Creamiest Mac and Cheese Recipe - Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine 1/328
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 1, 2013
Today we will be making the Creamiest Mac and Cheese Recipe from Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible vegan. My thoughts, ingredients, measurements, and directions are available below.
Day 1 Recipe 1 Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine:
Back to the Project. For those of you that have been following The Sweetest Vegan for over a year, you know that I have failed at this project twice. Why am I trying it again? Because I am crazy I guess. I love the Julie and Julia Project. I cry at the end of the movie every time I see it and the book was even better. I am from the south, vegan, and veganizing the Paula Deen southern tome is the only way I could make the Julie and Julia Project my own.
Plus, I am a big fan of the work of Kate Bingaman Burt. She did a Creative Mornings talk on her Obsessive Consumption project, which was based on automated directives. Being able to have a regimen and knowing what I am to create every day makes my artistic soul smile. Back to the Project.
Today, I made the Creamiest Mac and Cheese recipe. It honestly wasn't that hard. The day I recorded this video was the same day I recorded the Juicy Lucy burger video. I used all of 2 tablespoons of the cheese sauce for the cheeseburgers and didn't want to throw it out. Perfect time to pour cheese sauce over pasta. Perfect time to resurrect a failed project.
Most interesting about the entire dish was the macaroni pasta. The pasta is usually the boring part, and though it did taste plain, it had hidden vegetables. The box claimed that there was 1 serving of vegetables in each serving of pasta. The dried pasta contained dried carrot, dried squash, and dried corn. I do not take the healthy connotation serious at all, but I still thought it was cool. And they were twisted elbow pasta, super cute.
Overall, the vegan creamiest mac and cheese tasted good. It was the same cheese sauce recipe I make all the time, so there was no big surprise. This was my first time adding yellow bell pepper and that added a little zing. I would make it again. People always ask if the cheese sauce taste like cheese. Honestly no, I think it would make me nauseous if it did. The sauce does have some flavors of cheese, such as salty from soy sauce, umami for soy sauce, and sharpness from tahini. I just think it is a delicious sauce to serve with pasta.
Vegan Creamiest Mac and Cheese Recipe
5 1/2 cups cooked elbow pasta (2 cups raw)
16 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup cooked sweet potato
2 - 3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup almond milk
Cook the pasta as directed on the package that it came in or to your own satisfaction.
Drain the pasta and set aside.
Blend together the cannellini beans, nutritional yeast, sweet potato, soy sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, canola oil, tahini, agave nectar, yellow bell pepper, and almond milk.
The blended vegan cheese sauce should be a fine puree. It may take 3 to 8 minutes to reach the desired consistency depending on the strength of your blender.
Pour the vegan cheese sauce over the elbow pasta.
Stir gently to combine.
Serve it immediately. That was easier than Kraft Easy Mac.
About The Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine Project: Inspired by the Julie and Julia Project, the Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine will take on the Paula Deen Southern Cooking Bible. Vegan-izing 328 butter-laden, pork-filled recipes in 328 days.
About The Sweetest Vegan: I'm just a little lady getting dirty in the kitchen; teaching you how to cook healthier meals without sacrificing taste, texture, culture, or cupcakes. Vegan Culinary & Pastry Artist. Southern Belle. Master of Public Health. YouTube Next Chef.
Standard YouTube License
Next in The Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine Project - 328 recipes
- 7:01 Where in the Bible does it say we should eat only a raw vegan diet?by Thehealthwatchman Featured 1,546
- 4:02 Vegan Lasagna Recipe - Olive Garden Vegetarian Styleby Tasha Edwards18,941 views
- 4:31 In-N-Out Animal Style Fries Homemade Vegan Recipe - The Sweetest Veganby Tasha Edwards22,703 views
- 4:24 Vegan Mac and Cheese: Macaroni and Cheese Thanksgiving Recipeby Tasha Edwards53,334 views
- 1:08:47 101 Reasons to Go Veganby rkaufmann81,760 views
- 3:53 best ever vegetarian burgers, veganby Hectanooga140,050 views
- 1:16:34 40 Year Vegan Dies of a Heart Attack! Why? The Omega-3 and B12 Myth with Dr. Michael Gregerby Michael Lanfield Raw Vegan Fruitarian136,884 views
- 8:57 VEGAN MAC N' CHEESE "Big Mama Style"by Yahcna6,671 views
- 111 videos Play all The Southern Queen of Vegan Cuisine Project - 328 recipesby TheSweetestVegan
- 7:39 How to Make the Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese ⎢Martha Stewartby MarthaStewart33,599 views
- 10:10 How to Make Seitan - Vegetarian Meatby AdventMessage22,325 views
- 5:50 JAI LIFESTYLE :: CASHEW CHEESE SAUCEby Rich Roll9,147 views
- 9:26 Hair styling 4b/4c hair !! (quick&simple)by Camille Elizabeth10,417 views
- 13:47 Keep Em' Coming Back Creamy Baked Macaroni & Cheeseby Utokia Langley26,445 views
- 6:59 Betty's Slow Cooker Mac 'n Cheeseby Betty's Kitchen68,781 views
- 6:20 Patti LaBelle: Mac and Cheese from In the Kitchen with Miss Pattiby PattiLaBelleFoods365,966 views
- 3:34 Gluten-free Organic Vegan Mac & Cheese Recipeby fitfortwotv10,770 views
- 8:15 Holiday Series: #2 Macaroni & Cheese (Cooking with Carolyn)by CookingWithCarolyn59,687 views
- 9:26 Why I No Longer Eat Raw Veganby LizYArtur256,038 views