Through the Fire and Flames - Achievement Unlocked on Drums
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 30, 2007
*** NOPE... IT'S NOT FAKE
If you haven't seen any of my videos before, please read some of the FAQ below.
Talk about near chokes! This was about the 6th attempt of the night. I was getting really tired and frustrated from screwing it up half way through every time. But I was figuring out which SP paths would get me through it. Then, the ONE TIME I survive the solo sections, back into the whole part from the beginning that I've pretty much got MASTERED, I'm sitting there choking! Rock meter taking a huge dive and fast!
In an instant I got so mad at myself and forced myself to become a machine and concentrate on the sticking pattern to get through it. If I would've failed at that point I would've killed myself, or at least cut an arm off or something. Just kidding, but I would've been BEYOND mad. Somewhere in a parallel universe I failed that song and that really sucks for that other me. But I hope to be able to play this at the 5-star level someday with more practice, so this first win will be a distant memory.
You can see the "Achievement Unlocked" at the end. Gotta love achievements. I haven't been this geeked since beating Jordan.
Oh, and I got 4 stars! But barely.
Also, Windows Movie Maker sucks and the audio goes out of sync with the video mid way through. Sorry about that.
Thanks for watching!
Q: How does it work?
A: Everything is explained in detail here: http://egyokeo.com/midihero
Q: How do you do 3-note chords?
A: All "two adjacent note" power chords are mapped to the top 4 pads, so with two sticks I can play any 3-note chord except GYO. But I can get that now with one stick in left hand and two fingers on right hand.
Q: How do you do whammy and star power?
A: I use a bass drum pedal on my right foot to activate star power, and a hi-hat pedal on my left foot to control whammy depth.
Q: How do you hold notes?
A: My MIDI Hero software has an auto-hold feature for every note hit because it's more natural for a drummer to play that way. It's not a good feeling to mash sticks into drum pads to hold notes.
Q: How do you hit all the fast note streams and you're barely moving?
A: Double stroke drum rolls. Hands move at 1/2 speed, each stick bounces twice.
Q: Why do the notes "hit" so late?
A: I use a 145ms setting for the in-game HTDV Lag Calibration feature to counter the "controller lag" I have with my setup. I use it to make the sweet spot of the notes match the sound of the music, not when the notes cross the row of circles. That way, I play what I hear, but I have to read ahead for the notes to play.
Q: Are you using the "easy expert" cheat?
A: Nope. I wouldn't have gotten the achievement at the end if I were using a cheat. Also, listen to the "tap" sounds the drums make. They match in-time to the music and the visible rhythm of the notes on-screen. There's no need for a bigger "window" around each note in order to hit them. The lag setting is what makes it look like I'm hitting things late.
UPDATE: The latest GH3 patch over Xbox Live has added separate audio and video lag calibration. This will solve this and nobody will ask about it anymore because it properly adjusts the audio to account for my controller lag (145ms) and the video lag is near 0ms so the notes will "burst into flames" when the hit the row of circles instead of off-screen like they do in my previous videos.
Q: How much does this cost?
A: The drumKat is a pro-quality MIDI drum pad set. These days, they run about $1k, but I had my set from years ago. I also use a PC to run my custom home-brew MIDI Hero software to interpret the drum events. Then the "XIM" and "XFPS" add another $100+. This is not made for the masses. This is a one-of-a-kind setup.
Q: Do you play real drums? Are you in a band?
A: Yes, I've been playing drums since 1986. I have been in various bands from Jazz to Ska over the years. Right now I'm in the Detroit-based ska band The Exceptions.
Q: Are you getting Rock Band?
A: UPDATE: I have it now, but I can't stand the drum controller. So I played it enough to beat career on Expert (failed one song once, in the middle tier somewhere ;-) Pretty soon I hope to have my mod working with it and I'll probably get back into it then.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Through The Fire And Flames" on
- 8:03 Ultimate View of Fire and Flames on Drumsby Eric Schmidt4,836,842 views
- 5:30 Battery Expert plus drums Guitar hero metallicaby guit4rk1d319,209 views
- 9:57 Through the Fire and Flames / Expert 5 Star 579k on Drumsby Eric Schmidt271,428 views
- 4:09 Run to the Hills + Ustream Announcementby Eric Schmidt216,249 views
- 6:22 The Way It Ends / Expert on Drumsby Eric Schmidt104,113 views
- 3:03 The Ultimate View in the Belly of a Sharkby Eric Schmidt531,830 views
- 6:28 The Devil Went Down To Georgia / Expert Co-op on Drumsby Eric Schmidt74,426 views
- 8:06 THROUGH THE FIRE AND FLAMES - 100% FC COOPby UKOGmonkey60,058 views
- 6:25 Worlds most impossible gh3 song!! | BloodBlitzby BloodBlitz26,535,155 views
- 3:56 Raining Blood / Expert 5 Stars 244k on Drumsby Eric Schmidt167,838 views
- 8:35 Through The Fire And Flames 100% Expert Guitar Hero 3by GuitarHeroPhenom308,132 views
- 33:55 Guitar Hero: Guitar Tournament finalby AssemblyTV1,356,388 views
- 7:09 Jordan with Finger Tapping Modby Eric Schmidt261,303 views
- 7:31 Metallica - One / Expert 5 Stars 475k 95% on Drumsby Eric Schmidt240,971 views
- 4:53 YYZ - Drums - Gold Starsby Eric Schmidt83,790 views
- 10:00 Through the Fire and Flames 1.12 mil (GH:SH Expert Drums 5 stars)by minime220220275,457 views
- 6:02 Knights of Cydonia / Expert 99% 378k (No SP) on Drumsby Eric Schmidt104,237 views
- 7:23 Guitar Hero 3 Vs. Rock Band 3 - Through The Fire And Flames - Guitar - Expertby Gurf1,970,788 views
- 6:29 Beast and the Harlot Guitar Hero Smash Hits Expert+ Drumsby Justin Hruska146,717 views
- 8:44 BIGGEST THROUGH THE FIRE AND FLAMES FAIL -1 NOTE 3721/3722 DRAGONFORCE LOLby James Coulter461,518 views
- Loading more suggestions...