GOP bill blocks food stamp users from buying junk food
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 12, 2013
The GOP is proposing legislation that would block food stamp users from using their stamps to purchase junk food.
A 2012 study found that food stamps enable about $2 billion worth of junk food purchases each year, and that more than half of all SNAP benefits are used to buy sugary drinks.
Republican Phil Roe, proposing the bill said: "Already, states like Wisconsin and South Carolina have shown interest in improving the healthfulness of choices in their SNAP programs."
"By giving SNAP recipients more nutritious choices, we can take a meaningful step towards ending hunger in America."
"As a physician, I realize the importance of healthy eating, and as an obstetrician, I've seen how the WIC program helps empower families receiving assistance to use taxpayer dollars to purchase healthy, wholesome foods."
According to TheHill.com, under Roe's bill, food purchased under SNAP would have to meet the same guidelines that food purchased under the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program already have to meet. The WIC guidelines are strict, and are made up of several different standards for products like breakfast cereal, milk, vegetables, peanut butter and other foods.
Breakfast cereal, for example, must contain certain levels of iron, cannot contain more than 21.2 grams of sugar per 100 grams of cereal, and must have whole grain as a primary ingredient in order to be bought under the WIC program.
TomoNews is your daily source for top animated news. We've combined animation and video footage with a snarky personality to bring you the biggest and best stories from around the world.
For news that's fun and never boring, visit our channel:
Subscribe to stay updated on all the top stories:
Stay connected with us here:
Twitter @tomonewsus http://www.twitter.com/TomoNewsUS
Standard YouTube License
- 0:44 Young father put crying baby in freezer to calm herby TomoNews US Featured 12,973
- 1:04 Home Depot in class-action suit for shake down of shopliftersby TomoNews US694 views
- 1:01 Breaking Bad Spoiler! Saul Goodman stars in spinoff showby TomoNews US882 views
- 0:40 McDonald's manager Felix Becerra-Gonzalez in Oakland robs his own restaurantby TomoNews US820 views
- 45:40 U.S. DOLLAR IS DEAD, WHILE FOOD STAMPS, EBT, & SECTION 8 TO CUT OFF FOREVER ON NOV 1 2013.by CourageousNerd z31,513 views
- 15:15 Food Stamps: How to Purchase Nutritious Foods and Remain Healthy While Using Food Stampsby Damien M415 views
- 14:21 Making America Stronger: The U.S. Food Stamp Programby centeronbudget14,815 views
- 4:57 MUST SEE!! EBT/Food Stamps Rantby JeffJefferyJeff35,402 views
- 4:19 Bill to ban Food stamps from buying junk foodby Warcorpse666139 views
- 4:02 24 yr old Million Dollar Lottery Winner on Food Stampsby TheAsianRepublican34,553 views
- 5:27 BUYING JUNK FOOD WITH FOOD STAMPSby Joseph DuPont10,625 views
- 5:54 Boehners Plan B Fail Pushes US Off The Fiscal Cliffby Tomthunkit610 views
- 3:30 Watch How the Republican Food Stamp Cuts Are Affecting Hungry Familiesby Occupy Democrats1,795 views
- 22:35 Inside Out - 2013 farm bill & food stamp programby PressTVvideos62 views
- 3:17 1 in 7 people now on Food Stamps in America ... 3rd World here we come !by LogicWorldNews17,066 views
- 9:43 47 Million Americans are on Food Stamps, our Bread Lines are Invisibleby silver investor.com2,534 views
- 9:19 $40 Billion Food Stamp Cut: GOP Getting Ready To Starve Poor Americansby politicalarticles1,009 views
- 2:11 WHAT Congress ISN'T Telling You About the Farm Billby Maria Souza189 views
- 30:22 Poison on the Platterby The Institute for Responsible Technology11,556 views
- 4:09 Ask Jared #1: SNAP and the Farm Billby Congressman Jared Huffman330 views
- Loading more suggestions...