How to Survive an Airplane Crash
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 3, 2009
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Disaster Survival & Worst-Case Scenarios videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/88-Disa...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
In the unlikely event you're ever in a plane crash, these tips will dramatically improve your odds of walking away from it alive.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Book a good seat
Book a seat in the exit row or within five rows of it. People in those seats have the highest survival rates.
Aisle seats are safer than windows seats, unless you're sitting next to an exit door.
Step 2: Dress for escape
Wear pants and a long-sleeved shirt made of non-flammable material, like denim or cotton, and flat, sturdy, closed-toe shoes. You want clothes that don't restrict movement, but also offer some protection from flames, flying debris, and the elements.
Step 3: Bring a smoke hood
Bring a smoke hood, or even just a wet washcloth sealed in a plastic bag. Most crash victims survive impact, but die of smoke inhalation.
If you don't have a smoke hood or wet cloth, breathe through your clothing.
Step 4: Memorize the layout
Once aboard, count the seats between you and the nearest front and rear emergency exit. You want to be able to feel your way should the cabin fill with smoke. Note where the flight attendants sit, so you'll know where to turn for instructions.
Step 5: Brace yourself
When instructed, brace yourself for an emergency landing. With your feet on the floor, cross your arms on the seat in front of you and lower your head onto them. If there is no seat in front, hug your knees. Try to remain that way until the plane comes to a complete stop.
Remove any sharp objects from your shirt and pants. If you wear glasses, take them off.
Step 6: Know how to undo your seatbelt
It may sound stupid, but remind yourself that airplane seat belts open by lifting a buckle, not pushing a button. Research shows that many flyers forget this when they're panicked, delaying their exit.
Step 7: Stoop, don't crawl
If the cabin fills with smoke, forget what you learned about staying close to the floor in a fire. In a commercial jetliner, you want to stoop, not crawl. You'll still get air, but you won't run the risk of being trampled.
Exit the plane immediately and find your loved ones outside. Trying to find them inside will delay everyone, including those you're trying to help.
Step 8: Run like heck
Once off the plane, run for your life -- literally. You want to get away from the plane in case it explodes.
Did You Know?
Research shows that passengers who sit near the back of the plane are 40% more likely to survive a crash than those in the first few rows.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - How to Survive an Airplane Crash
- 3:31 How to Survive a Hurricaneby Howcast Featured 223,076
- 2:06 How to Escape a Car Sinking in Deep Waterby Howcast608,909 views
- 2:16 How to Survive a School or Office Shootingby Howcast543,499 views
- 2:31 How to Prepare for a Long Plane Rideby Howcast258,305 views
- 2:38 How to Pick a Great Airline Seatby Howcast622,996 views
- 2:33 Boeing C-17 Globemaster crash B-52 Jet Crash All Hell breaks loose Roy Dawson Realtor videoby Roy Dawson5,803,577 views
- 4:48 Jet Airplane Crash In Water "You won't believe what happens"by Rémi Nadeau4,661,250 views
- 9:25 Double Your Internet Speed for Freeby ThioJoe7,499,434 views
- 2:12 Viral video provides clues to 747 crashby CNN4,931,901 views
- 1:47 Planes Collide Above New Yorkby The Weather Channel340,765 views
- 2:52 stunt plane crashby KRQE923,929 views
- 0:53 Last Message Of Qantas Pilot to Passengersby JawadNiazi012,187,023 views
- 14:39 Aircraft Crashes and Near Misses Compilation | Crazy Videos Caught on Tapeby Worldof Accidents355,143 views
- 9:07 HOW TO MAKE THE PORTAL CAKE - NERDY NUMMIESby Rosanna Pansino3,201,387 views
- 1:50:10 An Extremely Inspirational Talk in Hindi by Sandeep Maheshwari (Full Video)by Sandeep Maheshwari687,479 views
- 1:28 Secret Seats on Airplanesby Peter Greenberg3,210,354 views
- 5:34 Unbelievable Landings - A MUST SEE!by Matthew Jackson6,566,856 views
- 0:49 Spectacular Crosswind Landing A380 in Zurich (HD)by AndyRuesch3,320,434 views
- 14:48 11 yr Old Went to Heaven and Back, and Tells What He Saw!by joel10000a16,459,912 views
- 11:21 Ploeger 4-row self-propelled potato harvester AR-4Wby N.C.M. Antonissen1,881,187 views
- Loading more suggestions...