Global Warming Facts
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 23, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason ... NASA Global Warming Facts: 2009 - Second Warmest Year on Record; End of Warmest Decade
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
Global climate change ... NASA's eyes on the Earth: A warming world - global temperature update ... piecing together the temperature puzzle.
Each year, scientists at NASA'S Goddard Institute for Space Studies analyze global temperature data. The past year, 2009, tied as the second warmest year since global instrumental temperature records began 130 years ago. Worldwide, the mean temperature was 0.57°C (1.03°F) warmer than the 1951-1980 base period. And January 2000 to December 2009 came out as the warmest decade on record.
2009 was tied for the second warmest year in the modern record, a new NASA analysis of global surface temperature shows. The analysis, conducted by the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York City, also shows that in the Southern Hemisphere, 2009 was the warmest year since modern records began in 1880.
Although 2008 was the coolest year of the decade, due to strong cooling of the tropical Pacific Ocean, 2009 saw a return to near-record global temperatures. The past year was only a fraction of a degree cooler than 2005, the warmest year on record, and tied with a cluster of other years — 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006 and 2007 1998 and 2007 — as the second warmest year since recordkeeping began.
"There's always an interest in the annual temperature numbers and on a given year's ranking, but usually that misses the point," said James Hansen, the director of GISS. "There's substantial year-to-year variability of global temperature caused by the tropical El Niño-La Niña cycle. But when we average temperature over five or ten years to minimize that variability, we find that global warming is continuing unabated."
January 2000 to December 2009 was the warmest decade on record. Throughout the last three decades, the GISS surface temperature record shows an upward trend of about 0.2°C (0.36°F) per decade. Since 1880, the year that modern scientific instrumentation became available to monitor temperatures precisely, a clear warming trend is present, though there was a leveling off between the 1940s and 1970s.
The near-record temperatures of 2009 occurred despite an unseasonably cool December in much of North America. High air pressures in the Arctic decreased the east-west flow of the jet stream, while also increasing its tendency to blow from north to south and draw cold air southward from the Arctic. This resulted in an unusual effect that caused frigid air from the Arctic to rush into North America and warmer mid-latitude air to shift toward the north.
"Of course, the contiguous 48 states cover only 1.5 percent of the world area, so the U.S. temperature does not affect the global temperature much,' said Hansen. In total, average global temperatures have increased by about 0.8°C (1.5°F) since 1880.
"That's the important number to keep in mind," said Gavin Schmidt, another GISS climatologist. "In contrast, the difference between, say, the second and sixth warmest years is trivial since the known uncertainty — or noise — in the temperature measurement is larger than some of the differences between the warmest years."
Decoding the Temperature Record: Climate scientists agree that rising levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases trap incoming heat near the surface of the Earth and are the key factors causing the rise in temperatures since 1880, but these gases are not the only factors that can impact global temperatures.
Standard YouTube License
- 54:13 Global Warming or a New Ice Age: Documentary Filmby The Film ArchiveFeatured 277,100
- 9:38 Man dies, comes back to life, what he sawby Lee Goodall 16,570,861 views
- Climate Denial Crock of the Week 114 videos15K
- 3:24 Green house Effect and Global warmingby feuvince8 164,130 views
- 9:09 Man-made Global Warming debunked! Check The Facts!by vst7gst 8,446 views
- 10:03 BBC WORLD - CLIMATE CHANGEby beccisenior 71,973 views
- 3:46 Global Warming - Did You Know?by SupaM0o 83,651 views
- 1:44:05 Climate Change: James Hansen at Sydney Ideasby Ian McPherson 3,336 views
- 0:32 Global Warming: 1880-2011by The Daily Conversation 96,896 views
- 10:31 Global Warming: What We Knew in 82by Climate Denial Crock of the Week 47,195 views
- 5:16 Shocking Facts You Did Not Know A Minute Agoby TakashiNippon's channel 2,879,975 views
- 4:53 Fox Rips Huntsman On Global Warmingby The Young Turks 61,223 views
- 4:48 Pollution and Global Warmingby lordsol 80,540 views
- 10:47 Doomsday Prophecy 2012: NASA admits it now!!!!by finehumility 4,651,410 views
- 3:56 global warming presentationby manustevie08's channel 42,769 views
- 9:43 Apocalypse? No! - Why there is no Global Warming Crisisby Bushvision 38,734 views
- 3:03 EARTH - One video you NEED to seeby "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. 5,069,345 views
- 1:46 10 Strange Facts About Dreamsby All Time 10s 1,778,057 views
- 7:16 20 - Are cosmic rays causing global warming?by potholer54 54,362 views
- 1:11 6 Degrees Warmer: Mass Extinction?by National Geographic 586,420 views
- 6:29 Global Warming Panic explainedby Battlefield315 261,813 views
- Loading more suggestions...