Trincomalee, Sri Lanka.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 31, 2011
Trincomalee, one of the finest natural deep-water harbors in the world is located 257 km north-east of Colombo, capital city of Sri Lanka. Trincomalee is home to fine beaches of Nilaveli, Uppaveli and off-shore Pigeon Island. Recently Trincomalee has become popular as a Whale Watching destination too. The Dive centers at Nilaveli, Uppaveli support the tourists to enjoy their holidays in diving, snorkeling and swimming. Trincomalee district, called Gokanna or Gokarna in the historical chronicles and inscriptions, being studded with a multitude of ruins of ancient Buddhist temples, is a major Sinhalese Buddhist cultural and archeological site of Sri Lanka. The seven hot springs at Kanniyai located just 8km from Trincomalee attract regular crowds throughout the year in view of the therapeutic properties of water therein varying in temperature from one well to the other.
Trincomalee, in history
Gokarna in Trincomalee, Mantota in Mannar and Dambakolapattuna in Jaffna, among other sea-ports of Sri Lanka, had been great ports of ancient Three Sinhala since 543 B.C. Trincomalee or Gokanna or Gokarna or Siri Gonamala as the ancient sea-port town was recorded in the historical chronicles of Sri Lanka, is the harbor where Prince Panduvasudeva, King Vijya's nephew sailed into Sri Lanka from Sinhapura, India. "Badda Kachchayana who later became the queen of King Panduwasdeva (505-474 B.C.) with her party of royal maidens too landed in Siri Gonamala harbor. She was a sister of Prince Digha, the founder of Dighavapi.
In an essay entitled, Aryan settlements and early kings, published in the Concise History of Ceylon by Sri Lanka's foremost historian a pre-eminent archeologist Dr. Senarath Paranavithana writing about the king who ruled Ceylon (Sri Lanka) after the first king Vijaya said, "Panduvasdeva with thirty two followers, it is said, arrived in Ceylon in the guise of mendicant monks. They landed at the mouth of the Mahakandara River at the port of Gokanna, the modern Trincomalee according to the commentator of the chronicle (Mahavamsa)".
E. T. Kannangara, in "Jaffna and the Sinhala heritage" wrote, Trincomalee during the periods of the Sinhala kings was one of the chief trading centers in Sri Lanka. Sri Gokarna, Siri Gokanna, Sri Gonapura, Siri Gonamala, Gonagamaka Pattana, Gonagama-Patuna, and much earlier Gokannatitta were some of the names attached to this place in the chronicles. The present Sinhala name Thirikunamala is apparently a derivation from Siri Gonamala. The conversion of the name follows the pattern that Sinhala names Somapura, Kokavila, Mampe and Valigama Madakalapuva being converted into Sampur, Kokuvil, Manipay, Valikamam and Mattakalapu.
The conversion of Gokarna to 'Tirukonamalai' first appears in a Tamil inscription dated to 10th or 11th century A.D. Buddhist Vihara at Gokanna called Sri Gokarna Vihara built in the reign of King Mahasen (276-303 A.C.) was the earliest religious edifice in Trincomalee. Being on a rock it was also called Vehera Gala (Vihara on a rock). Gokanna Buddhist Vihare temple was expanded by King Agbo V (718-724 AD) and demolished by the Portuguese to build a fortress in the 16th century. Gokanna Vihare is one of the 74 Buddhist sites identified at Trincomalee district by the Department of Archeology of Sri Lanka. Swami Rock, the highest point in Fort Frederick is an ancient site where there had been Buddhist shrines.
Standard YouTube License
- 14:47 Thiru Koneswaram Sivan Templeby ravi glory3,525 views
- 6:32 Jaffna Town: Travel Video of Northern Tamil, Sri Lanka (யாழ்ப்பாணம்)by Mark Wiens120,015 views
- 1:52 Sri Lanka East Coast : Trincomalee in a minuteby Henk Groenen4,839 views
- 10:30 Our Holidays in Sri Lanka - Kandy & Nuwara Eliya -by vansespeiris183,457 views
- 15:01 A Bus Journey Sri Lanka 2012by Lou Wilson17,350 views
- 1:00:01 Election Campaign Speech by Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan (Pillaiyan) at Kallady Batticaloaby Mathi Kumarathurai7,912 views
- 7:01 Negombo Markets Sri Lankaby Marilyn Wouters13,922 views
- 35 videos Play all Sri Lanka (New)by SSBrealty
- 2:30 Wonders of Sri Lanka - 6 Nights, 7Days Tourby ncadj21,183 views
- 4:06 Marble Beach Resort, Trincomalee, Sri Lankaby Sumedha Jayasena4,874 views
- 1:14 Jaffna Point Pedro Street@Sri Lankaby kataragamajapan1,544 views
- 2:13:10 65th National Independence Day Celebration of Sri Lanka - Live from Trincomalee - 2013-02-04by Lankan TV5,457 views
- 10:30 Sri Lanka 7v10 -- Trincomaleeby asiatrips25,026 views
- 5:31 2009 Wennappuwa market Sri Lankaby eyes113825,009 views
- 7:30 ERAVUR KODUWAMADU BADULLA ROAD BATTICALOA SRI LANKA .mp4by fareed9089,159 views
- 4:29 Colombo to Jaffna HDby Shen6749,419 views
- 16:29 Ulagalla Resort, Anuradhapura, Sri Lankaby lakpura11,442 views
- 4:02 Sri Lanka 2010 1080i - Singalese Tamal Buddhist Hindu Festival Galle Trincomaleeby KalimantanTraveller4,593 views
- 3:18 Sites of SriLanka - Tricomaleeby R.B. Ratnayake8,127 views
- 8:56 Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka Part 01 By Erickson Tisseraby Shehan Tissera17,787 views