McConnell Takes On Reid Over The Filibuster
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 7, 2012
In an exchange on the Senate floor from July 2012, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell explains why the problems in the Senate have to do with Democrats, not with the filibuster rules.
REID: "[H]ow do we get on a bill, a motion to proceed to something. That has taken over the senate and it needs to go away. We shouldn't have to do that anymore."
REID: "The rules have to changed, I acknowledge that and don't apologize it for one second."
McCONNELL: "He has a unique role in this institution. He has the opportunity to set the agenda. And just because all one hundred senators don't immediately fall into line and it may be a little bit difficult to go forward is no excuse for not doing the important and basic work that the American people sent us here to do."
McCONNELL: "[Q]uit blaming everybody else! It's not the House. It's not the Senate. It's not the motion to proceed. Why don't we operate like we used to under leaders of both parties, and understood that amendments we don't like are just part of the process, because everybody here doesn't agree on everything.
McCONNELL: "The core problem here is my good friend, the Majority Leader, as a practical matter is running the whole Senate because everything is centralized in his office which diminishes the opportunity for senators of both parties to represent their constituents. Look, we all were sent here by different Americans who expected us to have a voice, to have an opportunity, to effect legislation. I would say to my good friend, the Majority Leader, we don't have a rules problem, we have an attitude problem. When is the Senate going to get back to normal? I can recall my friends on the other side saying repeatedly the difference between the House and Senate is you get to vote."
Standard YouTube License
- 11:45 Jon Stewart on Ted Cruz marathon speechby Wacky Racer21,612 views
- 7:50 Michelle Malkin VS James Carville: 'Notorious Witch-Hunter' Bill Clinton, Calling Benghazi 'Nothing'by MichaelSavage4Prez2,010 views
- 6:47 Republican Senator Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill!!by politicalarticles4,900 views
- 6:22 GOP Sen McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill And Makes Senate Historyby Tomthunkit1,322 views
- 4:27 When Republicans Think The Camera Is Off...by Secular Talk3,951 views
- 15:03 TED CRUZ SENATE FILIBUSTER LAST 15 MINUTESby THECOUNT.COM549 views
- 17:47 Senator Ted Cruz smacks down Chuck Schumer on gun violence - Meet the Press meets the factsby Freedom Tracker163,224 views
- 14:24 The ED Show - Obama insists the wealthy must pay moreby Licentiathe8th1,956 views
- 11:41 "Bun in the Oven" featuring Nicole Stewartby Oral Fixation (An Obsession with True Life Tales)620 views
- 15:01 Rachel Maddow - GOP slow to come to grips with lessons of lossby Licentiathe8th24,288 views
- 6:19 The Juxtaposition of Mitch McConnell & F.W. de Klerkby CRUClEFICTION852 views
- 19:58 Rachel Maddow - McConnell on front lines of GOP civil warby Licentiathe8th1,757 views
- 8:40 Jon Stewart Applauds Rand Paul for Filibuster: 'Worth Kicking Up A Fuss For' ~ 3/6/2013by RapsAlive160,546 views
- 8:35 Martin Bashir - Obama ready to deal -- but what about Boehner?by Licentiathe8th2,300 views
- 10:08 Health Care Reform Anthony Weiner on Hardballby robb10311,458 views
- 10:09 Rand Paul Syria Hearing. Rand Paul CHALLENGES John Kerry In HEATED Exchange.by YOUTUBE NEWS41,065 views
- 12:39 Tea Party IRS Investigations Not Politically Motivated? 'How Stupid Do They Think We Are'by ABC News12,028 views
- 40:33 Rand Paul "What Detroit Needs To Thrive Is Freedom From Big Government's Mastery!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M1,614 views
- 4:59 Senator Mitch McConnell Explains Why He Will Vote AGAINST Gun Control Billby Les Grossman2,901 views
- 24:03 Ted Cruz FULL Appearance on Crossfire - Clashes with Van Jones - October 10, 2013by DrudgeReportFanatics55,770 views
- Loading more suggestions...