Uploaded on Dec 28, 2010
S 510 Fake Food Safety bill passed by Senate in late-night sneak attack on small farmers and food freedom.After a year in legal limbo and what looked like certain defeat only weeks ago, the House this afternoon passed the Food Safety Modernization Act (a.k.a. S. 510), paving the way for the first overhaul of America's food safety system in seven decades.
- Allows the FDA to issue direct food recalls. Currently, recalls are issued voluntarily by food producers.
- Allows the FDA to set national standards for growing & harvesting produce.
- Directs the Secretary of Health and Human Services to create a streamlined tracking system that will more easily find the source of an outbreak.
- The FDA can require importers to adhere to U.S. food safety standards and verify the safety of their products.
- Requires food producers will have to examine their production methods, identify possible sources of contamination and develop written food safety plans to prevent that from occurring.
- Requires the FDA to increase inspection of food plants, both in this country and abroad.
- Protects whistle-blowers who report unsafe conditions in food plants.
After passing in the Senate in late November, S. 510 stalled in the House until a whole lot of backroom wheeling and dealing brought the bill to the floor. Today's vote in the House will send the bill to President Obama, who is expected to sign it into law before Christmas.
The real test will come in putting the law into action. S. 510 could be made toothless if the FDA doesn't receive the funding to carry out these directives. "Republicans who will gain control of the House next year have vowed to slash spending on many domestic programs and deep cuts could hobble the F.D.A. just as it gains the new authority," reports the New York Times.
For more info on videos like this please go to WWW.FRANKTORTORICI.COM
Standard YouTube License