Clean Your Reusable Bags!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 24, 2012
Do you clean your reusable bags? Probably not. And get this: they are disgusting!!! Cleaning Expert, Melissa Maker, explains and teaches! Visit http://www.cleanmyspace.com for the full post.
**JOIN OUR COMMUNITY***
BLOG: http://cleanmyspace.com/clean-your-re... ---full post and my opinion on said bags here!
Disposable bags are amazing yes, they carry more, look better and don't snap in half leaving you standing like a fool in the parking lot with your smashed carton of eggs and spilled milk. But have you ever considered why plastic bags got popular in the first place? One word: disposable.
Think of your reusable bags are like undergarments. They need to be cleaned, they carry a lot of dirt an bacteria around and can eventually contaminate food (I guess if you were carrying food around in them).
Just take a minute to think about how freakin' dirty these things get! You bring your meat, cheese, vegetables and fruit in them, week after week.
They just sit there, you think they are invincible. Well, they are not. Gross. You should be shivering right now! If you are interested in seeing this study, here's the link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/...
Studies have been done showing a concentration of mold, yeast and bacteria found in these reusable bags. If you carry meat in your bags you could also potentially expect salmonella or e-coli.
In this study, there's a stat out saying that only 15% of Americans wash their bags. And you know what not washing your bags lead to? A hot case of food poisoning. Have you ever had food poisoning? Do you know what happens to your body?
OK, enough paranoia propaganda. Here are a few things you can do to keep them clean and bacteria-free:
1) Colour code your bags for meat, poultry, fish, dairy, prepared food and produce. This will help avoid cross-contamination. You can just use bags from different stores as opposed to colour code, or even write with permanent marker your labels on the bags for easy separation.
2) Place all raw foods in plastic bags prior to placing them in the tote bag (doesn't this sound counterintuitive to a no plastic bag agenda?).
3) Try not to leave bags in the trunk. A study was done showing a warmer trunk temperature are an excellent breeding ground for even more bacteria; to the tune of ten times the initial count in just 2 hours. Oh boy.
4) When you are not using the bags, store them in a clean, dry space. If it's a damp, warm space then bacteria is bound to re-appear.
5) And finally, clean your bags well. So here's a safe way to do this that will get rid of bacteria and preserve the bag.
For starters, there are two general kinds of bags: fabric or nylon totes and recycled plastic.
Fabric and nylon totes are easy, you throw them in the wash with towels or jeans, let your machine do the work. Bacteria, stains and smells will be dealt with during the wash cycle.
If the bag is made out of recycled plastics, fill your sink with hot water and add 2 tbsp of dish soap and 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide. Soak this for 15 minutes. The soap will remove dirt and smells and the hydrogen peroxide will disinfect the bags and assist with any stubborn stains. Drain the sink and then wring the bags dry. Hang them up and let them air dry, they dry really quick. If you put these bags in the washing machine, they'll start to pill.
It's fairly simple to take care of the bags and obviously quite important!
Thanks for watching, and see you next time!
Standard YouTube License
- 5:26 5 Homemade Cleaners! DIY Cleaning Products!by Cool Cleaning Videos!Featured 34,007
- 6:51 Clean Your Pillows!by Cool Cleaning Videos! 119,407 views
- 8:01 Shark Steam Pocket Review! Do Steam Cleaners Work?by Cool Cleaning Videos! 50,871 views
- 5:00 Clean Your Baseball Cap / Hat!by Cool Cleaning Videos! 6,277 views
- 5:12 10 Handy Dusting Tips!by Cool Cleaning Videos! 16,021 views
- 3:00 Disinfectants vs. Cleaners - Are you Really Disinfecting When You Clean?by cleanmyspace 8,708 views
- 3:22 Clean Your Shower Curtain & Matby Cool Cleaning Videos! 10,699 views
- 8:26 How to Fold Laundry: fitted sheets, socks, teeshirts, stockingsby Cool Cleaning Videos! 37,520 views
- 2:51 Clean Your Laptop: Electronics Cleaning Essentialsby Cool Cleaning Videos! 12,043 views
- 4:38 How Clean Is Your Hotel Room?by Cool Cleaning Videos! 18,865 views
- 3:36 How to Get Rid of Fruit Fliesby cleanmyspace 40,766 views
- 6:16 The Cyber Clean Review!by cleanmyspace 7,654 views
- 3:13 How to Clean Your Hair Brush Tutorial!by Cool Cleaning Videos! 13,037 views
- 5:46 Clean Your Keurig Coffee Maker!by Cool Cleaning Videos! 214,392 views
- 4:14 How to Clean a Burnt Pan or Potby cleanmyspace 152,192 views
- 3:39 10 Points of Contact You Need To Clean!by cleanmyspace 9,079 views
- 6:25 The Schticky Review!by Cool Cleaning Videos! 133,107 views
- 3:18 Clean Marks Off Your Plates!by cleanmyspace 4,073 views
- 6:29 Clean Your Self-Cleaning Oven!by cleanmyspace 40,962 views
- 4:05 Clean Your Yoga Mat!by cleanmyspace 11,043 views
- Loading more suggestions...