Further Off the Straight & Narrow: New Gay Visibility on TV
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 5, 2006
This important new documentary picks up where Off the Straight & Narrow: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals & Television (1998) left off. Since that video's release in the late 90's, which coincided with the last episode of the popular program Ellen, there has been a marked increase in the presence of GLBT characters on television. Against the backdrop of political and social issues affecting the GLBT community, such as gay marriage and AIDS, Further Off the Straight & Narrow takes a close look at sitcoms, reality shows, and premium cable programming as it explores how representations of GLBT characters have become more complex and varied in recent years. The film acknowledges the expansion of GLBT representation on television and the resulting possibilities for inclusion and recognition opened up for today's gay youth. However, the program also raises questions about how this queer presence on television is shaped by the imperatives of the commercial media system. Further Off the Straight & Narrow argues that the evolution in GLBT representation, like many transformations in a commercially-driven media system, may be best explained less by a sudden commitment to social justice on the part of big media than by advertisers' recognition of the potential of directly targeting GLBT consumers with programming specifically designed to attract their attention.
Featuring interviews with Howard Buford (Founder & CEO, Prime Access, Inc.), Joshua Gamson (University of San Francisco and author, Freaks Talk Back), Larry Gross (Director of Annenberg School for Communication, University of Southern CA), Lisa Henderson (Professor of Communication, University of Massachusetts-Amherst), Katherine Sender (University of Pennsylvania), and Suzanna Walters (Indiana University).
Includes scenes from Sex and the City, The Sopranos, Queer Eye, The Simpsons, South Park, Will and Grace, Ellen, Six Feet Under & Queer as Folk.
Featuring music by The Scissor Sisters.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Filthy/Gorgeous" on
- 6:26 Representation of Gays in the Mediaby misterbengalFeatured 10,228
- 7:07 Class Dismissed: How TV Frames the Working Classby ChallengingMedia 68,999 views
- 4:05 "GAYS IN FILM" (IN HD!)by withlotsabutta 582,179 views
- 7:21 Tyra Show - We're 7 & 8 Years Old and Know We Are Transgender 03/29/10 Part 3by martinnonan 37,695 views
- 5:33 Unexpected GAY KISS on live TVby Thander Easton 260,839 views
- 9:12 Gender Stereotypes in Mediaby dsnook 302,865 views
- 9:31 Tim Wise: On White Privilege (Clip)by ChallengingMedia 705,751 views
- 6:24 The New Gay interviews Stephin Merritt, Pt. 2by TheNewGayTV 6,224 views
- 19:13 What if straight was gay and gay was straightby Quinyse 112,482 views
- 2:19 Gay TV Now: Episode 5--Lesbian portrayalsby MediaweekVideo 30,384 views
- 9:24 bell hooks Pt 1 cultural criticism and transformationby leocine 58,853 views
- 8:09 Wright Stuff - Heinz gay advert too saucy for TV? (24.06.08)by TWStuff 9,732 views
- 6:00 ellen puppy episode pt 2by Michael Scott 132,318 views
- 5:24 Kate Moennig My Address-A Look at Gay Youth Homelessness Ep1by chiuwenyen 40,140 views
- 5:37 Russell Tovey gay story line [part 4]by calaeb 88,000 views
- 0:48 Rove & Chas Gay Kiss - Making Out on National TVby jasper9966 324,470 views
- 6:48 Off the Straight & Narrow: Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals & TVby ChallengingMedia 17,475 views
- 3:13 Mad TV Gay Gangster Fightby Gamer4051 9,218,715 views
- 5:13 Speak Up!by ChallengingMedia 7,423 views
- 9:58 RAW Comedy Club - Steve Hughesby hattifnatt7 1,029,607 views
- Loading more suggestions...