Daniel Goleman Suggests Ways to Boost Emotional Intelligence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 23, 2012
Daniel Goleman on playing well with others
Question: How can we improve our emotional intelligence?
Daniel Goleman: Well, the biggest tip-off is do you find yourself repeating the same interpersonal disaster. I keep going out with guys who do X and it ends horribly or, you know, I don't know... I'm really good at what I do but I seem to get fired all the time, or whatever perplex there may be. That's a clue, for sure. So, you know, any pattern of problems in the domain of human relationships is a good tip-off.
Question: What can parents do?
Daniel Goleman: Well, parents should realize their child's main and first coach in this domain. But you don't have to make a big deal of it, you just have to be a good enough parent. You have to attune. You have to empathize. You have to be concern. You have to spend time. Kids learn an enormous amount in this domain non-verbally. They learn it by modeling. There's a set of neurons, actually, that are designed for this. They're called mirror neurons. And mirror neurons activate in your own brain what you see in other person do and tend to feel. And it appears that a huge amount of learning in... particularly in early childhood comes from a child just watching how the adults and the other kids in the environment are behaving. And they take that and they model that. So it... You don't have... You know, just being a good human being helps a lot to raise your child to be a good human being. And there are guides, there are books on how to raise an emotional intelligent child and so on. And if you want to, you know, get into the specifics you can, it's out there. But you don't really need to worry about it if you care and if you give your child time.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:00:01 Daniel Goleman - Emotional Intelligence - Audiobook Fullby SelfHelpAudiobooks Featured 2,512
- 5:32 Daniel Goleman Introduces Emotional Intelligenceby Big Think53,445 views
- 2:55 The Importance of EQ over IQby Big Think7,252 views
- 5:38 The Amygdala in 5 Minutesby Big Think37,625 views
- 3:24 Are You Dating a Psychopath?by Big Think256,672 views
- 1:18:18 Daniel Goleman on Focus: The Secret to High Performance and Fulfilmentby iqsquared6,355 views
- 1:28:30 How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmnessby University of California Television (UCTV)608,431 views
- 26:37 Daniel Goleman Explains Emotional Intelligenceby AllanGregg184,580 views
- 1:10:36 Daniel Goleman - Working with Emotional Intelligence (Audio Ep1)by pbhs9233,935 views
- 13:14 Daniel Goleman: Why arent we all Good Samaritans?by TED100,570 views
- 11:59 Understanding Emotional Intelligence: The Amygdala Hijackby DiversitySolutions134,519 views
- 16:27 The Future of Mindfulness - Daniel Goleman, PhDby onsiterecording2,055 views
- 5:10 Daniel Goleman on why leaders need to connect on an emotional level - speaking to LeadersIn Businessby leadersin6,823 views
- 4:36 Daniel Goleman - Meditation as attentional retraining , part 1.movby WhatMeditation ReallyIs2,156 views
- 3:53 Emotional Intelligenceby MoreThanSoundnet59,645 views
- 1:30 Amanda Gore | Emotional Intelligence and Leadership - with Visual Funk and gWizzby Amanda Gore TV8,390 views
- 10:13 Here is the BEST EQ TEST with SOLUTION (test emotional intelligence)by maxAwareness1,840 views
- 14:50 Alvin Toffler On How Tomorrow's Wealth Will Be Createdby AllanGregg10,499 views
- 51:38 Neuroscience and the Psychopath Inside with James Fallonby TheLipTV2,619 views
- 2:35 Daniel Goleman on how to improve your EI - speaking to LeadersIn Businessby leadersin2,901 views
- Loading more suggestions...