Published on May 28, 2013
I am a bit of a sucker for bluetooth speakers. My wife teases me because over the last 6 months or so I have reviewed about a dozen. It may be somewhat surprising but I am noticing an gradual improvement in overall sound quality and overall performance even in this short amount - each new speaker seems to be a little bit better than the ones that I tested the previous month. The HMDX Jam Plus certainly fits that mold - as a stand alone speaker it has solid performance (especially for its size) but once it is paired to a second HMX Jam Plus - it really begins to shine.
- As mentioned, two HMDX Jam Plus speakers can be paired for true stereo sound. The pairing process is super easy - set one speaker to left, one to right and hold each power button for 5 seconds (while it is off) - once you hear the drum you know that they are paired.
- As both a pair and as a solo speaker the sound volume is impressive - not quite to the Supertooth level, but at this price point I am shocked at the overall volume. At this price point you can buy two HMDX Jam Plus for the price of a moderately priced bluetooth speaker.... the HMDX sounds better than many of these middle-of-road bluetooth speakers (not to be confused with the high-end stereo bluetooth speakers NuForce S3-BT - which are elite).
- The sound quality is better than average - as you would expect for a speaker of this size the bass response is a bit shallow. As a whole the speaker lacks depth and crispness, but when you a second speaker this is largely negated. Again.... at this pricepoint it will be hard to do better.
- Need to be used in isolation of other bluetooth devices or you will get interference in the speakers causing them to sound full of static and muffled. This is not a issue isolated to the HMDX Jam Plus since I have the same problem with the SuperTooth Disco Twin
- The biggest negative is that speaker is prone to scratches - this compounded by the fact they a carrying case is not included. The speaker is small, but if you throw it into your backpack the speaker will get scratched.
- Small - roughly half the size of a can of soda/bear
- Rechargeable batteries - battery life is rated at 4 hours, but expect less when played at higher volumes
Final Verdict - The HMDX Jam Plus is nearly the perfect inexpensive bluetooth speaker. It offers plenty of volume, better than average sound, can be paired wireless - I just wish that it didn't scratch so easily. Even with that - I still recommend it to anyone who is looking for small stereo bluetooth speakers.
Please note - I received this speaker for reviewing purposes