Paul Ryan - Leadership Needed to Save Medicare; Lift Debt Burden; Grow Economy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 22, 2011
Earlier this morning on Meet the Press, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan demanded policymakers get serious about our nation's most pressing problems. Appearing on the program from his home state of Wisconsin, Ryan pushed back against those playing politics with the health security of America's seniors and offering empty promises to future generations.
Ryan called out those who take issue with the House Republicans' proposed solution with no alternative:
"I have no problems with somebody who is offering alternative solutions. I have problems with people who aren't offering any solutions and are just playing politics."
Ryan clarified the real choice on Medicare:
"Let's be clear about what we're proposing here -- this is as sensible and gradual as it gets. We're saying no changes for Medicare for people at or above the age of 55. In order to keep the promise to current seniors who have already retired and organized their lives around this program, you have to reform it for the next generation. The way in which we propose to reform it for the next generation -- in keeping with Bill Clinton's bipartisan commission to reform Medicare -- is an idea that's been around for a long time called premium support: guaranteed coverage options for Medicare, where the government subsidizes the poor and the sick a whole lot more than the wealthy, and people get to choose. We're saying: do not affect current seniors, give future seniors the ability to deny business to inefficient providers. By contrast, the President's plan is to give government the power to deny care to seniors by empowering a panel of 15 unelected bureaucrats to put price controls and rationing in place for current seniors."
Standard YouTube License
- 24:17 Paul Ryan at the Economic Club of Chicago: Shared Scarcity vs Renewed Prosperityby HouseBudgetCommittee4,326 views
- 13:30 Paul Ryan on Meet the Press: We Need a Clean Break from the Politics of the Pastby HouseBudgetCommittee10,158 views
- 4:54 The Path to Prosperity (Episode 2): Saving Medicare, Visualizedby HouseBudgetCommittee171,728 views
- 6:29 Paul Ryan on Meet the Press: The Serious Consequences of the President's Unserious Budgetby HouseBudgetCommittee3,925 views
- 7:53 Paul Ryan teaching Economics to Chris Matthews.flvby panhandlepatriots123,384 views
- 2:53 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) To Obama: "You're Not Listening" To The People!by Greg Hengler133,723 views
- 3:24 Speaker Pelosi on "When Life Begins"by petulantrumble31,131 views
- 1:30:51 Full VP Debate - Joe Biden and Paul Ryan - Vice Presidential Debate Fullby WSJDigitalNetwork25,249 views
- 9:07 Paul Ryan on Meet the Press: Let's Advance Upward Mobility & Economic Opportunityby RepPaulRyan2,847 views
- 25:20 Martin Luther King Jr. on NBC's Meet the Press in 1965by NBC News894,814 views
- 9:49 Governor Christie on 'Meet the Press'by GovChristie31,274 views
- 4:33 Nelson Mandela Death: Obama Remembers 'Profoundly Good' Manby The New York Times15,424 views
- 6:00 Bill Cosby on Meet The Press 01by todobeso70125,017 views
- 4:31 President Obama Mourns the Death of Nelson Mandelaby WSJDigitalNetwork33,240 views
- 1:20 Queen humiliates President Obama at Buckingham Palace by refusing toast - May 24 2011by newsreeldemocracy3,115,272 views
- 9:45 Paul Ryan talks health care with Howard Dean and John Sheilsby RepPaulRyan35,990 views
- 4:30 Charlie Rose - Rep. Paul Ryan, Wisconsin (R)by Charlie Rose4,614 views
- 14:21 Michael Moore on The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, May 24, 2011 -- Part 1by mmflint16,450 views
- 10:50 Ron Paul On CNBC About The Ryan Budget & Medicareby SaveOurSovereignty35,408 views
- 8:05 Sean Hannity FOX News: Paul Ryan Interview Budget Cutsby TheLawman492,275 views
- Loading more suggestions...