Special Series: China's Brutal Labor Camps, Part 1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 24, 2008
Today we begin a special series on the shocking conditions within China's "re-education through labor" camps. Now, with cell phone camera footage that has just been smuggled out of China, the international community is being given a rare glimpse of life within these camps.
This is Masanjia Labor Camp, also referred to as the Ideology Education School of Liaoning Province. Practitioners of the Falun Gong spiritual practice as well as house Christians are held here, often without trial or formal sentencing.
Forced labor is one of the tactics used here to reform what the Communist Party considers improper political or spiritual beliefs. Prisoners at Masanjia often work from 5am to midnight. Sometimes, they're forced to work through the night without sleep. If they are given a chance to rest during the day, it's on the factory floor.
Mealtime means a few scraps of cornbread, and maybe some congee or a tiny portion of vegetables. Then it's back to work.
In this footage, eight Chinese prisoners can be seen straightening electrical components called diodes. Not shown here is some of the other work they're forced to do, including manufacturing Halloween decorations—like skulls and plastic tombstones—for export to the United States. Some prisoners have to handle toxic substances without protective gear, causing itching, throat pain, and lung problems over time.
In this place, not every prisoner is able to survive the conditions.
Mr. Dong Chen was a Christian from Fuxin city in Liaoning Province. Because of his affiliation with an underground church, he was sentenced to two years of re-education through labor. As told by his fellow prisoners, in December of 2007 he became severely ill with high blood pressure, and was sent home to be hospitalized. But after a week, his family could no longer afford medical treatment, so Dong was taken back to Masanjia Labor Camp and resumed his heavy workload. On the afternoon of May 25, 2008, he vomited and lost consciousness. Prison guards ignored him for several hours, until he died at around 9pm. He was 56. Labor camp officials later told Dong's family that he had died from natural causes.
This is just one of many examples of life and death within China's labor camps. Other such camps are scattered throughout China. Although it's impossible to get an accurate official count of how many prisoners are being held in these camps, human rights groups estimate it's in the tens of thousands or more.
Be sure to stay tuned over the coming weeks as NTD and its media partner, The Epoch Times, continue this in-depth series on the secret world of China's labor camps.
Standard YouTube License
- 16:03 The Sexist Revolution - Chinaby Journeyman Pictures Featured 175,426
- 5:18 Large Scale Organ Harvesting in Chinaby NTDTV18,162 views
- 2:35 Breaking footage : China's Brutal Labor Camps, Part 1by NTDTV78,852 views
- 0:51 The End of Made in Chinaby NTDTV36,770 views
- 1:45 Ex-Detainee Describes Forced Labor in Chinese Prisonsby NTDTV7,115 views
- 1:06:46 BORN AND RAISED IN A CONCENTRATION CAMPby GoogleTechTalks350,849 views
- 5:45 The Death Penalty in China | China Uncensoredby China Uncensored2,787,798 views
- 34:28 The KKK vs. the Crips vs. Memphis City Council (Full Length)by VICE2,483,938 views
- 20:53 Asia's Honey Pot - Chinaby Journeyman Pictures15,627 views
- 14:03 Ghost Cities - Chinaby Journeyman Pictures646,929 views
- 47:18 Jerome Cohen: Is There Law in China? Is There Justice?by University of California Television (UCTV)5,049 views
- 17:46 50 Years of Revolution - Chinaby Journeyman Pictures11,671 views
- 53:31 The Cannibal Warlords of Liberia (Full Length Documentary)by VICE5,153,997 views
- 6:37 Fat Camps - Chinaby Journeyman Pictures229,390 views
- 49:50 China's Great Wall part I - The Mongol Invasion (full documentary)by FulIDocumentaries162,110 views
- 12:21 Children of the Jermals - Indonesiaby Journeyman Pictures31,741 views
- 53:16 China The New Superpower?by Andrew Kaleb535,546 views
- 10:51 He Murdered 70 Million Peopleby Dave Flang1,835 views
- 3:22 Tears of Sweat; Child Labor in Chinaby nautawave4,620 views
- 2:04 5 Black teens beat Chinese restaurant owner to death with bricks 09/06/2000by UncookedVanilla20,797 views
- Loading more suggestions...