BAE Systems - Adaptiv IR Camouflage System [720p]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 10, 2011
BAE Systems Conjures Up Invisibility Cloak.
05 Sep 2011 | Ref. 162/2012.
ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden. -- BAE Systems has tested an 'invisibility cloak' that allows a vehicle to blend into its surroundings. The system, which can work over infra-red and other frequencies, will be displayed in infra-red mode on a BAE Systems CV90 armoured vehicle at the UK Defence and Security Equipment International exhibition later this month.
Known as "Adaptiv", the patented technology is based on sheets of hexagonal 'pixels' that can change temperature very rapidly. On-board cameras pick up the background scenery and display that infra-red image on the vehicle, allowing even a moving tank to match its surroundings. Alternatively, it can mimic another vehicle or display identification tags, reducing the risk of fratricide.
Current work focuses mainly on the infra-red spectrum, as this is most important to the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration (FMV), which funds part of the work. However, BAE Systems engineers have combined the pixels with other technologies, which provide camouflage in other parts of the electro-magnetic spectrum at the same time to provide all-round stealth, which will be developed further over the next few years.
Trials by BAE Systems in mid-July showed that one side of a CV90 could be made effectively invisible or appear to be other objects, including a 4x4 vehicle, when viewed in the infra-red spectrum.
Project manager, Peder Sjölund explains: "Earlier attempts at similar cloaking devices have hit problems because of cost, excessive power requirements or because they were insufficiently robust. Our panels can be made so strong that they provide useful armour protection and consume relatively low levels of electricity, especially when the vehicle is at rest in 'stealth recce' mode and generator output is low."
He adds: "We can resize the pixels to achieve stealth for different ranges. A warship or building, for instance, might not need close-up stealth, so could be fitted with larger panels."
Standard YouTube License
Brian De Mercier
- 51:44 Chitra: The Story Behind Boforsby newslaundry Featured 16,892
- 7:55 M777by Nijan Gamer74,014 views
- 7:07 DDG-1000 Zumwalt Class Destroyer.flvby Hossam Zein414,291 views
- 9:01 US Military Optical Invisibility Camouflage Technologyby NevaehWest19,195 views
- 2:32 Invisible Cloak for Soldiers Now A Realityby littlejimmy95133,990 views
- 1:17 China Future Aircraft Carrier Conceptsby surfdawg53,007,539 views
- 1:24 BAE Systems - Alligator 6x6 Armoured Patrol Vehicleby Extreme Weapons22,047 views
- 1:13 BAE Systems - CV90 Armadillo Armoured Personnel Carrier Delivered For Danish Army Trials [1080p]by arronlee3330,894 views
- 10:40 How to assemble the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriersby QEClassCarriers40,177 views
- 53:26 Kings of Camouflageby Civil Digital1,198,460 views
- 1:49 BAE Systems - AAV7A1 RAM/RS Assault Amphibious Vehicle [720p]by arronlee339,640 views
- 2:23 Invisible Tank - Chameleon Tank 'changes shape', invisible to infraredby Zeno Effect591,084 views
- 5:18 Swedish Hagglunds CV90 IFV / CV 90 / Combat Vehicle 90by TankNutDave17,418 views
- 1:23 BAE Systems - Alligator 6x6 Armoured Patrol Vehicle [480p]by arronlee33548,631 views
- 9:51 Liquid Armorby cplai911,378 views
- 3:16 BAE Systems - Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carrier Simulation [480p]by arronlee33180,876 views
- 4:06 Eltics "Black Fox" Thermal IR Countermeasure System [Full Version]by defenseupdate17,753 views
- 2:14 YF-23 The World's Only INVISIBLE airplaneby lmprods16,034,910 views
- 1:08 BAE Systems - CV90 Infantry Fighting Vehicle [480p]by arronlee33116,543 views
- 2:03 BAE Systems - RG35 4X4 Reconnaissance Patrol Utility (RPU) Vehicle [480p]by arronlee33352,790 views
- Loading more suggestions...