Breaking the Code: Biography of Alan Turing (Derek Jacobi, BBC, 1996)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 27, 2011
A biography of the English mathematician Alan Turing, who was one of the inventors of the digital computer and one of the key figures in the breaking of the Enigma code, used by the Germans to send secret orders to their U-boats in World War II. Turing was also a homosexual in Britain at a time when this was illegal, besides being a security risk.
Adapted for Television
Hugh Whitemore wrote a shortened version of the play for television. This was filmed in late 1995, as a production of THE DRAMA HOUSE and WGBH BOSTON for BBC NORTH.The first transmission, to my knowledge, was on 17 September 1996 in Canada, by Showcase Television. It was shown in the United States as a Masterpiece Theater production on 2 February 1997. The first British transmission was on BBC1, 5 February 1997.
Filmed for television in a naturalistic suburban setting, rather than on a timeless, expressionist stage set, Breaking the Code inevitably sacrificed many of the elements that made it grip theatre audiences. No stagecraft magic of Derek Jacobi's real-time changes of age: instead the teenage Turing was played by a young actor.
The adapted script also lost some of the more special moments of the play. For instance, on the stage, Turing reveals the logical secret of the Bombe on his last holiday on Corfu, but with the irony that it is revealed to someone who does not understand a word. On the television screen, his explanation is given to an Intelligence officer 'John Smith', all irony lost.
Hugh Whitemore also dropped the words at the death scene, and supplied an anticlimactic ending, a voiceover explaining the dubious honour done to Alan Turing by having part of the Manchester Ring Road being named after him. But this sudden shift into 1990s documentary mode holds the danger of dating very rapidly, and also prompts the awkward question of what Alan Turing is supposed 'really' to have done, which is even less clear in the television film than it was on the stage.
But the television version gained in ways I could not have foreseen. The direction made it less of a one-man show, and the supporting cast was very strong. The sheer bodily closeness, under the unflinching gaze of the camera, presented a wonderful image of 'the logical' confronting head-on 'the physical,' something I had wrestled with in my own writing.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Some Day My Prince Will Come (From "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs")" on
- 2:34:03 U Boat War : Documentary on the Submarine Battle of World War 2by DocuAwesome Featured 583,719
- 56:30 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Breaking Hitler's Secret Enigma Codes (720p)by SUPERIOR HISTORY24,626 views
- 1:51:05 Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy Full Film 1972 Jon Finchby James Peach44,327 views
- 1:15:42 The Limping Man (1953) - Full Official Movie - Great Quality Film :)by GreenLibraryFilms26,232 views
- 1:13:45 The Turing Enigmaby MsrEvaristeGalois12,760 views
- 58 videos Play all Masterpiece theatreby edna1628
- 1:00:43 BBC Documentary - Stupidity "Full Movie"by MrSaunders20201,130,351 views
- 59:04 The Village Series 1 Episode 1 31st March 2013 OFFICIAL] BBCby patsy mayes105,444 views
- 28:26 The Strange Life and Death of Dr Turing - Part 1 of 2by Christopher Sykes48,760 views
- 58:44 BBC The Dark Charisma of Adolf Hitler 1of3 Full documentaryby TheDocumentariess184,149 views
- 1:52:30 THREADS (Nuclear War)by eurocon .714,099 views
- 48:58 The Saboteurs of Telemark (BBC 1973)by stablestaple25,619 views
- 1:00:23 British Intelligence ✪FREE FULL MOVIE✪ Spy Thrillerby LastingMovieClassics22,485 views
- 58:45 BBC's: The Story of Ireland 1of5 Age of Invasionsby RebelWithoutaCause245,734 views
- 54:38 The Best Mind Since Einstein - Richard Feynman Biography (PBS: NOVA - 1993)by ByronT2134,915 views
- 1:37:46 I Claudius Episode 01 A touch of murder (Complete!).aviby zeusbark118,596 views
- 43:36 BBC Horizon: Vanished, The Plane That Disappeared (1999)by stablestaple129,755 views
- 1:05:16 The Enigma Codeby UCDavis66,633 views
- 2:00:02 'Absolute Hell' - Dame Judi Dench - BBC Drama 1991.by chillmax71,243 views
- 59:06 BBC: Code Breakers Bletchley Parks lost Heroesby eSourceVideo111,288 views