Ripley's Believe It or Not! Man Swallows SAW and 15 SWORDS AT ONCE!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 16, 2010
http://CuttingEdgeInnertainment.com Watch Sword Swallower Dan Meyer swallow 15 SWORDS AT ONCE and a giant 100-year-old SAW - featured as a RIPLEY's BELIEVE IT OR NOT cartoon! Sword Swallower Dan Meyer finishes a lecture at the Bruce Museum on the "History, Art, and Science of Sword Swallowing" by swallowing a 100-year-old saw from a museum exhibit. He then tops it off by swallowing a RECORD 15 SWORDS AT ONCE! Watch Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu6S2f...
Man Swallows 100-year-old Museum Exhibit
by Marc Hartzman, AOL Weird News
(Nov 17 - AOL News) -- Invite a sword swallower to a museum and it's bound to happen: He's going to swallow an exhibit. On Sunday, Dan Meyer did just that when he dropped a 100-year-old serrated saw down his throat.
Meyer, president of Sword Swallowers Association International (SSAI), swallowed the tool in front of a packed lecture hall during his presentation on the history and science of sword swallowing at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich, CT.
"It felt kind of bumpy on the edges and it kinda hurt," Meyer told AOL Weird News. "I had to go very slowly and carefully. My throat's a little sore after doing it. The saw is probably more painful than anything else I've ever swallowed."
The sharp-toothed saw once belonged to an early 20th-century sword swallower named Edith Clifford. Elegantly clad in Victorian dress, she was billed as the "Champion Sword Swallower of the World" from 1899 to 1922.
"It's quite a privilege," Meyer said. "This creates a connection for me to Edith Clifford, now that I've swallowed the same prop she's swallowed. It's like doing a straitjacket escape using Houdini's straitjacket."
The saw, along with a dozen other long, sharp objects, was on loan from Meyer for display at the museum's "Circus! Art and Science Under the Big Top" exhibit.
It is believed to be the first artifact pulled from an exhibit to be swallowed.
"Sword swallowing is one of those things that absolutely fascinates people," the museum's director of education, Robin Garr, said. "I think that's proven by the sheer fact that this program is sold out. It's a strange feat, that's for sure -- I don't know if I'll actually be able to watch it."
But everyone else did.
After discussing the history of sword swallowing and its many dangers, Meyer put an end to any lingering doubt that the stunt is faked as he lowered an arsenal of steel into his stomach.
He eased the crowd into it, starting with swords of various lengths before making the audience wince with a pair of hedge clippers, a giant razor, and the historic saw.
As a finale, Meyer attempted a personal record of swallowing 15 swords at once, 6 of which once belonged to Clifford. Meyer tilted his head back and successfully dropped the stack of swords down his gullet.
"I'm elated," he said. He more than doubled his previous record of 7 at once.
It was another tribute to Clifford, who swallowed up to 15 swords at once. During shows she gulped down a giant straight razor and had a bayonet shot down her throat by the recoil of a fired rifle.
Meyer swallowed the straight razor but has yet to attempt the bayonet stunt.
"I thought that might be something to work up to, but you know how hard it is to carry a gun around these days, getting it on a plane or into a venue for an event? What a hassle. If I become an Edith Clifford protege, I may have to work up to it. But I'm not wearing any of her skirts!"
Meyer, 53, began swallowing swords nearly 10 years ago.
"Some people have a midlife crisis and buy a Corvette. Me? I took up swallowing steel," he said.
Even Houdini was impressed after witnessing Clifford's act in a 1919 Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey show. In his book "Miracle Mongers and Their Methods," he wrote about sword swallowers and said Clifford was "the most generously endowed. Possessed of more than ordinary personal charms, a refined taste for dressing both herself and her stage, and an unswerving devotion to her art, she has perfected an act that has found favor even in the Royal Courts of Europe."
Though Clifford had proved immune to the many blades thrust into her body, a cancerous right ovary eventually claimed her life in 1942.
In addition to the museum event, Meyer lectures around the world on the art and science of sword swallowing as the winner of the 2007 Ig Nobel Prize in Medicine. He has appeared on numerous TV programs including "America's Got Talent", "Stan Lee's Superhumans" and "The Today Show". He's also gobbled blades underwater in a tank of sharks for "Ripley's Believe It Or Not!"
But swallowing the saw was a first.
"Most of the other swords I swallow pretty regularly day in and day out," Meyer said. "But Edith's saw is historical, a one-time deal. This was a special event."
Standard YouTube License
- 2:22 Saw IV - The Making of the Spike Trapby Xenites01Featured 211,645
- 4:42 America's Got Talent MOST DANGEROUS ACT: The Amazing World of Brad Byers Hook and Drillby Brad Byers 1,973,971 views
- 2:27 World's Youngest Sword Swallowerby Elizabeth Glover 80,901 views
- 10:51 Extraordinary People - The boy who sees without eyes [1/5]by Equivicae 2,837,574 views
- 1:47 America's Got Talent - Hollywood Round - Arcattackby Philip Speri 6,736,930 views
- 9:12 super human monkey manby TheThoom92 679,316 views
- 4:51 America's Got Talent MOST DANGEROUS ACT: Amazing Sword Swallower near Disasterby Dan Meyer 18,901,738 views
- 2:53 Man without bonesby khimohajir 11,970,400 views
- 55 videos Play all Straight Razorsby shavefan12
- 5:07 America's Got Talent Victoria Jacobyby Ashton Kaufman 24,235,496 views
- 1:31 Man Swallows 11 Swordsby diagonaluk 88,305 views
- 10:25 Sword Swallower Dan Meyer swallows swords, HEDGE CLIPPERS, RAZOR at Bruce Museumby Dan Meyer 1,692 views
- 4:29 America's Got Talent Vegas MOST DANGEROUS ACT: Sword Swallower swallows CURVED SWORD!by Dan Meyer 267,764 views
- 3:12 Stan Lee's Superhumans: Hammer Headby historychannel 838,729 views
- 9:49 The Most Flexible Man In The World Demonstrates Stretching Techniquesby califaces 842,277 views
- 1:23 RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT or NOT Stunt: Sword Swallower vs SHARKS UNDERWATER!by Dan Meyer 11,815 views
- 5:28 Assisted Sword Swallowing UNCUTby rachelstarlive 2,034 views
- 25:25 PINC.11 Talk Sword Swallower Dan Meyer: Art and Science of Doing the Impossibleby Dan Meyer 1,992 views
- 1:08 Ripley's Believe it or Not! Times Squareby RipleysNYC 22,862 views
- 2:45 Blackthorne - Sword swallow, Drilled tongue, Jackhammerby DeadEyeJack 107,360 views
- 1:45 History Channel Stan Lee's SuperHumans: Sword Swallower Swallows RED-HOT SWORD!by Dan Meyer 15,310 views
- Loading more suggestions...