When Emma Thompson Pretended To Be Jane Austen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 19, 2012
Emma Thompson's win for Best Screenplay at the Golden Globes (1995).
Instead of speaking as herself, she read a speech from the point of view of Jane Austen, and what Jane might have thought if she'd attended.
This is one of my favourite things.
Full speech is as follows (with my sincere thanks to futurefighter2008 for transcribing it):
Thank you very much. Good Heavens. Um, I can't thank you enough, Hollywood Foreign Press, for honouring me in this capacity. I don't wish to burden you with my debts, which are heavy and numerous but, um, I think that everybody involved in the making of this film knows that we owe all our pride and all our joy to the genius of Jane Austen. And, um, it occurred to me to wonder how she would react to an evening like this... This is what I came up with.
Four a.m., having just returned from an evening at the Golden Spheres, which despite the inconveniences of heat, noise and overcrowding was not without its pleasures. Thankfully, there were no dogs and no children. The gowns were middling. There was a good deal of shouting and behaviour verging on the profligate, however, people were very free with their compliments and I made several new acquaintances.
Here was Lindsay Doran of Mirage, wherever that might be, who's largely responsible for my presence here, an enchanting companion about whom too much good cannot be said. Mr. Ang Lee, of foreign extraction, who most unexpectedly appeared to understand me better than I understand myself. Mr. James Shamis, a most copiously erudite person and Miss Kate Winslet, beautiful in both countenance and spirit.
Mr. Pat Doyle, a composer and a Scot, who displayed the kind of wild behaviour one has learned to expect from that race. Mr. Mark Kenton, an energetic person with a ready smile who, as I understand it, owes me a great deal of money. [Breaks character, smiles] TRUE!! [back in character] Miss Lisa Henson of Columbia, a lovely girl and Mr. Garrett Wiggin, a lovely boy.
I attempted to converse with Mr. Sydney Pollack, but his charms and wisdom are so generally pleasing, that it proved impossible to get within ten feet of him. The room was full of interesting activity until 11 p.m. when it emptied rather suddenly. The lateness of the hour is due, therefore, not to the dance, but to the waiting in a long line for a horseless carriage of unconscionable size. The modern world has clearly done nothing for transport.
P.S. Managed to avoid the hoyden Emily Thompkinson, who has purloined my creation and added things of her own. Nefarious Creature! Thank you.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:48 Jane Austen's Quotationsby glorybseeFeatured 35,476
- 2:56:54 Lost in Austen (Full Mini-Series)by JJAngel3378 257,323 views
- 2:16:09 Sense & Sensibility 1995 (Complete film)by MrsVicka 752,146 views
- 4:38 Ten reasons to adore Emma Thompsonby AmidTheFallingSnow 98,796 views
- 4:19 Hilarious QI Moment - Emma Thompson's Scriptby morthasa 52,816 views
- 6:44 The Hobbits - Dwarves - First Lookby newchanteuse 4,355 views
- 6:10 Emma 2009 - Proposalby Maria Grazia 630,709 views
- 3:26 Sacha Baron Cohen Acceptance Speech At Golden Globesby CreaturesOfTheDay 507,276 views
- 12:56 Craig Ferguson 8/12/10C Late Late Show Emma Thompsonby TVsCraigFerguson 91,013 views
- 5:35 Fry and Laurie and Thompson - Proposalby lucylibbsu 120,313 views
- 11:42 Persuasion Jane Austen Part 1 of 8by tudor1603 231,412 views
- 9:31 Ghosts, Jane Austen ~ Chawton Houseby GhostWatching 59,620 views
- 81 videos Play all emma thompsonby xu3u6g0
- 2:57 Emma Thompson winning for Writingby Oscars 55,387 views
- 13:47 Emma Thompson @ Jay Leno 2010by laughtersandtears 36,958 views
- 3:51 Pride and Prejudice: The Lake Scene (Colin Firth Strips Off)by BBCWorldwide 2,978,197 views
- 8:46 Emma Thompson @ Ellen 2006 01 26by laughtersandtears 19,362 views
- 2:59 Maggie Gyllenhaal and Emma Thompson Interviewby GoodHousekeepingMag 17,293 views
- 1:25:09 Miss Austen Regrets | Sub. ITAby MsEliflora 206,976 views
- Emma Thompson 1,331 videos11
- 0:52 Luvvies: QI Stephen Fry and Emma Thompsonby Matilda September 188,267 views
- 4:09 Hallelujah - Melancholia in Jane Austen storiesby katinkagirlie 61,122 views
- Loading more suggestions...