How to Train Your Dog with Hand Signals
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 1, 2011
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Dog Training 101 videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/472-Dog...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Dogs watch us to learn what we want, so our stance and body language communicate our will. Train your dog with hand signals to be sure you understand one another.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Train with hand and verbal at first
Combine hand signals with verbal directions at first. Use only a one-word command when training your dog. To have the dog sit, for instance, don't be inconsistent and confuse the dog with the words "sit down"
Step 2: Teach sit
Slip a hand under the dog's collar and tease them with a treat until they sit; after which, say "sit" and reward the pooch. Stand up, waving one open hand past the dog's face toward your chest, palm up, as you say it again. Quit talking once the motion is recognized.
Since dogs are more responsive to signals, they will be easier to train if you limit verbal directions to simplify things.
Step 3: Tell them to stay
Condition the dog to stay, one of the hardest commands, pulling each time you command with a leash. Return the dog to the same spot when they disobey. Once you have cooperation, hold your palm toward their nose, as if you're a policeman telling someone to stop.
Step 4: Practice "Stay"
Back away while holding the hand toward the dog, to test. After getting seconds of compliance, drop the hand and give the praise, 'good dog!' They respond to praise, so continue the same cycle until the dog will stay put on a hand signal alone.
Step 5: Instruct "Come"
Order the dog to "come" holding a hand out like a handshake, bending your elbow to pass the hand across your chest, and the dog's face, and slowly touching your opposite shoulder. Reinforce with positive tones, finally just using the signal.
Step 6: Make them lay
Make the dog lay down by first using the leash to lower the dog whenever you say "down," perhaps using a treat as a lure. Repeat, replacing the word with a hand motion, laying the palm down on the floor in front of the dog's eyes.
Step 7: Start higher
Emphasize, in cases where the dog may not be picking up the signal, that you want the dog down by starting with your hand higher. Drop it abruptly at a 30-degree angle from your body. The dog will respond quickly.
The palm down should be used exclusively for the "down" signal, instead of for the "sit" command, to avoid confusing a dog.
Step 8: Train with repetition
Continue to practice all of the commands, using hand signals when walking, before feedings, or when letting the dog in from relieving themselves. This is not about control but canine communication and building habits.
Did You Know?
Some 300 Labradors, golden retrievers, and Newfoundlands trained by the Italian School for Rescue Dogs were credited with saving more than 100 lives on Italy's beaches, including a dozen halfway into 2010.
Standard YouTube License
- 45:58 How to Raise the Perfect Dogby NatGeoWild Featured 886,160
- 1:47 How to Make a Dissolving Bikini as a Prankby Howcast7,101,480 views
- 2:08 How to Talk to Your Dogby Howcast63,113 views
- 2:41 How to Paper-Train Your Dogby Howcast19,334 views
- 1:35 How to Potty Train a Puppyby Howcast81,317 views
- 16:33 Tactical Hand Signals Part 1by Jim Wagner273,390 views
- 7:54 Dog training-Teaching a puppy to come and walk on lead www.sidneyaarons.com.auby Sidney Aarons149,982 views
- 7:16 Teach Dog to Stop Barking - Treatpouch.comby Treatpouch.com533,748 views
- 44 videos Play all Animal stuffby EeyoreZabeth
- 1:15 Dr. Ian Dunbar train your dog to speak or bark on commandby Pet Food Express10,492 views
- 13:14 Train your dog - Stop Pulling On Leashby b1gdogk911446,690 views
- 5:36 How to teach your dog to STOP pulling! (part 1)by Training Positive747,020 views
- 7:29 How To Teach Any Dog PERFECT Obedience! (Sit,Down,Stand)by Training Positive290,023 views
- 2:50 Hand Signals For Dog Trainingby thedogtraining10,062 views
- 2:25 How to get your dog to "COME" every time with the Miami Dog Whispererby Richard Heinz135,455 views
- 6:30 How To Quickly Stop Dog Barkingby Andrew Jones140,663 views
- 3:19 How To Potty Train a Puppy - How to House Train Your Dogby Howdini623,828 views
- 2:50 How to Buy Your First Homeby Howcast11,072 views
- 2:04 How to Housebreak a Puppyby Howcast42,776 views
- 3:11 Pit Bull Trainingby Dave Skoletsky5,605 views