6/10 FULL "Free to Choose" - Volume 6 What's Wrong with our Schools - Milton Friedman (1980)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 29, 2012
"Free To Choose Volume 6 - What's Wrong with our Schools"
Parental choice and parental responsibility in the education of children is the U.S. tradition and is consistent with a free society. Centralized government control has eroded freedom and adversely affected the quality of education. The poor help pay for education for the future rich. Friedman has long advocated using vouchers to solve the problem. He explains why. Friedman visits U.S. and Britain.
Milton Friedman (July 31, 1912 -- November 16, 2006) was an American economist, statistician, and author who taught at the University of Chicago for more than three decades. He was a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, and is known for his research on consumption analysis, monetary history and theory, and the complexity of stabilization policy. As a leader of the Chicago school of economics, he influenced the research agenda of the economics profession. A survey of economists ranked Friedman as the second most popular economist of the twentieth century behind John Maynard Keynes, and The Economist described him as "the most influential economist of the second half of the 20th century...possibly of all of it."
"The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit."
"Nobody spends somebody else's money as carefully as he spends his own. Nobody uses somebody else's resources as carefully as he uses his own. So if you want efficiency and effectiveness, if you want knowledge to be properly utilized, you have to do it through the means of private property."
"Governments never learn. Only people learn."
"So the question is, do corporate executives, provided they stay within the law, have responsibilities in their business activities other than to make as much money for their stockholders as possible? And my answer to that is, no they do not"
"The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom."
"Most economic fallacies derive - from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another."
"Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself."
"What kind of society isn't structured on greed? The problem of social organization is how to set up an arrangement under which greed will do the least harm; capitalism is that kind of a system"
"History suggests that capitalism is a necessary condition for political freedom. Clearly it is not a sufficient condition."
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither. The society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."
Standard YouTube License
- 5:01 Detroit's Ghetto: The worst Ghetto in the USA! Facts and a tour of Dying Detroitby iJaredTV News ➟Featured 468,739
- 57:55 7/10 FULL "Free to Choose" - Volume 7 Who Protects the Consumer? - Milton Friedman (1980)by killerseps 276 views
- 57:47 8/10 FULL "Free to Choose" - Volume 8 Who Protects the Worker? - Milton Friedman (1980)by killerseps 292 views
- 57:47 1/10 FULL "Free to Choose" - Volume 1 The Power of the Market - Milton Friedman (1980)by killerseps 446 views
- 57:51 5/10 FULL "Free to Choose" - Volume 5 Created Equal - Milton Friedman (1980)by killerseps 218 views
- 142 videos Play all Milton Friedmanby FletchforFreedom
- 57:41 2/10 FULL "Free to Choose" - Volume 2 The Tyranny of Control - Milton Friedman (1980)by killerseps 296 views
- 1:00:05 Milton Friedman - The role of government in a free societyby BasicEconomics 11,639 views
- 57:46 Free to Choose Part 3: Anatomy of a Crisis (Featuring Milton Friedman)by Common Sense Capitalism 54,270 views
- 32:47 Milton Friedman - Power of Choice - Biography (Part 1)by BasicEconomics 1,970 views
- 2:18 Milton Friedman: Doing Good With Someone Else's Moneyby Common Sense Capitalism 581 views
- 57:51 Milton Friedman PBS Free to Choose 1980 Vol 9 of 10 How to Cure Inflationby Jeremy Arendt 5,881 views
- 2:02:10 Milton Friedman - Congressional House Economic Task Force (1993)by BasicEconomics 6,654 views
- 51:34 Milton Friedman - Is tax reform possible?by BasicEconomics 2,444 views
- 45:17 "Milton Friedman Speaks" - Is Capitalism Humane?by FreeToChooseNetwork 11,110 views
- 15:00 Milton Friedman Interview Drug Policy in America 1/2by BasicEconomics 1,389 views
- 39:53 The Free-Market Case for Greenby HooverInstitution 8,839 views
- 12:00 Alexanders Greatest Battle 1 of 4by popperslist 7,791 views
- 57:52 Milton Friedman PBS Free to Choose 1980 Vol 1 of 10 Power of the Marketby Jeremy Arendt 32,565 views
- 56:10 The Age of Uncertainty Episode 6 The Rise and Fall of Moneyby sveinbjornt 3,715 views
- 43:02 Milton Friedman on Libertarianism and Humilityby LibertarianismDotOrg 25,957 views
- Loading more suggestions...