- ▶ An Artist's Life on a Small Family Farm by foodfarmerearth
- 2 An Urban Farm Feeds Local Neighborhood with Hel... by foodfarmerearth
- 3 Growing Micro Greens and Organic Produce for Re... by foodfarmerearth
- 4 Sustainable Energy: Thermal Banking Greenhouse ... by cookingupastory
- 5 A Small Family Upick Farm and Farm Stand by foodfarmerearth
- 6 Collecting a Wild Honeybee Swarm by cookingupastory
- 7 Raising Backyard Chickens by cookingupastory
- 8 Beekeeping Basics: Equipment For Beginners by cookingupastory
- 9 Energy Independence: On Farm Biodiesel Fuel Pro... by cookingupastory
- 10 Beekeeping Basics: Getting Started by cookingupastory
- 11 Trantham's Sustainable 12 Aprils Dairy Grazing ... by cookingupastory
- 12 Lon Rombough: Grafting Fruit Trees by cookingupastory
- 13 Planting Starts for a Winter Garden by cookingupastory
- 14 Container Gardening: Growing Salad Bowls by cookingupastory
- 15 From The Field: Kale by cookingupastory
- 16 Planting Beets by cookingupastory
- 17 Organizing Seeds by cookingupastory
- 18 Frikeh, Freekeh, Fereek: Green Wheat Wonder by cookingupastory
- 19 Lon Rombough's Family Apple Tree by cookingupastory
- 20 Potting Up Tomato Seedlings by cookingupastory
- 21 Storing and Planting Heirloom Corn by cookingupastory
- 22 Supa Fresh Youth Farm: Helping Underserved Teen... by foodfarmerearth
An Artist's Life on a Small Family Farm
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 20, 2012
Eggs aren't just for breakfast at Big Table Farm.
Eggs, and the chickens that lay them, are a critical part of an integrated system that sustains the land and the couple who farm it, Clare Carver and her husband, winemaker Brian Marcy. The birds are also a frequent subject of Clare's paintings, a living part of the landscape from which she draws her inspiration.
Carver was raised on her family's farm, but at the age of 7 she moved to the city with her family. She took to riding horses at a nearby stable and participated in 4-H activities through grade school and in high school. Carver also started painting, often finding inspiration in the natural environments that surrounded her.
Now, as she and her husband live and work on Big Table Farm in Gaston, Oregon, Carver's canvas largely focuses on the farm animals she raises, including her chickens and even their eggs—the latter more of a challenge, as she explains in this video.
Inspired by another farmer, Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm, she and Brian use a system called rotational grazing where the chickens are moved onto a patch of pasture after the farm's herd of cattle have grazed it. The chickens scratch at the dried cow manure looking for bugs, scattering it around the pasture, which in turn fertilizes the ground and allows new grass to emerge.
When the birds have finished their work, which takes about two weeks, they're moved onto a new pasture to start the process again. The eggs from the hens, along with other chickens raised for meat, provide a source of income, as well as feeding Brian and Clare, making them a part of the rotational system, too.
Combining her art and life on her small family farm defines Clare Carver's story: her love of the beauty that she discovers daily from her direct connections with the land and, as a farmer, the life that she helps cultivate around her.
Food.Farmer.Earth- a journey of wide discovery about our food
Subscribe to Food.Farmer.Earth-receive the latest videos
Food.Farmer.Earth follow us on twitter
Food.Farmer.Earth join us on Facebook
Cooking Up a Story-Bringing the people behind our food to life
Cooking Up a Story channel on YouTube
Subscribe to Cooking Up a Story-receive the latest videos
Daily Email Subscriptions
Cooking Up a Story twitter
Cooking Up a Story- Facebook
Standard YouTube License
- 56:44 Anne Madden Painter & Muse - RTE Arts Livesby Mind the Gap FilmsFeatured 4,646
- 4:27 Visit to a Rare Wasabi Farmby Food.Farmer.Earth 20,088 views
- 2:10 The Wonder of Farm Fresh Eggsby foodfarmerearth 2,845 views
- 4:35 Winter Greenhouse Farmingby Food.Farmer.Earth 17,178 views
- 7:02 An Urban Farm Feeds Local Neighborhood with Help from Disabledby foodfarmerearth 10,336 views
- 27:42 Joel Salatin and Polyface Farm Part 2 Video #43by horticultureandhomes 4,082 views
- 14:56 Small Farm Rising Family Farm Choresby Mountain Lake PBS 74,498 views
- 4:42 How to Make a Living Farming a Quarter Acreby smallfarming 40,524 views
- 53:24 Joel Salatin - Mother Earth News Fair Puyallup 2012 #MENFby UrbanToRural 3,045 views
- 26:24 Polyface Farm and Joel Salatin Part 1 Video #42by horticultureandhomes 13,142 views
- 8:21 Raising Backyard Chickensby cookingupastory's channel 50,803 views
- 4:28 Over Seeding a Pastureby Whatcom CD 36,878 views
- 1:35:25 PFI presents Joel Salatinby pfivideos 2,068 views
- 4:25 Lambing Season on the Farmby Food.Farmer.Earth 3,663 views
- 12:36 In Short Supply: Small Farmers and the Struggle to Deliver Healthy Food to Your Plateby Bread for the World 26,640 views
- 7:06 Bought the Farmby Our Ohio 16,066 views
- 12:30 Life of an Artist (The Documentary)by TheArtClear 12,353 views
- 11:43 Kevin Smith - Explaining the meaning of life as an artistby ZiLBERLaND 36,363 views
- 6:24 Backyard farmers by necessity: self-sufficient & debt-freeby Kirsten Dirksen of *faircompanies 159,867 views
- 2:30 Story on Joel Salatin by Britt Carlson 01-17-2011.wmvby ChaffinOrchards 8,006 views
- Loading more suggestions...