Paul Ryan - Leadership Needed to Save Medicare; Lift Debt Burden; Grow Economy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 22, 2011
Earlier this morning on Meet the Press, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan demanded policymakers get serious about our nation's most pressing problems. Appearing on the program from his home state of Wisconsin, Ryan pushed back against those playing politics with the health security of America's seniors and offering empty promises to future generations.
Ryan called out those who take issue with the House Republicans' proposed solution with no alternative:
"I have no problems with somebody who is offering alternative solutions. I have problems with people who aren't offering any solutions and are just playing politics."
Ryan clarified the real choice on Medicare:
"Let's be clear about what we're proposing here -- this is as sensible and gradual as it gets. We're saying no changes for Medicare for people at or above the age of 55. In order to keep the promise to current seniors who have already retired and organized their lives around this program, you have to reform it for the next generation. The way in which we propose to reform it for the next generation -- in keeping with Bill Clinton's bipartisan commission to reform Medicare -- is an idea that's been around for a long time called premium support: guaranteed coverage options for Medicare, where the government subsidizes the poor and the sick a whole lot more than the wealthy, and people get to choose. We're saying: do not affect current seniors, give future seniors the ability to deny business to inefficient providers. By contrast, the President's plan is to give government the power to deny care to seniors by empowering a panel of 15 unelected bureaucrats to put price controls and rationing in place for current seniors."
Standard YouTube License
- 6:20 Rep. Paul Ryan protesters harassed by nameless Rebel Pundit blogger - Police have to step inby The Video Catalyst ProjectFeatured 855
- 24:17 Paul Ryan at the Economic Club of Chicago: Shared Scarcity vs Renewed Prosperityby HouseBudgetCommittee 4,224 views
- 13:30 Paul Ryan on Meet the Press: We Need a Clean Break from the Politics of the Pastby HouseBudgetCommittee 10,090 views
- 4:54 The Path to Prosperity (Episode 2): Saving Medicare, Visualizedby HouseBudgetCommittee 170,586 views
- 5:59 Paul Ryan Sets The Record Straightby Committee on the Budget 8,574 views
- 9:56 Ryan and Van Hollen Debate Medicare Proposalsby FoxNewsInsider 1,514 views
- 2:23 Paul Ryan Destroys Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in Obamacare Debateby 912erSTL 604,497 views
- 1:18 David Gregory to Paul Ryan: Your Problem Is Republicans Think You're Smart But Don't Support Youby Canal de OnlyWaxing 2,069 views
- 9:27 Women Vote Analyzed on NBC's "Meet The Press" - 9-2-12by RightSightings 48,260 views
- 25:20 Martin Luther King Jr. on NBC's Meet the Press in 1965by NBCNews 868,044 views
- 4:20 Will Paul Ryan Be Forced to Join the Race for 2012?by FoxNewsInsider 780 views
- 2:53 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) To Obama: "You're Not Listening" To The People!by Greg Hengler 132,987 views
- 8:10 Paul Ryan on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthewsby RepPaulRyan's channel 171,542 views
- 1:42 Barney Frank vs. Paul Ryanby ThinkProgress.org 188,147 views
- 12:26 Ryan: Debt crisis lies within spending, not taxesby CBSNewsOnline 3,183 views
- 3:37 Paul Ryan attempts an adult conversation on debt & entitlement reformby RepPaulRyan's channel 609,410 views
- 8:05 Sean Hannity FOX News: Paul Ryan Interview Budget Cutsby TheLawman49 2,205 views
- 4:30 Charlie Rose - Rep. Paul Ryan, Wisconsin (R)by Charlie Rose 4,562 views
- 10:36 Rep. Paul Ryan Gives Republican Response to State of the Union Addressby PBSNewsHour 67,725 views
- 8:17 Paul Ryan Labor Day Paradeby Martin Eigenberger 56,672 views
- Loading more suggestions...