The 6% Club
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 21, 2011
Dr. Yong Zhao Yong Zhao is currently Presidential Chair and Associate Dean for Global Education, College of Education at the University of Oregon, where he also serves as the director of the Center for Advanced Technology in Education (CATE). He is a fellow of the International Academy for Education.
His research interests include educational policy, computer gaming and education, diffusion of innovations, teacher adoption of technology, computer-assisted language learning, and globalization and education.
Zhao has extensive international experiences. He has consulted with government and educational agencies and spoken on educational issues in many countries on six continents. His current work focuses on designing 21st Century Schools in the context of globalization and the digital revolution.
Zhao has published over 20 books and 100 articles. His most recent book is Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization and the Handbook of Asian Education. He has also developed computer software, including the award-winning New Chengo/ZON (http://enterzon.com), the world's first massively multi-player online role-playing game for studying Chinese.
The high stakes testing fervor which has swept through our public school system has been a national disaster. Not only are these standardized tests flawed, but they have wreaked havoc on the teaching profession, distorting the meaning of "quality education", whilst depriving millions of children of the opportunity to have an enriching engaging educational experience. Curriculum progressively narrows; children are labeled at ever earlier ages in a "uni-dimensional" manner; high school dropout rates are increasing; children from disadvantaged backgrounds are continuing to be the victims of scripted base programs and regimented schedules; state budgets struggle to fund education. All of this, and yet, millions upon millions of tax dollars are being spent to keep the testing-mill going and to purchase a vast variety of boxed curriculae which promise school districts "higher scores".
But, we can stop it.
Parents have the RIGHT to opt their children out of this cycle of madness.
If just 6% of the children per school site were opted out of this grossly over-rated system of assessing students and holding educators accountable, we could begin to have a productive dialogue about more humane and complex systems of assessment and education.
JOIN THE MOST IMPORTANT MOVEMENT OF THE 21st CENTURY: The 6% CLUB!
"Opt out now! Ask me how!"
Standard YouTube License
- 3:27 Standardized Testing's Epic Fail!by SourceFedFeatured 263,659
- 14:59 Linda Darling-Hammond Debates Rick Hess 3of3by EdFunders 603 views
- 10:06 New Ideas in Education from Professor Yong Zhao, Michigan State Universityby The Heat 257 views
- 2:36 Parents opt out of standardized testsby CNN 3,241 views
- 17:33 TEDxTraverse City- Yong Zhao- Teach Children to Invent Jobsby TEDxTalks 3,901 views
- 11:02 Yong Zhao: No Child Left Behind and Global Competitivenessby Teacher Rich 2,181 views
- 22:02 Daniel Pink in conversation with Prof. Yong Zhaoby byschoolsforschools 1,157 views
- 4:35 Special Report: Miami-Dade County Teacher Urges Parents to Opt Out of the FCATby Te-Erika Patterson 260 views
- 5:53 Why Education in Finland Worksby AFTHQ 104,689 views
- 4:25 Yong Zhao on Catching Up or Leading the Wayby msuresearch 8,149 views
- 1:16:00 ISTE 2012 Tuesday Keynote Featuring Yong Zhaoby istevideos 2,990 views
- 2:49 Trailer: Education Advocacy the Voice of Real Reform.movby anovellife 474 views
- 6:27 Billionaire J. Crown (Obama's senate campaign financier): "We got money" 2 privatize education.by triestobefair 1,255 views
- 10:42 Dr. Yong Zhao - American Education in the Age of Globalizationby emporiastateuniv 2,764 views
- 1:47 I am more, Mayor Bloombergby EducateBloombergNYC 1,133 views
- 2:44:46 Yong Zhao ELDA Summer Instituteby uofsandiego 1,525 views
- 3:35 Yong Zhaoby Barry Lane 259 views
- 17:52 2011 OEA EdSymposium - Dr Zhao (Pt. 1 of 3)by OregonEdAssociation's channel 1,898 views
- 1:20:30 Dr. Yong Zhao - American Education in the Age of Globalization - Complete Lectureby emporiastateuniv 178 views
- 5:10 Aneesh Chopra: Opening the Education R & D Pipelineby ecorner 162 views
- Loading more suggestions...