Gov. Romney Wants To Eliminate FEMA Absolutely
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 29, 2012
As Hurricane Sandy prepares to ravage the East Coast and beyond, let us pause and be thankful that Mitt Romney is not our current president. For Romney, when asked by CNN's John King about what he would do with FEMA, said essentially this:
Federal funding for disaster relief is "immoral," and is something that should be left up to the states or, "even better," the private sector.
During a CNN debate at the height of the GOP primary, Mitt Romney was asked, in the context of the Joplin disaster and FEMA's cash crunch, whether the agency should be shuttered so that states can individually take over responsibility for disaster response.
"Absolutely," he said. "Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that's even better. Instead of thinking, in the federal budget, what we should cut, we should ask the opposite question, what should we keep?"
"Including disaster relief, though?" debate moderator John King asked Romney.
"We cannot -- we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids," Romney replied. "It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we'll all be dead and gone before it's paid off. It makes no sense at all." The clip was flagged by HuffPost blogger Eric Zuesse.
The Washington Post's Greg Sargent adds: "There's another nugget here worth highlighting, though. In that appearance, Romney also suggested it would be 'even better' to send any and all responsibilities of the federal government 'to the private sector,' disaster response included. So: Romney essentially favored privatizing disaster response."
Standard YouTube License
- 4:18 Why Romney Wants Fewer Firefighters, Police, and Teachersby The Young Turks Featured 41,770
- 14:06 Ron Paul Destroys MSNBC's Alex Wagner On Syriaby djgabrielpresents81,229 views
- 5:38 Martin Bashir - Romney, GOP may rue FEMA remarks as Sandy hits East Coastby Licentiathe8th1,511 views
- 1:28:44 State Run Religion and FEMA Prepares for "Mass Fatalities"by TheAlexJonesChannel92,385 views
- 7:00 URGENT FEMA CAMPS AND FULL LIST OF WHERE THEY AREby Gumby Zhi151,759 views
- 4:02 Rachel Maddow - Is Romney serious about defunding FEMA?by Licentiathe8th3,012 views
- 1:08 2011: Romney on FEMA and disaster funding optionsby CNN22,916 views
- 14:54 Fema Camps and Gun Grabbing Troops, The Storm is Coming 2/3by TheAlexJonesChannel37,930 views
- 0:40 MITT ROMNEY CHICKENHAWK AVOIDS QUESTIONS ABOUT FEMA SANDYby theReasonists8,704 views
- 26:03 How Ron Paul Was Cheated Out Of Presidencyby ThinkOutsideTheTV157,326 views
- 5:35 Mitt Romney's Fake Disaster Relief Event In Ohioby MOXNEWSd0tC0M6,930 views
- 6:21 2013 - Ron Paul Exposes Obama Martial Law Plans!!!by Top10GamingOfficial378,769 views
- 5:07 Kid Articulates Dangerous Similarities in America's BOGUS Two Party Systemby OneTruth4Life5,380 views
- 1:32:52 (English Subtitle) Obama vs. Romney First Presidential Debate 2012by Chen Stone60,658 views
- 4:06 Mitt Romney Asked 14(?) Times If He Would Eliminate FEMA And He Refuses To Answerby MOXNEWSd0tC0M3,997 views
- 22:21 Ron Paul Defines Libertarianism - Charlie Rose Interview (Full)by SaveOurLiberty35,886 views
- 1:37 Chris Christie Dumps Romney For President Obama On Foxby Tomthunkit35,781 views
- 12:14 Ron Paul's Greatest Debate Performance Ever (10-18-2011)by KramerDSP573,372 views
- 9:32 Ron Paul: Obamacare 'A Conspiracy Of Stupidity'by selfownership115,071 views
- 1:40:37 Second Presidential Debate: Obama vs. Romney (Town Hall, Complete HD)by The Daily Conversation229,057 views
- Loading more suggestions...