'The Farmer Who Took on Monsanto' - Oct. 21, 2011
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 7, 2011
Percy Schmeiser presented "The Farmer Who Took on Monsanto" at Western Washington University's Huxley College of the Environment's Speaker Series, on Friday, Oct. 21, 2011 in Fraser Hall 4 on Western Washington University's campus.
The lecture was co-sponsored by the WWU Center for Canadian-American Studies, Western's Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies' World Issues Forum, and the Community Food Co-op.
Farmers have been saving seeds since the dawn of agriculture, but that practice and crop diversity are threatened by consolidation of seed ownership by a handful of large chemical and pharmaceutical corporations. Agricultural resiliency and the integrity of neighboring ecosystems are further threatened by promotion of transgenic (GMO) crops by those same companies. Corporate control often is exacerbated by regulatory capture of the agencies charged with protecting farmers, the public, and the environment. Few farmers have succeeded in resisting this transformation of the agricultural system, but Schmeiser is one of those rare farmers, and his story is compelling.
Schmeiser is an elder statesman in the struggle for farmers' rights, food integrity, and biodiversity in a transgenic era. He has been challenging Monsanto's efforts to promote genetically engineered crops since 1998.
When Monsanto's 'Round-up Ready' GMO canola seeds were found in his fields, Monsanto sued the Schmeisers for patent infringement and sought $400,000 in damages. Monsanto offered to withdraw the suit if the Schmeisers signed a contract to buy the company's seeds in the future and to pay its associated technology-use fee. The Schmeisers contested the case to the Canadian Supreme Court, which ruled that Monsanto did own the "Round-up Ready" gene, but that the Schmeisers owed no damages to Monsanto. When Monsanto's seeds again found their way into Percy's fields, he sued the company for cleanup costs.
The case was settled when Monsanto agreed to pay to clean the Schmeisers' fields and dropped its demand that Percy not speak publicly about the matter. From his experience, Percy has developed 12 principles for food and agriculture in an age of biotechnology.
Schmeiser's story is one of the first and most prominent cases of a corporate claim to own patents on life. It foreshadows unfolding struggles over who controls intellectual property, cultural heritage, and the foods we eat.
Schmeiser is a farmer from Bruno, Saskatchewan, Canada, where he is a leader of the region's farm community and an advocate for farmers' rights worldwide. He was a member of the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly from 1967-1971, mayor of Bruno from 1963-1982, a town councillor from 2003-2006, and serves on several provincial and international commissions. He has won many honors, including the Social Justice Award (2010), the Right Livelihood Award (2007), the Council of Canadians' Activist of the Year Award (2004), and the Mahatma Gandhi Award (2000).
The speaker series is held by Huxley College of the Environment to bring together the environmentally minded community and other interested members of the WWU and Bellingham communities. Speakers address topics of contemporary environmental concern in the region and the world. For more information, please contact the main Huxley office, (360) 650-3520.
Huxley College of the Environment is one of the oldest environmental colleges in the nation and a recognized national leader in producing the next generation of environmental stewards. The College's academic programs reflect a broad view of the physical, biological, social and cultural world. This innovative and interdisciplinary approach makes Huxley College unique. The College has earned international recognition for the quality of its programs.
Standard YouTube License
- 55:13 AVN | Russia threatens GLOBAL WAR over Monsanto's destruction of BEES!by AmericasVoiceNow Featured 3,087
- 1:16:20 "Time is Running Out: Ecology or Economics?" - David Suzuki - May 6, 2013by Western Washington University12,981 views
- 53:51 "Investigations in Diesel Exhaust" - Nov. 4, 2011by Western Washington University592 views
- 49:11 "Coming to the Islands" - Sept. 30, 2011by Western Washington University182 views
- 43:18 WWU Football 1996 Oct 19 vs Southern Oregon State Collegeby Western Washington University103 views
- 1:19:38 Seeds Of Death - Full Movieby Gary Null582,945 views
- 23:31 Farmers Speak Out: GMOs are a Trap That Monsanto is Using to Take Over Agricultureby vastell2,386 views
- 1:28:20 Chemtrails Monsanto - GMO all are linkedby Henning Kemner735 views
- 1:49:02 The World According to Monsanto (FULL LENGTH)by zorkmen208,236 views
- 9:23 Monsanto Video Revolt! Must See Animation!by Dismantle The Matrix28,397 views
- 24:22 Jeffrey Smith GMO update January, 2012 - Monsanto, Roundup, Bayer, DuPont and moreby TheHealthRanger5,560 views
- 11:38 What in God's name are they doing to us!by Quansan525,172 views
- 1:49:03 The World According to Monsanto GMO Documentaryby The R.E.A.L. Institute -Max Bliss234,414 views
- 14:29 Monsanto, The Secret Relationship, & The Value of Landby brorashad419 views
- 12:50 El Agricultor que enfrentó a Monsanto - The farmer who fought Monsantoby joqui91388 views
- 10:30 MONSANTO BIO-FINANCIAL TERRORISTIC THREATENING (mirror)by Pi .2,372 views
- 11:52 Mitt Romney & the Monsanto connection. Documents & news articles. - Romney investigation 8by investigations20123,157 views
- 6:34 The 12 Year Old Girl Who Silenced the World for 6 Minutes -by TheAbadrew567,688 views
- 25:55 Keiser Report: Monsanto and the Seeds of Evil (E109)by RT169,424 views
- 22:22 Dallas,TX - March Against Monsanto - May 25 2013by Steven C812 views
- Loading more suggestions...