Object I [Loops / Ambient / Ebow / Guitar / Generative Music]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 10, 2012
Hear more music by James Ross at: http://soundcloud.com/jrossmusic
Ambient music for looped Ebow electric guitars. Unsynchronized loops create an constantly changing pandiatonic wash from a descending-3rd chord sequence. Simple generative system.
The video is a clip of the Danube River taken in Passau, Germany.
The music in this video is an excerpt of Object I by James Ross. Hear the full piece here: http://soundcloud.com/jrossmusic/obje...
AMBIENT is a music genre which originated in the United Kingdom. Developing in the 1970s, ambient stemmed from the experimental and synthesizer-oriented styles of the period, while being influenced by Kraftwerk and Klaus Schulze; nevertheless, the dance and techno music of the 1980s also played an important role in the genre. Basil Kirchin and Brian Eno are regarded as ambient's main founders. The concept of background or furniture music had already existed some time before, yet both Kirchin and Eno created ambient by fusing elements of environmental music with electronic music. Ambient's sound was additionally influenced in part by space rock and Krautrock.
As a genre, ambient focuses on creating a mood or atmosphere through synthesizers and timbral qualities. It often lacks the presence of any net composition, beat, or structured melody. Due to its relatively open style, ambient music often takes influences from many other genres, ranging from house, dub, industrial and new age, amongst several others. Since it is a relatively ambiguous term, ambient has no distinct characteristics, and its style can vary a lot. In essence, it is a term to describe any form of electronic music which puts an emphasis on tone and atmosphere over songwriting, composition and craftsmanship, hence often lacking musical structure or rhythm. Ambient music is often highly conceptual and experimental in style, while it is said to evoke an "atmospheric", "visual" or "unobtrusive" quality.
Ambient did not achieve large commercial success, being criticized as having a "boring" and "over-intellectual" sound. Nevertheless, it has also attained a certain degree of acclaim throughout the years. It had its first wave of popularity in the 1970s, yet saw a revival towards the late-1980s with the prominence of house and techno music, growing a cult following by the 1990s.
The roots of ambient music go back to the early 20th century. In particular, the period just before and after the First World War gave rise to two significant art movements that encouraged experimentation with various musical (and non musical) forms, while rejecting more conventional, tradition-bound styles of expression. These art movements were called Futurism and Dadaism. Aside from being known for their painters and writers, these movements also attracted experimental and 'anti-music' musicians such as Francesco Balilla Pratella of the pre-war Futurism movement and Kurt Schwitters and Erwin Schulhoff of the post-war Dadaist movement. The latter movement played an influential role in the musical development of Erik Satie.
As an early 20th century French composer, Erik Satie used such Dadaist-inspired explorations to create an early form of ambient / background music that he labeled "furniture music" (Musique d'ameublement). This he described as being the sort of music that could be played during a dinner to create a background atmosphere for that activity, rather than serving as the focus of attention. From this greater historical perspective, Satie is the link between these early Art movements and the work of Brian Eno, who as an art school trained musician, had an appreciation of both the music and art worlds.
Brian Eno is generally credited with coining the term "Ambient Music" in the mid-1970s to refer to music that, as he stated, can be either "actively listened to with attention or as easily ignored, depending on the choice of the listener", and that exists on the "cusp between melody and texture". ... Eno used the word "ambient" to describe music that creates an atmosphere that puts the listener into a different state of mind; having chosen the word based on the Latin term "ambire", "to surround".
The album notes accompanying Eno's 1978 release Ambient 1: Music for Airports include a manifesto describing the philosophy behind his ambient music: "Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting."
Eno has acknowledged the influence of Erik Satie and John Cage. In particular, Eno was aware of Cage's use of chance such as throwing the I Ching to directly affect the creation of a musical composition. Eno then utilised a similar method of weaving randomness into his compositional structures. ...
Eno also acknowledged influences of the drone music of La Monte Young (of whom he said, "La Monte Young is the daddy of us all"
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_...
Standard YouTube License
- 15:31 Prog Review 143 - Lux - Brian Enoby Darren Lock Featured 3,907
- 2:00:01 Ambient Fireplace with Jazz & Classical Christmas Music Favorites (2 hrs)by tonyclem350,244 views
- 36:12 Relaxing Music - house, progressive, uplifting, dubstep ambient, experimental, electronic, ambient,by Relaxing Music Mix163 views
- 43:59 Bart Stull - San Diego Experimental Guitar Show - SDXG13by Xavier Vasquez216 views
- 2:14:58 Deep Space Ambient Mixby Ankti Muzika44,641 views
- 5:36 Girl-With-Amazing-Voice-and-Looping-Machineby cecy chackson102,475 views
- 1:03:36 Deeply Relaxing, Slow Guitar, Ambient Music, Calm Cinnamon.by OnlineMeditation1,074 views
- 5:58:14 6-Hour | EvE Online Ambient Musicby Viktor Sebők166,686 views
- 31:51 Anugama - Chakra-Journey- (Shamanic Dream) Ambient Meditative Trance .by SuperKrsna307,997 views
- 11:14 Darren Sangita (Noodreem) - Ambient Lounge Fusion (Live)by Darren Sangita363 views
- 1:02:40 Most Beautiful Ambient Lounge Music 2013by Keep It Underground1,800,397 views
- 7:23 Guitar Lessons - Jamtracks - Creating Your Own Loops - Marty Schwartz - Guitar Jamzby guitarjamzdotcom68,616 views
- 1:13:17 Wonderful Relaxing Music For Meditation ( Chill-out Lounge Ambient Mix )by Keep It Underground1,010,956 views
- 2:22 Using distortion/fuzz in ambient musicby Evan Chandler293 views
- 5:16 Flock [Guitar / Live Looping / Ambient Music]by James Ross259 views
- 3:44 Wave [Guitar / Live Looping / Ambient Music]by James Ross567 views
- 5:19 Relaxing Soulful Ambient Guitar !! (Aaron Metallion- Tranquillium) ! HQby AaronMetallion1,035 views
- 4:09 FOOTPRINTS On The MOON Ambient Surf Jazz Ballad Dark House Ocean Dream Guitar Nature Beautyby roger brainard1,121 views
- 4:57 Ambient Song 5 [Ebow Plus, Loops, Swells]by BegovicMirza5,999 views
- 3:47 Object II [Loops / Ambient / Ebow / Guitar / Generative Music]by James Ross297 views
- Loading more suggestions...