This video is unavailable.
How to Survive an Airplane Crash
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 3, 2009
Expand the description and view the text of the steps for this how-to video.
Check out Howcast for other do-it-yourself videos from samselthedamsel and more videos in the General Disasters & Emergency Preparedness category.
You can contribute too! Create your own DIY guide at http://www.howcast.com/videos/new or produce your own Howcast spots with the Howcast Filmmakers Program at http://www.howcast.com/filmmakers/apply.
In the unlikely event you're ever in a plane crash, these tips will dramatically improve your odds of walking away from it alive.
To complete this How-To you will need:
An aisle seat, or one close to it
Long-sleeved pants and top, and flat closed-toe shoes
A smoke hood or a wet washcloth
Step 1: Book a good seat
Book a seat in the exit row or within five rows of it. People in those seats have the highest survival rates.
Tip: Aisle seats are safer than windows seats, unless you're sitting next to an exit door.
Step 2: Dress for escape
Wear pants and a long-sleeved shirt made of non-flammable material, like denim or cotton, and flat, sturdy, closed-toe shoes. You want clothes that don't restrict movement, but also offer some protection from flames, flying debris, and the elements.
Step 3: Bring a smoke hood
Bring a smoke hood, or even just a wet washcloth sealed in a plastic bag. Most crash victims survive impact, but die of smoke inhalation.
Tip: If you don't have a smoke hood or wet cloth, breathe through your clothing.
Step 4: Memorize the layout
Once aboard, count the seats between you and the nearest front and rear emergency exit. You want to be able to feel your way should the cabin fill with smoke. Note where the flight attendants sit, so you'll know where to turn for instructions.
Step 5: Brace yourself
When instructed, brace yourself for an emergency landing. With your feet on the floor, cross your arms on the seat in front of you and lower your head onto them. If there is no seat in front, hug your knees. Try to remain that way until the plane comes to a complete stop.
Tip: Remove any sharp objects from your shirt and pants. If you wear glasses, take them off.
Step 6: Know how to undo your seatbelt
It may sound stupid, but remind yourself that airplane seat belts open by lifting a buckle, not pushing a button. Research shows that many flyers forget this when they're panicked, delaying their exit.
Step 7: Stoop, don't crawl
If the cabin fills with smoke, forget what you learned about staying close to the floor in a fire. In a commercial jetliner, you want to stoop, not crawl. You'll still get air, but you won't run the risk of being trampled.
Tip: Exit the plane immediately and find your loved ones outside. Trying to find them inside will delay everyone, including those you're trying to help.
Step 8: Run like heck
Once off the plane, run for your life — literally. You want to get away from the plane in case it explodes.
Thanks for watching How To Survive an Airplane Crash! If you enjoyed this video subscribe to the Howcast YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
Standard YouTube License
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 2:15 How To Survive a School or Office Shootingby HowcastFeatured 448,016
- 2:06 How To Escape a Car Sinking in Deep Waterby Howcast 517,449 views
- 2:47 How To Survive an Alien Abductionby Howcast 280,874 views
- 2:37 How To Pick a Great Airline Seatby Howcast 555,163 views
- 1:47 How to Make a Dissolving Bikini as a Prankby Howcast 5,607,483 views
- 0:35 F15 goes inverted after refuelingby dereklsept 3,018,547 views
- 0:20 Compressor stall A330by strange clouds 896,287 views
- 5:23 Giant 6ft Water Balloon - The Slow Mo Guysby theslowmoguys 34,544,685 views
- 4:48 Jet Airplane Crash In Water "You won't believe what happens"by RemiNadeau2792 4,446,284 views
- 3:09 Painted planesby kasapis2007 2,530,427 views
- 4:47 Panic, Anxiety and Fear of Flyingby Panic Away 93,920 views
- 1:53 back yard pvc roller coaster with a 12 ft dropby Donnie cain 2,023,074 views
- 4:29 TOP 10 Fatal Airplane crashes - 2013 Aprilby BestVideoCollectio 38,684 views
- 6:32 rc airplaneby abirdh 3,846,939 views
- 0:25 Lucky Airlines Palm Beachby cgmaxed 34,798,703 views
- 4:29 TOP 10 Fatal AirPlane Crashes 2013by TheHelicopterCrashes 17,420 views
- 2:33 How To Survive a Bear Attackby Howcast 676,653 views
- 2:32 How to Survive a Nuclear Terrorist Attackby Howcast 411,196 views
- 2:50 How To Get Through Airport Securityby Howcast 530,545 views
- 2:35 How To Ask Out a Flight Attendantby Howcast 433,051 views
- Loading more suggestions...