Google is at a Decision Point on China - No to Censorship in China
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 13, 2010
FBR's Terry Says Google is at a Decision Point on China.
Google Attacked from China: Wake-up Call to International Business
January 12, 2010
Google today issued a statement that it will reconsider the company's operations in China, following an investigation bringing to light a sophisticated and targeted attack on [Googles] infrastructure originating from China. Human Rights in China (HRIC) is providing a Chinese translation of the statement.
In addition to the theft of intellectual property from Google, its investigation revealed that more than 20 other large companies have been similarly targeted. The company cites evidence that the primary goal of the attacks was to access Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. The company also discovered that, independent of the attack on Google, the accounts of Gmail users based in the U.S., China, and Europe appear to have been routinely accessed by third parties.
This is a wake-up call to the international community about the real risks of doing business in China, especially in the information communications technology (ICT) industry an industry that is essential to the protection of freedom of expression and privacy rights, said Sharon Hom, executive director of Human Rights in China.
The outcome of Googles discussions with the Chinese government will send a strong message about the future stakes for foreign businesses operating in China.
A new approach to China
1/12/2010 03:00:00 PM
Like many other well-known organizations, we face cyber attacks of varying degrees on a regular basis. In mid-December, we detected a highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China that resulted in the theft of intellectual property from Google. However, it soon became clear that what at first appeared to be solely a security incident--albeit a significant one--was something quite different.
First, this attack was not just on Google. As part of our investigation we have discovered that at least twenty other large companies from a wide range of businesses--including the Internet, finance, technology, media and chemical sectors--have been similarly targeted. We are currently in the process of notifying those companies, and we are also working with the relevant U.S. authorities.
Second, we have evidence to suggest that a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. Based on our investigation to date we believe their attack did not achieve that objective. Only two Gmail accounts appear to have been accessed, and that activity was limited to account information (such as the date the account was created) and subject line, rather than the content of emails themselves.
Third, as part of this investigation but independent of the attack on Google, we have discovered that the accounts of dozens of U.S.-, China- and Europe-based Gmail users who are advocates of human rights in China appear to have been routinely accessed by third parties. These accounts have not been accessed through any security breach at Google, but most likely via phishing scams or malware placed on the users' computers.
Continue reading here....
Standard YouTube License
- 3:50 Google Uncensored Search Engine in China - A new Directionby TheRealChina 2,467 views
- 3:39 Google to Stop Censoring China Search Engine China dot cnby TheRealChina 1,791 views
- 3:24 Google On China - No More Censorship !by TheRealChina 1,619 views
- 1:44 Google Threatens To End Operations in China - No to Censorship in Chinaby TheRealChina 586 views
- 3:58 Google Threat: Chinese Reactionby bonnetwork 3,217 views
- 1:32 CBS Covers Chinese Cyber Attacks on Tibetan Studentby TheRealChina 1,227 views
- 22:12 2013-05-17 - China Volley Masters - Cuba vs Thailand - คิวบา VS ไทย - set 1by volleyvids 7,155 views
- 2:27 Video Dispatch: Google, China and a Question of Riskby STRATFORvideo 6,465 views
- 5:41 China impacts Oklahomaby OklahomaHorizonTV 189 views
- 5:08 The reaction to Google's challenge to Chinaby The Guardian 3,422 views
- 2:51 5 Things You Didn't Know about Google in Chinaby SimonSchusterVideos 7,629 views
- 5:23 China's Media Campaignby bonnetwork 135 views
- 4:38 US holds hearing on Google in China - RT 100310by newsupload2010 1,265 views
- 3:56 Proof ! Screams for help at China's secret BLACK JAILS - 27 Apr 09by TheRealChina 364 views
- 0:57 Can You Own Private Property In Chinaby bonnetwork 135 views
- 0:40 Tibet To Have World's Highest Airportby Tantao News 4,384 views
- 22:34 2013-05-18 - China Volley Masters - China vs Thailand ไทย - set 1by volleyvids 8,868 views
- 2:44 China's firewall around Tibetby TheRealChina 638 views
- 2:09 A Stanford Tibetan Student's Google Gmail account Hacked from Chinaby SUBSCRIBE to TibetArchive 1,855 views
- 1:24 Face and Finger Scan Technology Deployed at Chinese Customs Pointsby TantaoNews 477 views
- Loading more suggestions...