Historic theater at USC Salkehatchie receives facelift
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 18, 2013
Long before videotape, Netflix or smartphone technologies, going to the movie theater used to be a community-wide social event. Saturday afternoon at "the show" in downtown U.S.A. was the place to take a date or the family for good, wholesome entertainment.
In the town of Allendale, S.C., home to USC Salkehatchie's campus, the Carolina Theatre was just such a place from the 1930s to the '60s. That all changed when something called the interstate began steering tourist traffic away from the little town, which had been a midway point between New York City and Miami. Gone were the tourists who visited the town's restaurants, shops and hotels, and soon the movie theater became a dinner theater, a pool hall and finally fell into disrepair and closed.
The theater is now owned by USC Salkehatchie, and the feelings and memories of a bygone era are recaptured in a book compiled and edited by two USC art students, Sara Mcgregor and Mari Humphries. The book, titled "The Carolina Theatre" is filled with stories about how the theater was the gathering place for the entire town.
"I want people to get a sense of what it was like back then. The purpose of the book is that I wanted to preserve the memories of the past before we make new memories for the future," says McGregor, a Masters of Art in Teaching graduate student.
USC Salkehatchie received two grants to restore the theater in its old art deco style. That's when Ann Carmichael, dean of USC Salkehatchie, asked Karen Heid, professor and coordinator of art education at USC Columbia, to be a consultant on the theater renovations, and to include her students. Their task was to create artwork to go into the renovated theater. From that work, the idea for the book was born.
"I always look for experiential things for my students. I just think that out of the classroom experiences are just really important, especially for soon-to-be teachers," Heid says. "I looked and saw that there was an opportunity for them to do some things that they might not be able to do in any other studio classroom, like learning to do gold-leafing, learning to do stained glass, learning to create theater interiors."
Standard YouTube License
- 2:07 Algernon Sydney Sullivan award recipient Todd Crumpby University of South Carolina175 views
- 0:16 What's your No Limits story?by University of South Carolina46 views
- 3:12 2013 Distinguished Alumni Award recipients- Bill & Lou Kennedyby University of South Carolina390 views
- 2:47 Sorority puts in long hours preparing for a Step Show competitionby University of South Carolina74 views
- 26:55 7 28 2013 Salkehatchie Sundayby redbankumc47 views
- 23:21 2013 USC vs Missouri - Overtime with Radio Commentaryby SFCocking11,294 views
- 6:14 Ride For My Team (Forever to Thee) starring Marcus Lattimore, George Rogers & Darius Ruckerby dinobrite133,804 views
- 6:43 USC Lady Code Episode 1 Officialby Student Gamecock Television (SGTV)691 views
- 1:26 Documents belonging to USC's first African American professor return to campusby University of South Carolina46 views
- 2:27 Project reclaimed runway---fashion trash to fashion treasureby University of South Carolina53 views
- 2:23 Proving Ground competition winner Huddle HR close to opening up shopby University of South Carolina304 views
- 2:03 Faculty fellowship program established with $10M giftby University of South Carolina51 views
- 2:35 2013 Outstanding Black Alumna- Toby Jenkins-Henryby University of South Carolina228 views
- 1:25 Fire Prevention Awareness demonstration at the University of South Carolinaby University of South Carolina127 views
- 2:30 A new home for the "famously cocky" alumni of the University of South Carolinaby University of South Carolina223 views
- 4:40 McCausland Faculty Fellows at the University of South Carolinaby University of South Carolina7 views
- 2:07 2013 Honorary Life Member Award- John Bachmannby University of South Carolina68 views
- 2:19 Sandstorm - USC vs Clemson 2013 (4th Quarter)by Billfred Leverette8,361 views
- 9:53 Rivertown Salkehatchie 2013 - Site Tourby Austin Bond463 views
- 2:00 2013 Outstanding Young Alumnus- Tripp Jenningsby University of South Carolina219 views
- Loading more suggestions...