Why is Obama so Popular in Europe? - Frank Esser
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 25, 2008
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2008/09/04/How_Does_Ne...
Frank Esser, Media Research Professor at the University of Zurich, explains why Barack Obama enjoys high popularity ratings throughout Europe, and why Europeans in general express such a high level of interest in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election.
Join swissnex and our esteemed panel to discuss the media/politics nexus inside election campaigns.
During the course of the evening we will gain a better understanding of the interplay between systems of political mass communications, party competition and election polemics by exploring the relationship between media and politics - Swissnex
Frank Esser is Professor and Chair of International & Comparative Media Research in the Department of Mass Communication and Media Research at the University of Zurich. He was assistant professor of mass communication at the University of Mainz and the University of Missouri-Columbia, and visiting professor at the University of Oklahoma. His research focuses on cross-national studies of news journalism and political communication. He has published five books including Comparing Political Communication: Theories, Cases, and Challenges and sixty book chapters and journal articles. Esser is on the editorial boards of Journalism and The International Journal of Press/Politics, and serves as Vice Chair of the Journalism Division of the International Communication Association (ICA).
In Zurich he is co-director of the NCCR Democracy, a National Center of Competence in Research funded by the Swiss Science Foundation, to study the impact of globalization and mediatization on Western democracies. A current project compares election campaign coverage in nine countries (U.S., Mexico, Spain, Italy, Britain, France, Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland) and aims at identifying the underlying differences between political news cultures. Another project investigates the degree of media-centeredness of election campaigns in various countries.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:02 Palin and Obama, A Clash of Civilizations - Bernard-Henri Lévyby ForaTv11,186 views
- 8:43 Barack Obama and the American Global Image - Shashi Tharoorby ForaTv33,972 views
- 3:55 Libertarian David Boaz on Obama and McCainby ForaTv7,291 views
- 7:33 Obama and the Reverend Wright Fallout - Michael Eric Dysonby ForaTv21,547 views
- 5:58 Bill O'Reilly Asks: Why Is Obama Popular In Europe?by iwanttomarrycarrie3,455 views
- 4:55 'Obamamania' Sweeps Europe - CBN.comby The Christian Broadcasting Network3,785 views
- 4:38 Obama wins - world reactsby redarrowguy319,807 views
- 4:12 Shashi Tharoor: The West's Biggest Misconceptions About Indiaby Big Think19,059 views
- 26:19 Barack Obama Speech from Berlin, Germanyby tpmtv511,939 views
- 5:12 Obama Rips Romney in Final Debate - The Best Linesby The Young Turks206,780 views
- 6:02 Newt: What Obama Discovered In Europe Is 'Nice Doesn't Get You Anything'by Greg Hengler5,360 views
- 1:43 US elections: reactions in Europeby No Comment TV52,777 views
- 1:48 When will Europe have its first black leader?by AFP news agency3,420 views
- 1:04 Obama fans celebrate victory in Europeby AFP news agency8,401 views
- 7:27 Barroso: "Europe expects a lot from Barack Obama."by euronews (in English)2,808 views
- 1:17 Obama Tells Europe US Arrogantby Jim Vicevich4,854 views
- 8:07 How relevant has this US election been for watchers in Europe?by euronews (in English)1,600 views
- 5:05 Europe's Minorities See Obama's Election As Exampleby VOAvideo2,958 views
- 2:55 Europe awaits no miracle from Obamaby RT3,222 views
- 6:41 THE NEWSHOUR WITH JIM LEHRER | Close Up: Barack Obama and Leadership Pt.1 | PBSby PBS9,397 views
- Loading more suggestions...