Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 11, 2012
Similarly to my 2005 piece entitled Demographix, AE64 is a tribute to the demoscene and to the legacy of world's most popular microcomputer: Commodore 64.
While this video was created using the typical contemporary arsenal of tools (mainly After Effects and Cinema 4D), it conforms to most of the basic graphical limitations of the C64 such as a limited 16-color palette, low resolution, use of the overscan area etc. To maintain the spirit of the demo, I also created most of the effects using various scripts and code snippets, procedurally automating many of the tasks typically animated using keyframes.
The idea for this video (or, if you prefer, a "wild demo") came to me a few weeks ago, during the 7DX demoparty. Seeing how this nearly 30 year old system still has people coding for it, developing new tools and techniques as well as actively participating in various demo competitions -- really stroke a note of nostalgia in me. I remembered my first C64, countless hours of games, graphic programs, chip tunes... I even recall creating some zine with my friends and printing it on a noisy dot matrix printer. (To be technically correct, my first computer was an Atari 65XE, but for the sake of the story, let's ignore it.)
For the soundtrack of this piece I chose "Katana Blaster (Constantly Playing Mix)" from the album "Impostor Nostalgia" by Big Giant Circles. The piece was composed by Mick Gordon and since I pretty much had it playing on a loop for several weeks now, I simply had to use it. The song manages to beautifully mix the classic chip tune sounds with contemporary electronic vibes and dubstep rhythm -- and Mick was kind enough to give me the rights to use it for this video.
To learn more about Mick Gordon and his music, visit his site at: http://mick-gordon.com/
If you ever owned a C64, I am sure you will enjoy this piece. Happy new year!
Concept, Design, Animation & Scripting: Quba Michalski
Music: Mick Gordon
Tools: After Effects, Cinema 4D
Original post on QubaHQ:
Standard YouTube License
- 1:03:13 28c3: Behind the scenes of a C64 demoby 28c312,922 views
- 25:45 30 Games for 30 Years... Commodore 64by Gab1975ita17,548 views
- 9:39 SuperCPU V1 for C64 demonstrationby Thomas Conté11,672 views
- 4:44 Today's kids try the Commodore 64by galleryofsports140,214 views
- 1:03:13 Behind the scenes of a C64 demo [28C3]by CCCen39,898 views
- 43:05 Amiga demo: Alcatraz - Odyssey (complete)by Kuokka7728,194 views
- 6:47 Universal C64 Cartridge Prototypeby Frank Buss3,621 views
- 5:02 Guilty as charged - Stream 2012 Invitation by Byterapersby mikron3171,198 views
- 4:38 64 secondsby P-a Bäckström2,275 views
- 2:07:40 Commodore C64 - 1982by Evgeny Z246,853 views
- 27:43 NASA Eyes on the Solar System: Juno Mission to Jupiterby kurtjmac19,481 views
- 11:10 C64 Scenedemo One Quarter by Fairlight (Datastorm 2012)by AmigaOmega16,781 views
- 3:22 VQ-Mania - A demo on C64 - stock hardwareby thealgorithm1,242 views
- 30:32 Computer:club² - Folge 91 - 30 Jahre Commodore 64 mit dem Return-Magazinby Tommes Koch21,184 views
- 8:33 Review of Into the Eagles Nest for Atari XEby KetilsGEEKTV916 views
- 4:09 Commodore 64 Christmas Demoby kmoser25,454 views
- 6:08 C64 Ghostbusters on The Computer Chroniclesby Ghostbusters.org46,244 views
- 2:47 Amiga A2000 using RGB to VGA converter 15khz to 37khzby mjnurney1,478 views
- 6:32 Adventures In Retro Computing - Unboxing A Cwap Load of Atari Computer Stuff - Part Iby Ogma019,027 views
- 15:04 BOOZE DESIGN 2008 EDGE OF DISGRACE (C64) [OLD VERSION]by lemmingiFIGation22,099 views
- Loading more suggestions...