Acupuncture - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 3, 2012
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Benedikt Matenaer with his talk "Acupuncture: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", World Skeptics Congress 2012 in Berlin. Introduction by Willem Betz.
More videos of the World Skeptics Congress will be uploaded to the following channels:
Please don't forget to subscribe!
Benedikt Matenaer, MD, anaesthesiologist, pain therapist, specialist in palliative care medicine; works in a palliative care unit of a hospital and in own practice; member of the examination board of the medical council Westfalen-Lippe for "palliative care", B-diploma in acupuncture.
Alluding to the famous Clint Eastwood western, this presentation deals with the various facets of this popular therapy: the current state of research, the success, and the excesses of the acupuncture as an economic enterprise in the German health system. The important question, however, is whether anyone needs a special training for that, in particular in China, or is the success of acupuncture due to unspecific effects?
After all, if it doesn't matter where one puts the needles: is it OK then that acupuncture treatments are refundable by the public health insurances? Is it compatible with the medical associations' rules for continuing education to offer and acknowledge a pseudo-education as a special qualification? Why are physicians required to apply evidence-based medicine on the one hand, whereas acupuncture -- a procedure with unknown mechanisms -- is granted entry into the public health system on the other hand?
World Skeptics Congress: Promoting Science and Critical Thinking in a World of Uncertainty.
Why do people turn to pseudoscience for help? What makes alternative medicine so attractive - and how can we find out what really works? Why is it so difficult for us to deal with risk and uncertainty in a rational way? Can we teach children to think critically and scientifically? And how can academic disciplines like biology or psychology protect themselves from pseudoscientific contamination?
The 6th World Skeptics Congress in Berlin was an intellectually stimulating three-day event dealing with paranormal and supernatural claims, fringe science issues, and scams. Major topics at this event were science and pseudoscience in education, in particular anti-evolution claims and origin myths, and the problems of risk and benefit assessment, especially in alternative medicine.
Gerd Antes, Wim Betz, Johan Braeckman, Edzard Ernst, Chris French, Luigi Garlaschelli, Harriet Hall, Ray Hyman, Chris Mooney, Simon Perry, Massimo Polidoro, James Randi, Gita Sahgal, Eugenie Scott, Simon Singh, Samantha Stein, Kylie Sturgess, Rebecca Watson and Tomasz Witkowski are just some of the world-renowned presenters who took part, taking apart the claims and conspiracies of the modern world.
Tags: acupuncture complementary alternative placebo medicine homeopathy therapy treatments health system palliative care cure science pseudoscience education skeptical rational critical thinking skepticism world skeptics congress 2012 berlin
Standard YouTube License
- 1:31:03 A Lecture by James "The Amazing" Randiby Center for InquiryFeatured 95,720
- 39:22 Fairy Tale Science and Placebo Medicine - Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)by Secular Humanism, Skepticism & Science 5,175 views
- 30:00 Homeopathic Tacticsby RationalHumanism 1,631 views
- 32:13 Pseudoscience in Educationby Secular Humanism, Skepticism & Science 1,496 views
- 17:45 After the Storm - Complementary and Alternative Medicineby RationalHumanism 1,652 views
- 1:45:59 Live Million Dollar Challenge - TAM 2012by JREF Video 33,617 views
- 9:59 The Randi Show - Power Balanceby JREF Video 15,204 views
- 56:45 James Randi - Investigating Pseudoscientific and Paranormal Claimsby Barry Belmont 55,530 views
- 57:59 An Overview of Korea - Fullby USCKSI 13,012 views
- 7:36 Randi & Banachek Test "Psychics" on ABCby wimsweden 60,969 views
- 52:11 Creationism In and Outside of the USby Secular Humanism, Skepticism & Science 11,959 views
- 2:14:00 The Skeptics Guide to the Universe, Authors at Googleby Talks at Google 14,791 views
- 14:09 ACUPUNCTURE 101by Montana Danna's vlogs 13,832 views
- 24:23 Discover Acupuncture Meridiansby Reclaim Reality 6,426 views
- 7:54 Introduction to Acupuncture - CMSby Mazur Media 505,496 views
- 30:31 heute show - Folge 14 [ZDF, 19.03.2010]by kANAL des Zeruju 25,553 views
- 23:33 Solving Mysteries - Exploring the Science of Miraclesby RationalHumanism 1,381 views
- 8:20 This Is Your Brain On Acupunctureby James Whittle 665 views
- 50:40 Engaging Children in Scienceby RationalHumanism 1,298 views
- 4:16 Dr.Oz Acupuncture Works.mp4by Brendan Zachar 23,650 views
- Loading more suggestions...