kept captive for over 10years !by SecretWispering326,545 views
- 2:42 Raw emotions rise during Castro's sentencingby CNN63,870 views
- 57:05 Cleveland kidnapping: BBC crime documentary 2013 - The case of Amanda Berryby hyperstaticuniverse132,088 views
- 4:26 Ariel Castro's daughter Angie Gregg speaks to CNNby CNN237,857 views
- 2:41 Amanda Berry's boyfriendby WEWS NewsChannel594,626 views
- 4:35 Amanda Berry's Michelle Knight was "punching bag"by Bill Omar116,759 views
- 1:53 Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus Found Ariel Castro Daughter 'Disappointed, Embarrassed'by Breaking News by xxNaCaRxx20,934 views
- 35:51 "Let's get one thing straight! My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard."by ShockOfChrist1,058,085 views
- 29:00 "Let's get one thing straight! My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard."by ThickShades0127,495 views
- 12:30 Amanda Berry: Disturbing Details Emerge in Case of 3 Women Held Captiveby politicalarticles88,343 views
- 38:33 Michelle knight Full Exclusive Interview Dr Philby Lauren Documentaries12,555 views
- 2:04 See photos taken inside Ariel Castro's homeby CNN95,388 views
- 1:17:13 GNT - Jaycee Dugard, 18 years in Captivity - Subtitles in Portugueseby TheLucianoSilvaBoy4864,644 views
- 4:59 Michelle Knight EMOTIONAL Statement. Ariel Castro Sentencingby Bill Omar45,773 views
- 1:39 new Amanda Berry rescue video, cell phone captured dramatic rescueby Bill Omar64,893 views
- 4:20 Michelle Knight speaks to Ariel Castro 'You Will Face Hell'by JDK13934,639 views
- 1:35 Noon: Castro asks to see childby WEWS NewsChannel5126,498 views
- 11:21 Man Kidnaps Child In SuperMarket (Security Cam)by LastNewsTime117,466 views
- 2:47 Ariel Castro Home Video gives New Clues to How he Hid 3 Girls for 10 Yearsby PeoplesUnderground133,676 views
- Loading more suggestions...