Gov. Romney Wants To Eliminate FEMA Absolutely
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 29, 2012
As Hurricane Sandy prepares to ravage the East Coast and beyond, let us pause and be thankful that Mitt Romney is not our current president. For Romney, when asked by CNN's John King about what he would do with FEMA, said essentially this:
Federal funding for disaster relief is "immoral," and is something that should be left up to the states or, "even better," the private sector.
During a CNN debate at the height of the GOP primary, Mitt Romney was asked, in the context of the Joplin disaster and FEMA's cash crunch, whether the agency should be shuttered so that states can individually take over responsibility for disaster response.
"Absolutely," he said. "Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that's even better. Instead of thinking, in the federal budget, what we should cut, we should ask the opposite question, what should we keep?"
"Including disaster relief, though?" debate moderator John King asked Romney.
"We cannot -- we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids," Romney replied. "It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we'll all be dead and gone before it's paid off. It makes no sense at all." The clip was flagged by HuffPost blogger Eric Zuesse.
The Washington Post's Greg Sargent adds: "There's another nugget here worth highlighting, though. In that appearance, Romney also suggested it would be 'even better' to send any and all responsibilities of the federal government 'to the private sector,' disaster response included. So: Romney essentially favored privatizing disaster response."
Standard YouTube License
- 5:42 Fantastic FEMA and the Mystery of the Staged Sandy Hook Tragedyby OneTruth4LifeFeatured 17,154
- 3:14 Mitt Romney Said FEMA is Immoral, He'd Be the Hurricane Relief Guy?by David Pakman Show 10,288 views
- 1:08 2011: Romney on FEMA and disaster funding optionsby CNN 22,636 views
- 5:35 Mitt Romney's Fake Disaster Relief Event In Ohioby UNFAIR & BIASED 6,865 views
- 4:06 Mitt Romney Asked 14(?) Times If He Would Eliminate FEMA And He Refuses To Answerby MOXNEWSd0tC0M 3,851 views
- 0:47 Romney on FEMA Government Spendingby terumuer 162,617 views
- 4:02 Rachel Maddow - Is Romney serious about defunding FEMA?by Licentiathe8th's channel 2,858 views
- 2:49 FEMA Makes Preparation For UFO Attack YouTubeby lastcallforfreedom1 239,558 views
- 2:45 Superstorm Sandy and Romney 's FEMA Dismantlization Planby TheYoungTurks 33,330 views
- 2:06 Romney defends his extreme wealthby CNN 6,274 views
- 5:08 Mitt Romney Liesby TheYoungTurks 46,015 views
- 1:37 Chris Christie Dumps Romney For President Obama On Foxby Tomthunkit 30,533 views
- 4:50 Romney's Sandy Situationby TheAmazingAtheist 137,664 views
- 1:40 Chris Christie On Fox & Friendsby Doug Von Bug 22,261 views
- 1:30:58 ABC News/Yahoo Republican 2012 Primary Debateby On2012News 12,878 views
- 2:39 Bill Maher on Mitt Romney's Inability to Apologize (Real Time New Rules 3-16-12)by midesan's channel 38,449 views
- 2:12 Romney Wont Deny His Plans To Eliminate FEMAby Tomthunkit 522 views
- 1:40 Mitt Romney Drowning in His Own FEMA Comments!by TheFreedomator 1,297 views
- 0:51 GOP strategist: Romney is right, close FEMAby John Aravosis 5,251 views
- 6:37 Romney dodges his CUTS to FEMA questions - NOW with Alex.by PlanetEarth Trimtab 1,355 views
- Loading more suggestions...