Thumbtack: online marketplace for local services
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 17, 2011
Where do you go when you need to find a plumber or a babysitter or a hairstylist? Merchants like these aren't always on the Internet, and it can be difficult to locate service providers who have been vetted such that you can use them with confidence. Thumbtack is solving that problem with its online marketplace.
"What's happening is that these services are more and more being found and booked online," explains Marco Zappacosta, Co-founder and CEO of Thumbtack, Inc. "If you think about it, these are things that people have always needed—cleaners, babysitters, handymen, plumbers—but now, more and more people think to go online to find them."
A host of other companies have recognized this trend are and competing in the same space. Thumbtack, however, has taken a different approach.
"We see ourselves much more as a marketplace than many of these other players," says Zappacosta, "and that means that we help merchants have a storefront, a presence online and help consumers vet them and book them right then and there. A lot of these players are actually sort of channels for these merchants (so one other place where they might be able to get another client), but we really see ourselves as their home online."
With over 140,000 active merchants and a growth rate of 5,000 per week, Thumbtack is expanding at a rapid pace.
"I think one of the reasons you see so many companies doing this now is that merchants by and large have come to understand the Internet is a channel they need to be on," says Zappacosta. "It's not seen as a question mark anymore. They know that's where people are looking. They know that's where they have to be."
One of Thumbtack's key objectives is to make the process as hassle-free as possible for merchants so they can focus on their core businesses. "We have to work really hard to make it easy to use, to make it obvious, and really we want to abstract away online marketing," says Zappacosta. "There's no reason why these merchants who are so busy and so hard-working should spend their time worrying about SEO or SEM, or social media buys. We want to abstract all of that away, give them a home online and then deliver them new clients when they need them."
Thumbtack web site: http://www.thumbtack.com/
Thumbtack blog: http://blog.thumbtack.com/
Thumbtack profile on CrunchBase: http://www.crunchbase.com/company/thu...
Thumbtack on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thumbtack
Standard YouTube License
- 17:02 See the video app that Techcrunch called "fun and tactile"by Rackspace Studios, SFO794 views
- 15:25 RapidBiz: app development tool for non-developersby Rackspace Studios, SFO2,222 views
- 15:10 Plizyby Rackspace Studios, SFO2,219 views
- 16:08 Nanosysby Rackspace Studios, SFO26,466 views
- 1:11:35 - Startups - Marco Zappacosta of Thumbtack - TWiST #241by This Week In Startups3,116 views
- 52:21 Into the night with Garry Kasparov and Peter Thielby KasparovCom38,592 views
- 5:50 Zaarly's local marketplace creates a new economy | Startup Lifeby A Total Disruption1,625 views
- 2:46 Atlantis Online Marketplace: One Stop Shop for All Things Illegalby What's the Big Deal?26,000 views
- 6:49 THUMBTACK: Team Philippinesby Amy Montalvo1,922 views
- 1:42:56 This Week in Startups - Marco Zappacosta, CEO and Co-Founder of Thumbtackby This Week In Startups2,255 views
- 2:30 How To Make Personalized Push-Pinsby HandStampedStyle642 views
- 5:16 Push Pin Portraitsby CBS6,096 views
- 4:33 Joe Hackman Test Drives Thumbtack.comby Joe Hackman1,757 views
- 7:22 AADAP Story of Hope- Kevinby PeopleNeedPeople493 views
- 2:47 Canadian Online Marketplace: BusinessesForSale Business Vlogby BusinessesForSaleTV130 views
- 6:07 data entry job trainingby usama000074,977 views
- 5:58 Tribute to Steve Jobs Think Differentby Shuyang Sun886,056 views
- 5:12 What is an Autoresponder and How Does It Work?by Tom Trush1,740 views
- 4:07 How to craft your 30 second elevator pitch or networking introductionby Kathy McAfee86,965 views
- 3:09 Reddit Defends The Online Marketplaceby THNKR2,457 views
- Loading more suggestions...