How to Train Your Dog with Hand Signals
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 1, 2011
Watch more Dog Training 101 videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/472-Dog...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://howc.st/uLaHRS
Train your dog with hand signals using these hints and help the puppy understand.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://howc.st/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Health Channel - http://howc.st/HOE3aY
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://howc.st/tYKKrk
Howcast Tech Channel - http://howc.st/rx9FwR
Howcast Food Channel - http://howc.st/umBoJX
Howcast Arts & Recreation Channel - http://howc.st/vmB86i
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://howc.st/vKjUjm
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://howc.st/vbbNt3
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Train with hand and verbal at first
Combine hand signals with verbal directions at first. Use only a one-word command when training your dog. To have the dog sit, for instance, don't be inconsistent and confuse the dog with the words "sit down"
Step 2: Teach sit
Slip a hand under the dog's collar and tease them with a treat until they sit; after which, say "sit" and reward the pooch. Stand up, waving one open hand past the dog's face toward your chest, palm up, as you say it again. Quit talking once the motion is recognized.
Since dogs are more responsive to signals, they will be easier to train if you limit verbal directions to simplify things.
Step 3: Tell them to stay
Condition the dog to stay, one of the hardest commands, pulling each time you command with a leash. Return the dog to the same spot when they disobey. Once you have cooperation, hold your palm toward their nose, as if you're a policeman telling someone to stop.
Step 4: Practice “Stay”
Back away while holding the hand toward the dog, to test. After getting seconds of compliance, drop the hand and give the praise, “good dog!” They respond to praise, so continue the same cycle until the dog will stay put on a hand signal alone.
Step 5: Instruct “Come”
Order the dog to "come" holding a hand out like a handshake, bending your elbow to pass the hand across your chest, and the dog's face, and slowly touching your opposite shoulder. Reinforce with positive tones, finally just using the signal.
Step 6: Make them lay
Make the dog lay down by first using the leash to lower the dog whenever you say "down," perhaps using a treat as a lure. Repeat, replacing the word with a hand motion, laying the palm down on the floor in front of the dog's eyes.
Step 7: Start higher
Emphasize, in cases where the dog may not be picking up the signal, that you want the dog down by starting with your hand higher. Drop it abruptly at a 30-degree angle from your body. The dog will respond quickly.
The palm down should be used exclusively for the "down" signal, instead of for the "sit" command, to avoid confusing a dog.
Step 8: Train with repetition
Continue to practice all of the commands, using hand signals when walking, before feedings, or when letting the dog in from relieving themselves. This is not about control but canine communication and building habits.
Did You Know?
Some 300 Labradors, golden retrievers, and Newfoundlands trained by the Italian School for Rescue Dogs were credited with saving more than 100 lives on Italy's beaches, including a dozen halfway into 2010.
Standard YouTube License
- 16:33 Tactical Hand Signals Part 1by Jim WagnerFeatured 195,698
- 3:27 Dog Training: How to Teach Your Dog to Comeby Howcast 15,432 views
- 2:41 How To Paper-Train Your Dogby Howcast 15,274 views
- 2:14 How to Prepare Your Dog for Guard-Dog Trainingby Howcast 42,895 views
- 2:08 How To Talk To Your Dogby Howcast 53,142 views
- 4:51 Dog training-Hand signals www.sidneyaarons.com.auby Sidney Aarons 5,415 views
- 1:47 How to Make a Dissolving Bikini as a Prankby Howcast 5,351,896 views
- 2:09 How to Avoid Cat Bitesby Howcast 83,992 views
- 76 videos Play all K9 Trainingby AREQUENCE
- 1:15 Dr. Ian Dunbar train your dog to speak or bark on commandby PetFoodExpress 8,253 views
- 2:23 How to Remember What You Readby Howcast 527,628 views
- 2:50 Hand Signals For Dog Trainingby thedogtraining 9,427 views
- 1:35 How To Potty Train a Puppyby Howcast 70,922 views
- 2:25 How to get your dog to "COME" every time with the Miami Dog Whispererby Richard Heinz 110,347 views
- 3:41 How to Train a Dog to Fetchby Howcast 58,053 views
- 2:17 How to Live Undergroundby Howcast 301,172 views
- 2:54 Dog Training - Teaching a Pitbull hand signalsby Fred Hassen 45,830 views
- 2:04 How To Housebreak a Puppyby Howcast 36,943 views
- 2:50 How to Buy Your First Homeby Howcast 10,418 views
- 1:21 How to Teach Your Dog to Jumpby Howcast 36,113 views
- 1:38 How to Deal With an Aggressive Dogby Howcast 267,167 views
- Loading more suggestions...