Ed Gerjuoy, "Recollections of Oppenheimer and Schwinger"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 11, 2011
Recollections of Oppenheimer and Schwinger, a talk given by Prof. Edward Gerjuoy, (University of Pittsburgh) at the Institute for Theoretical, Atomic and Molecular and Optical Physics, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge Massachusetts, November 3, 2009
The career of J. Robert Oppenheimer, who was born on April 22, 1904, was celebrated in a June, 2004 Los Alamos Symposium, wherein I recalled my experiences as a Ph.D. student of Oppenheimer's in Berkeley, California during the period August 1938 to January 1942. I shall recount some of these recollections, concentrating on conveying a portrait of Oppenheimer as creator and inspiration of probably the most important pre-war United States school of theoretical physics. During a portion of this period (the 1940 academic year) Julian Schwinger, who shared the 1965 Nobel Prize for the development of the modern formulation of quantum electrodynamics and deservedly has been termed a genius, was employed as what today would be termed Oppenheimer's post doc. Therefore, especially because Schwinger now seems almost forgotten, although he died only fifteen years ago (on July 16, 1994), I also will recall some of Schwinger's interactions with Oppenheimer and Oppenheimer's students including myself, in an attempt to convey some comprehension of Schwinger's astonishing theoretical physics talents.
© Harvard University and Edward Gerjuoy. The text and images on ITAMP's YouTube channel are intended for public access and educational use. This material is owned or held by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. It is being provided solely for the purpose of teaching or individual research or enrichment. Any other use, including commercial reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires permission.
ITAMP is supported through grants by the National Science Foundation Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s).
Standard YouTube License
- 1:27:56 Oppenheimer's Shadowby UCTV, University of California TelevisionFeatured 6,783
- 1:19:01 Spooky Actions At A Distance?: Oppenheimer Lectureby UCBerkeleyEvents 30,461 views
- 9:34 Richard Feynman Electricityby Bright 68,286 views
- 1:35:36 OPPENHEIMER LECTURE: The Higgs Particle: Pivot Of Symmetry And Massby UC Berkeley Events 16,779 views
- 1:17:58 Richard Feynman on Quantum Mechanics Part 1 - Photons Corpuscles of Light.FLVby Narayan Behera 250,132 views
- 67 videos Play all Physics Richard Feynmanby Hythloday71
- 5:22 Richard Feynman Numbers Part 1 of 2by Bright 49,061 views
- 1:04 Scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer speaks about atomic bombs at the Capitol Building in Washington, DCby Felonious Vendetta 7,476 views
- 1:20:01 The J. Robert Oppenheimer Lecture - Frank Wilczekby UCBerkeleyEvents 17,696 views
- 0:44 Richard Feynman on The Feeling of Confusionby Phobosuchus1 1,999 views
- 16:02 Murray Gell-Mann: Beauty and truth in physicsby TEDTalks 115,733 views
- 2:49 MIT or suicide - Murray Gell-Mannby webofstories 14,432 views
- 57:57 The Wonders of Physics #17by Clint Sprott 269 views
- 1:58 R. P. Feynman on the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.by x1x2x3ct 135,820 views
- 1:20:01 Lecture 01-Jack Simons Electronic Structure Theory- Born-Oppenheimer approximationby ESTLecture2009 9,913 views
- 1:50:41 Einstein's General Theory of Relativity | Lecture 3by Stanford University 147,316 views
- 19:51 Alamogordo to Cloudcroft 20121125by 94gtvert 894 views
- 10:00 Part 1 - An Experiment to save the world - BBC Horizonby CooCurrent 8,570 views
- 1:55:56 Lecture 9 | String Theory and M-Theoryby Stanford University 16,262 views
- 6:09 Albert Einstein chess game: Albert Einstein vs Robert Oppenheimerby MatoJelic 29,459 views
- 58:21 Science and the Soul: J. Robert Oppenheimer / Doctor Atomicby UCtelevision 10,163 views
- Loading more suggestions...