Unlimited Detail Technology
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 26, 2010
Unlimited Detail Homepage:
Part 2 is here !
Edit: Seeing as this video has gained a fair amount of interest, I'll post a quick description of how it works here... This description can be found on their site, via the link above.
How does it work?
If you have a background in the industry you know the above pictures are impossible. A computer cant have unlimited power and it cant process unlimited point cloud data because every time you process a point it must take up some processor time. But I assure you, it's real and it all works.
Unlimited Details method is very different to any 3D method that has been invented so far. The three current systems used in 3D graphics are Ray tracing polygons and point cloud/voxels, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Polygons runs fast but has poor geometry, Ray-trace and voxels have perfect geometry but run very slowly.
Unlimited Detail is a fourth system, which is more like a search algorithm than a 3D engine. It is best explained like this: if you had a word document and you went to the SEARCH tool and typed in a word like MONEY the search tool quickly searches for every place that word appeared in the document. Google and Yahoo are also search engines that go looking for things very quickly. Unlimited Detail is basically a point cloud search algorithm. We can build enormous worlds with huge numbers of points, then compress them down to be very small. The Unlimited Detail engine works out which direction the camera is facing and then searches the data to find only the points it needs to put on the screen it doesnt touch any unneeded points, all it wants is 1024*768 (if that is our resolution) points, one for each pixel of the screen. It has a few tricky things to work out, like: what objects are closest to the camera, what objects cover each other, how big should an object be as it gets further back. But all of this is done by a new sort of method that we call MASS CONNECTED PROCESSING. Mass connected processing is where we have a way of processing masses of data at the same time and then applying the small changes to each part at the end.
The result is a perfect pure bug free 3D engine that gives Unlimited Geometry running super fast, and it's all done in software.
Standard YouTube License
- 45:32 Ancient Technology (Part 1)by Jason MartellFeatured 2,281,287
- 3:17 Euclideon's unlimited detail technology at GDC Europe 2011by PirateGaming 29,366 views
- 0:40 Euclideon Does Animationby SpaceKitteh 29,251 views
- 12:43 Unlimited Detail NEW Technologyby UnlimitedDetail 257,176 views
- 6:29 Totally Amazing Technology In This Houseby rohanistalented 948,745 views
- 36 videos Play all 2 unlimitedby sisitg
- 5:17 Unlimited Detail Further Desciption Part 2by Quipster99 150,139 views
- 5:06 Amazing Technology....by Shahnaz Ali 1,773,505 views
- 10:06 HAARP Technologyby gymmybhoy 256,244 views
- 9:48 Unlimited Detail Comparison Demoby John Oliver 38,903 views
- 2:14 10 Future Technologies That Already Existby Alltime10s 2,447,340 views
- 23:41 Ray Kurzweil: The accelerating power of technologyby TEDtalksDirector 195,765 views
- 10:29 Nano Technologyby vitrohype 358,119 views
- 0:05 Unlimited Detail Point Cloud Animation Testby Quipster99 69,008 views
- 6:32 Atomontage Engine - A Large Game-Like Sceneby AtomontageEngine 123,868 views
- 5:19 Atomontage Engine - The Future Is Volumetric, Atom-Based - Unofficial video-blog #1 (part 1 of 3)by AtomontageEngine 106,366 views
- 3:32 Future Gaming Technologyby surrealms 156,078 views
- 9:58 Evolution Of Videogame Graphics (From Pixels To Polygons)by flarenixx 203,985 views
- 7:19 IDF 2010 - Ray Tracing with 80 threadsby camwilmot 81,716 views
- 7:26 Unlimited Detail Further Description Part 1by Quipster99 123,343 views
- 2:34 Euclideon Unlimited Detail Is A Hoaxby lockergnome 46,558 views
- Loading more suggestions...