The Conscious Brain - Professor Damasio (I)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 2, 2011
Antonio Damasio is David Dornsife Professor of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Neurology, and director of the Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California.
From one of the most significant neuroscientists at work today, a pathbreaking investigation of a question that has confounded philosophers, psychologists, and neuroscientists for centuries: how is consciousness created?
Antonio Damasio has spent the past thirty years studying and writing about how the brain operates, and his work has garnered acclaim for its singular melding of the scientific and the humanistic. In Self Comes to Mind, he goes against the long-standing idea that consciousness is somehow separate from the body, presenting compelling new scientific evidence that consciousness—what we think of as a mind with a self—is to begin with a biological process created by a living organism. Besides the three traditional perspectives used to study the mind (the introspective, the behavioral, and the neurological), Damasio introduces an evolutionary perspective that entails a radical change in the way the history of conscious minds is viewed and told. He also advances a radical hypothesis regarding the origins and varieties of feelings, which is central to his framework for the biological construction of consciousness: feelings are grounded in a near fusion of body and brain networks, and first emerge from the historically old and humble brain stem rather than from the modern cerebral cortex.
Damasio suggests that the brain's development of a human self becomes a challenge to nature's indifference and opens the way for the appearance of culture, a radical break in the course of evolution and the source of a new level of life regulation—sociocultural homeostasis. He leaves no doubt that the blueprint for the work-in-progress he calls sociocultural homeostasis is the genetically well-established basic homeostasis, the curator of value that has been present in simple life-forms for billions of years. Self Comes to Mind is a groundbreaking journey into the neurobiological foundations of mind and self.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:09:07 The Primacy of Consciousness - Peter Russell - Full Versionby Peter Russell 225,402 views
- 58:01 Stuart Hameroff - How Does the Brain Produce Consciousnessby TheHallOfRecords 4,878 views
- 10:09 El cerebro y emociones Antonio Damasioby ClasePsicologia2 8,834 views
- 9:32 The Conscious Brain - Professor Damasio (II)by pangeaprogressredux 2,285 views
- 15:46 Consciousness Without Brain Activity: Near Death Experiences - Dr. Bruce Greysonby NourFoundation 22,135 views
- Antonio Damasio 180 videos52
- 1:29:07 Antonio Damasio: INET Keynote Address entitled Human Decisionsby INETeconomics 4,995 views
- 37:52 3. Christof Koch - Brain, Mind, and Consciousness - Skeptics Society 2005by Barry Belmont 4,067 views
- 50:57 Bruce Lipton - 'The Power Of Consciousness' - Interview by Iain McNayby Conscious TV 492,352 views
- 21:52 Dan Dennett on our consciousness, Best Brain Supplementsby excelerol 10,444 views
- 10:09 Reality as Consciousness...by GilLuhv 41,177 views
- 9:42 António Damásio Parte 1by HelenoPinhal 15,275 views
- 15:00 The Unconscious Mind Unveiledby Esoterietelevisie 174,480 views
- 52:05 DAN DENNETT AT HIS BESTby joshuacolumbus 27,092 views
- 1:49:23 David Lynch: Consciousness, Creativity and the Brainby UCBerkeleyEvents 237,072 views
- 10:40 Consciousness & Neurophilosophy (Gerald Edelman)by zencat01 17,262 views
- 10:21 The Psychology of Religion - Steven Pinker (I)by pangeaprogressredux 35,782 views
- 36:41 Antonio Damasio-Brain and mind: from medicine to society. 2/2by UOC 12,070 views
- 10:14 Consciousness, Free Will & the Brainby MisterBusta 25,707 views
- 6:45 How the human brain worksby UniversityOfBristol 576,276 views
- 0:42 Richard Dawkins - Subjective Consciousnessby methinxaweezil 36,426 views
- Loading more suggestions...