Ashbourne Shrovetide Football 2010, Tuesday 16th February - part 1 of 2 in HD
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 19, 2010
Follow me on Twitter : https://twitter.com/AndySavage1969
For details of the 2013 game :
Please click the "720p" button at the bottom of the video then fullscreen mode for best quality.
Part 2 of this video can be seen here :
If you can spot yourself in my video, leave a comment with the timecode where you spotted yourself.
All images and video footage was taken by me on 16th February 2010.
Ashbourne Football is one of the Oldest Shrovetide football games in England.
It was first recorded in 1682
The Game is played annually on Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday, and consists of two teams, one from anyone born to the North of the River Henmore, and one from people born South of the river, these are known as Up'ards and Down'ards.
The Goals are on the sites of Old mills, one at Clifton and one at Sturston, these are three miles apart.
A goal is scored by a player striking the mill wheel three times with the Ball.
The ball may be kicked, carried or thrown, but generally proceeds in a series of 'hugs' invisible to the spectator. The game can last for many hours, finishing well after dark.
The game starts at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, when a specially prepared ball - larger than a football and filled with cork which weighs around 4lbs is thrown in by a visiting guest of honor.
My video should hopefully give you an idea of what its like.
If you can spot yourself in my video, Please leave a comment.
More videos and Photographs
If you liked my 2010 footage of Ashbourne Shrovetide Football then you may like my 2007 footage...
For photographs of the 2008 game, see my website :
For photographs of the 2007 game, see my website :
For photographs of the 2006 game, see my website :
For photographs of the 2005 game, see my website :
For photographs of the 2004 game, see my website :
For photographs of the 2002 game, see my website :
Please rate and comment.
Subscribe so you never miss out on local videos!
Standard YouTube License
- 5:19 Ashbourne Shrovetide Football 2010, Tuesday 16th February - part 2 of 2 in HDby comedyhunter10,240 views
- 9:33 Ashbourne Royal Shrovetide Football - 20th Feb 2007by comedyhunter20,608 views
- 4:55 Ashbourne Shrovetide Football 2012, Tuesday 21st February - Part 1. Footy Madness!by comedyhunter15,156 views
- 5:05 Ashbourne Shrovetide Football, 24th Feb 2009. The maddest game of football in the world.by comedyhunter25,955 views
- 10:50 Land Rover Ashbourne to Buxton A515 in snow.by Lonskipod1,255 views
- Ashbourne, Derbyshire 444 videos0
- 6:28 LSD Concentration Camps in the 1968 film "Wild in the Streets"by Blyledge8,961 views
- 5:02 Ashbourne Royal Shrovetide Football - Ash Wednesday 2008by edddawson44,671 views
- 17 videos Play all mob gamesby bigguyed2006
- 5:44 Kirkwall Baby doonielads42,710 views
- 9:16 The Spirit of Ashbourne - Shrovetide Football 2011by charlotteemilymann4,612 views
- 5:57 Ashbourne Shrovetide mass football HD 2012by Jordan Dooley1,984 views
- 9:00 Shrovetide Football 2010: Shrove Tuesdayby Andrew Worthington3,056 views
- 4:10 Unusual Traditions: Cheese Rolling, Glos., England, UKby Little Big Projects13,413 views
- 4:57 The Atherstone Ball Gameby Ginger Wildheart9,770 views
- 5:28 Ashbourne Shrovetide Football 2012, Tuesday 21st February - Part 4. Footy Madness!by comedyhunter3,690 views
- 0:40 Ashbourne Shrovetide Football 2010by Fradiavolo673,533 views
- 6:13 Snow drifts A515 Sudbury to Ashbourne, March 25, 2013by Ashbourne NewsTelegraph700 views
- 4:08 8th march 2011.shrovetide footballby matalan141,786 views
- 7:35 Mob Football, Prince Charles and True Britsby jrdaeschner1,927 views