Flat Out Segregation at Lebanese Beaches
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 28, 2012
Our reply to Saint George's Apology:
We appreciate and thank Saint George Management for their apology concerning the incident which was documented on last week's video. We take this opportunity to highlight that this is not an issue related to Saint George Beach only but to dozens of other places in Lebanon. Saint George promised that discrimination at its premises will not happen once again and we trust this is a positive and honest step. We look forward to have other beaches change their policies and treat all their customers with the respect they deserve, regardless of race, nationality, disability or profession.
Here is the video of an event that occurred earlier this summer in the Saint-George Yacht Club & Marina (Beirut).
This sort of event happens all the time in Lebanon, and it is time to put a stop to it.
Now that the Ministry of Tourism has issued a circular, banning discrimination at beaches, it has become easier for everyone to demand fair treatment of all people, regardless of skin color, background, occupation, or nationality. Although this circular is far from being a solution to the discrimination that plagues most of Lebanon's institutions, it is a start.
Having witnessed an act of blatant discrimination, the people in the video called the tourism police (Hotline: 1735), who were very cooperative and helpful. According to the tourism police, Saint-George will be fined (amount to be determined), and a date for the trial is currently being set. This should set a powerful precedent, which will deter other beaches and public institutions from continuing with their racist policies.
Please know that we do not intend to single out Saint-George in any way. It is obviously not the only beach with racist policies. We simply posted this footage because it is the only one we have until now.
Hopefully, with your help, we will be able to compile a comprehensive list of violators. But we also want to create a list of beaches which welcome all people into their resorts and pools. Before the end of the summer, we hope to have sorted most beach resorts into one of two categories: friendly beaches (those who respect the discrimination ban), and beaches to boycott (those who continue their racist practices).
Here is what you can do to help:
- If you witness an act of discrimination at a beach (not letting someone in, not letting them swim, or other "filtration policies", etc.), please call the tourism police right away (hotline: 1735), and let them know!
- If you do not want to call them, let us know (by phone, sms, or email), and we will deal with it! (contact details below)
- Please send us your experiences at beaches in Lebanon. You can email us, call us, send us a video or a picture. You will remain completely anonymous unless you ask for your name to be used.
Together, we can make sure that this discrimination ban is enforced, and does not end up forgotten like many other rules and laws in Lebanon. Little by little, things are starting to change. Finally.
phone: 01 565442/ 71 486601
Standard YouTube License
- 4:19 Flat Out Segregation at Lebanese Beaches - part IIby ARM Leb 32,500 views
- 3:29 الاعلامية الحرة غادة عويس تضع قدمها في فم شحاطةby شام نيوز 523,081 views
- 10:13 Enta Horr - 26/06/2012 - Cinema Salwa إنت حر - سينما سلوىby MTV Lebanon 34,594 views
- 1:37 Indians assaulted by Lebanese youthsby slick3166 152,245 views
- 3:04 أشكال بين الجراح والحلو!!!by OtvLebanon 19,996 views
- 53:32 Jim Crow and Apartheid (segregation systems in Racist America and the Afrikaner South Africa)by Canal de norbertomgf 6,414 views
- 45:17 The Lebanon I Dream Of...by Pierre Dawalibi 199,811 views
- 5:51 Separate, But Equal: Rare Images from the Segregated Southby shawn wilson 52,699 views
- 5:35 Religious discrimination | " طائفية و "طائي فيكby Annahar TV 15,962 views
- 5:29 Beirut Night Life-Summer 2011by Youssef Tawk 390,773 views
- 3:37 مسابح لبنان | Lebanon's beachesby Annahar TV 297,741 views
- 32:24 Ma Fi Metlo - Season 2 - Episode 33 ما في متلوby MTV Lebanon 34,388 views
- 3:25 Nadya of Lebanon, Lebanese Wedding Zaffe Myrtle Beach, South Carolinaby NadyaOfLebanon1 4,728 views
- 3:09 Lebanon - Beautiful Beaches, Ancient Ruins and Great Food!by ResetLiveGrow 8,342 views
- 2:58 "SKYBAR Opening 2012" ft. "Wyclef Jean"by SKYBAR Beirut 23,413 views
- 4:35 Landing Day! - June 25, 2012by FollowMyVacations 708 views
- 3:02 Ktir Salbeh - 29/10/2012 - Atramizeh كتير سلبي - أطرمزيby MTV Lebanon 238,866 views
- 19:59 Riyadi vs antranik ( season 99/2000 final 6 ) part 1by AlRiyadiClub 1,438 views
- 2:54 Lebanese Shiites getting unhappy about Hezbollahby AlArabiya 3,211 views
- 2:42 Lebanon from an Ethiopian perspectiveby ARM Leb 1,618 views
- Loading more suggestions...