D Train - You're the one for me
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 2, 2011
Buy on iTunes: http://bit.ly/1fgBgg8
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/unidiscmusic
Like us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/unidisc
The project was a collaborative effort between the band's namesake James "D. Train" Williams, who was featured as the lead vocalist and songwriter, and Hubert Eaves III, a keyboardist and producer who performed the instrumentation on the recordings. Hailing from Brooklyn, New York, Williams himself was a R&B/dance producer as well. He and Eaves met during high school and began performing together. Eaves would spend most of the 1970s as a member of the R&B band Mtume. However, by the 1980s, he and Williams had teamed up again. The group named themselves "D. Train" after a nickname Williams had acquired as a football player in high school.
D. Train released their first single "You're the One For Me" in late 1981. The track became an instant success, hitting #1 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart that year; it has been remixed and re-released successfully several times since, and was contemporaneously covered by Paul Hardcastle with vocalist Kevin Henry in the United Kingdom. The duo's self-titled debut album (which prominently featured the "You're the One For Me" title on the front cover, and the album sometimes became known by this name) followed in early 1982, and several additional singles from this effort were successful on both the R&B and Dance charts, although they were not as popular as the debut hit. Among these tracks were "Keep On," which reached #2 on the Dance chart, and a cover version of the Burt Bacharach/Hal David penned "Walk On By", that owed more to the Isaac Hayes version than to Dionne Warwick's original recording.
In 1983, the band released their follow-up album, Music. The title track became another dance-floor anthem and is the most gospel infused of D-Train's floor fillers. This track nearly equalled the success of the group's debut single. Several other singles from the album were moderately successful.
In 1984, D. Train had their only Billboard Hot 100 entry with "Something's On Your Mind," which climbed to #79 and was later covered by Miles Davis on his album You're Under Arrest. The single also cracked the top five on the R&B chart, becoming the group's biggest hit in that market as well. The accompanying album, also titled Something's On Your Mind, found the band branching out into new musical territory, incorporating elements of reggae and more adult contemporary-oriented R&B into their music. Williams himself played acoustic guitar on a cover of Carole King's "So Far Away".
A Greatest Hits album entitled You're the One for Me- The Very Best of D'Train was issued in several European countries in 1985 . Featured on this compilation was a remixed version of "You're the One for Me," and the tune charted a second time that year. The remixing on this version of the song was done by Paul Hardcastle, who had previously issued a cover version of the song, and by 1985 had become well-known for his own hit "19". Despite this success, the group would disband that same year.
Standard YouTube License
Next in R&B Soul
- 44 videos Play all YouTube Mix - D Train - You're the one for me
- 5:46 Kashif - Lover turn me on ( I just got to have you) 1983by ArchieGe Featured 777,951
- 6:41 D Train - Keep onby UnidiscMusic348,672 views
- 6:22 Skyy - Call Meby UnidiscMusic56,463 views
- 5:06 The Whispers - Rock Steady Official Videoby UnidiscMusic3,096,514 views
- 6:58 D Train - You're The One For Me (12" Extended )by AuntieSoul3429,547 views
- 7:05 D Train - You're The One For Meby TheOldSchoolMusic419,238 views
- 10:47 McFadden & Whitehead Ain't No Stopping Us Now (long Version).wmvby patricia du prée1,101,553 views
- 7:55 Central Line- Walking Into Sunshineby heyroz27846,400 views
- 7:18 Sharon Brown - I Specialize in Loveby Supa Graph405,884 views
- 6:25 Odyssey - Inside Out (Original 12'' Version)by Simon Ambler815,538 views
- 5:31 Howard Johnson - So Fineby BrownPriderFunk2642,607 views
- 5:43 Cameo - Candyby musicluva90s1,733,524 views
- 4:41 Tom Browne - Funkin' For Jamaicaby TheOldSchoolMusic535,666 views
- 9:03 S.O.S. Band- Just Be Good To Meby flybro2134,308,727 views
- 6:11 Change - The Glow Of Love [HQ]by FUNKNATION504,627 views
- 7:25 Unlimited Touch - Searching To Find The Oneby DANCECLASSIC1296,617 views
- 3:47 It's A Love Thing - The Whispersby maumau1968775,312 views
- 6:12 Teena Marie - Behind The Groove (Original 12 Inch Mix)by tmontyb10011204,939 views
- 5:25 Frankie Smith - Double Dutch Busby BrownPriderFunk2848,405 views